Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Miguel Cairo

Reds Sign Miguel Cairo

FYI

Reds Sign Miguel Cairo
    The Reds signed infielder Miguel Cairo to a minor league deal. Cairo, 36 in May, played briefly for the Phillies last year and hit .287/.325/.392 for their Triple A club. He's capable of playing all around the diamond.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Sign Miguel Cairo

Cairo is basically an old Wilkin Castillo, right? Oh well, more organizational filler...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Good depth.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

He's a serviceable, veteran, back up middle infielder. A nice compliment to Sutton and Rosales or depth in AAA in case someone gets hurt. He actually was a starter on a few teams, although mostly due to injuries, so that's a nice plus. I know some people don't value this, but he has always been known as one of those guys who "plays the game the right way."
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Great move for Spring-Training back-to-backers.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

If I had made this thread I would have titled it 'Reds sign former Yankee outfielder', just to be a jerk.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    If I had made this thread I would have titled it 'Reds sign former Yankee outfielder', just to be a jerk.
    Haha!

I have never been a Cairo fan.. And I'm still not

High five!

Stanley Cup, here we come!

No, I don't know what that means.

Candidate for that split squad game in Las Vegas.

He was on the post season roster! He's a winner!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    He was on the post season roster! He's a winner!
    Close enough...sign him up.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Not in this thread in particular, but I think its time people start to eat some crow.

.298/.371/.430/.801

OPS+ 113

I can think of a few people that rag on Dusty and Walt all the time for this move, and its time for them to give Walt and Dusty their props.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I'm thrilled with what Cairo has given us, but don't regret my position in the least. He's a 36 year-old utility guy who's a capable, but not good, defender who has put up an OPS north of .720 twice in his career - in 2001 & 2004. Sometimes bad decisions work out well -- it doesn't mean they were good decisions.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Not in this thread in particular, but I think its time people start to eat some crow.

.298/.371/.430/.801

OPS+ 113

I can think of a few people that rag on Dusty and Walt all the time for this move, and its time for them to give Walt and Dusty their props.
    I don't think Miguel Cairo has magically turned into a good player at the age of 36. He's had an exceptionally good first half of the year. I doubt his second half is particularly valuable to the team. His OPS+ from now until the end of the year is pretty likely to be at (but probably below given his age) his career average of 77.

The good thing about pinch hitters though is that you're not asking them to be great for long periods. If most folks are being ingenuous, getting a good pinch hitter is like playing craps. There's not much science to it--if there were, those best pinch hitters would be starters.

Turn Off Ads?