Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which free agents would you like the Reds to sign?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny Damon

34 45.33%
  • Orlando Cabrera

33 44.00%
  • Johnny Gomes

23 30.67%
  • Felipe Lopez

15 20.00%
  • Hank Blalock

4 5.33%
  • Melvin Mora

0 0%
  • Other

6 8.00%
  • None

10 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents - Who would you like the Reds to sign?

Free Agents - Who would you like the Reds to sign?

Damon, Gomes, Lopez, Cabrera, Mora, Blalock, or other?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Free Agents - Who would you like the Reds to sign?

Damon

Maybe Cabrera
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

High five!

Here is a current list.

High five!

Ah, sorry, didn't see it was a poll.

High five!

From that list: Other, Lopez, Damon, Cabrera. "Other" being a pitcher coming here on the cheap like John Smoltz or Erik Bedard.

Yes...I know.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    From that list: Other, Lopez, Damon, Cabrera. "Other" being a pitcher coming here on the cheap like John Smoltz or Erik Bedard.

Yes...I know.
    Yeah, I would like the Reds to sign Bedard as well, but I haven't heard any rumblings about pitchers. That's why I just went with the hitters. BTW, I went with Damon and Lopez.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I chose Gomes, Cabrera, and Blalock. I think they all would serve a power core to help drive this team to the playoffs.

Gomes we all know crushes lefties and was an amazing story last season.

Cabrera is what the team needs instead of Janish at SS. Janish will be great in late innings.

Blalock is a guy who can play 1st, 3rd, and perhaps the comers in the outfield. I like him off the bench.

$7-8MM for the trio?

None. I do not see any of these players as offering significant value beyond the in-house options. I wouldn't be unhappy with Gomes on the right contract.

I'd have the most interest in Cabrera and a starting pitcher like Wang. It sounds like Wang might miss the first couple months which should lower his price but also have him ready when/if either Arroyo or Harang are dealt mid-season. There are a few others I'd have some interest in but just not quite as much as those two.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-28-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Johnny Damon, Felipe Lopez (for the bench), and Erik Bedard. Too bad they don't have enough money to make it happen...

I picked "none".

Play the kids.

i voted for Damon.

i've come around on the merits of Cabrera. the main issue is what do the Reds scout's think about his defense? (see the thread regarding him)

i don't see the role for Gomes since we have Balentien

pass on Mora

Felo has attitude issues doesn't he? pass here too.

i am willing to go with maloney, owings, wood or chapman as the 5th starter if we could scrape up the cash for damon & Cabrera. heck, if we got these two i would rank us as division favorites.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

i went damon and sexson for my other

I didn't pick Damon because I think he's completely unrealistic.

Of the realistic guys I chose Gomes, Blalock and Other with Other being Russell Branyan. Any one of those guys would be a huge boost. Votto to LF and Blalock or Branyan at 1B or Gomes in LF.

Either way the suspects in LF aren't the answer. Nix and Taveras should be sent off anywhere but here. Heisey and Dickerson could be on the bench or platooning in CF. Balentein and Francisco should be fall back options who continue to develop.

I'd be marketing Stubbs while his value is up and planning on Heisey/Dickerson in CF. Put Votto in LF and sign Branyan until Alonso comes up. Frazier would be a supersub when he arrives.

The idea of having legit players in the line-up and talent on the bench seems to have been forgotten around here. No need to hold a spot in LF to give ABs to young players who are likely to project as talented bench players on a good team. Let Frazier be a super sub, let Heisey and Dickerson platoon in CF or play the 4th and 5th OF roles that suit them better. Send suspects like Nix and Taveras away. And if you can fill a hole by drawing on your depth, sometimes it means dealing a higher profile guy like Stubbs to get what you need and backfilling from within. I doubt Heisey or Dickerson would bring back much in trade, but Stubbs could probably fetch some talent.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

In order Cabrera, Damon and an arm that could pay big dividends without paying much for like Bedard and/or Wang. I don't think I'd have much interest in Felipe but I might consider Tony Clark or Branyan for a bench role. Maybe a Kip Wells, Dustin Moseley or Cha Seung Baek for AAA depth.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?