Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damon Courting the Reds

Damon Courting the Reds

Boras and Damon are trying to engage the Detroit Tigers and Cincinnati Reds as possible alternatives, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Cincinnati's outfield alignment currently consists of Jay Bruce in right field, Drew Stubbs in center field and Chris Dickerson in left. The Reds' leadoff hitters also ranked last in the major leagues with a .650 OPS in 2009.

The catch is, the Reds and Tigers don't appear to have much money left in the budget. Both clubs have been economizing this offseason, and that might be truer than ever now that Cincinnati has signed Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman and Detroit has added closer Jose Valverde. Both teams would probably have to get creative to make a run at Damon.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4861828

I hope the Reds are considering this. I'm all for it if the price is right.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Damon Courting the Reds

Just depends on what they think I guess. If you really think we have a shot this year, get Damon (which as a fan I can't help but be excited about that) but if not, you might as well give a prospect a shot such as Heisey or even a Balentien. The problem is, if history repeats itself, the Reds will wait and let Damon sign somewhere else then sign some over the hill vet at a minor league contract who will take at bats away from our prospects.

If he would come, I'd love to have him here.

He'd fill that 2nd hole in the batting order, and be an answer to the LF problem.

On the other hand, it does block Heisey, etc., but if the price is right, I'm all for it.

BTW, jimbo, you beat tORG by 3 minutes!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

What price would be "right" in your opinion? I say nothing more than 1-2 year 5mil/year deal. Anything over that is sorely overpaying IMO.

-Matt

That sounds about right. 1-2 yr. 4-5 M. If he'd settle for 3.5 or 4, that would be great, but I'd say he's worth more than the great Willy Taveras.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Oh without a doubt. What would happen financially to the Reds if Willy had an "accident" and could no longer play baseball? (not that he can now, but anyways...)

-Matt

Sure the guy cannot hit the cut-off man when throwing one in from LF, but I'm worth the risk if the price is right for his bat in LF.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

No Damon. Please.

Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Id give him a 2 yr 13mil. deal. 6 mil 2010 and 7 mil 2011.

Id give him a 2 yr 13mil. deal. 6 mil 2010 and 7 mil 2011
    That's a little high, don't you think. I don't know if Bob can manage to open his checkbook that much after doing it for Chapman.

No Damon. Please.
    Why? If we can get him for under 5 M a yr., we've got a good 2nd hitter. (MUCH better than Janish, at least), and it would let Janish bat 8th, where we could keep him in the line-up.

I say no just to say "F you" to Boras
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

As has been stated before, it only makes sense if you think the Reds can make a real run at the division title this year. Otherwise, let the youngun's play.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

We have too many in house options to go after Damon. I would think that at least 1 of Heisey, Dickerson, Frazier, Francisco, Nix, Anderson, or Alonso could step up and fill our hole in left.

I'd do it for a reasonable contract something in the 1-2 years 4-5mil range. Doubt that'd get it done. He'd probably put up decent numbers at GABP and he'd be a tradeable commodity if the Reds fail to contend. I'd keep Stubbs in center and look at Damon in left with Dickerson as the 4th outfielder.

Turn Off Ads?