Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengals Maualuga charged with DUI

Bengals Maualuga charged with DUI

CINCINNATI -- Police in northern Kentucky have arrested Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga on charges of drunken and careless driving.

Covington police spokesman Spike Jones says Maualuga hit a parking meter and two parked cars early Friday with his 2003 Pontiac. There was minor damage.

The 23-year-old is being held without bond at Kenton County jail, and no attorney is listed for him.

The Bengals' 2009 second-round draft choice from Southern Cal started the first 15 games of his rookie season before breaking his left ankle.

Team spokesman Jack Brennan says he won't comment until the case is resolved.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals Maualuga charged with DUI

Great work, Rey.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

The more things change....

All my life I've been a Bengals fan, and as I watched more football as an adult the Colts became my #2 team to root for. Incidents like this, the Ochocinco holdout debacle and seeing Mike Brown's refusal to pony up the dough to field a winner (practice bubble anyone?) are pushing me more and more to flip those two teams in my fandom hierarchy.

Ridiculous.

Geez Rey way to go. :thumbdown Let's not make this an ongoing issue there buddy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Good job helping the Bengals image Rey.

I know it's his business, but I wonder why a guy who's making hundreds of thousands of dollar is driving a 2003 Pontiac?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

He made a stupid mistake but, fortunately, noone was hurt. As long as this is a one time thing I don't see a reason to make a big deal about it. And judging from the other comments that seems like that's all most people want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I know it's his business, but I wonder why a guy who's making hundreds of thousands of dollar is driving a 2003 Pontiac?
    I read that it was not his car and he was accompanied by two females - one is 18 and the other under 18.

Cincinnati Bengals rookie linebacker Rey Maualuga was arrested early Friday in Covington on charges of drunken driving and careless driving after he allegedly struck two parked cars and a parking meter.

Maualuga, 23, of Cincinnati appeared in Kenton County District Court via a video link from the jail. He pleaded not guilty and was released from jail at 10:30 a.m. on his promise to return for future appearances. He left with Covington attorney W. Robert Lotz.

Maualuga was arrested at 1:45 a.m. Friday after officers responded to 634 Scott Street for a report of a traffic accident, according to Covington Assistant Police Chief Spike Jones.

Police determined that Maualuga was the driver of a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire with Ohio plates that struck two parked vehicles and a parking meter, Jones said. Two female passengers who were with Maualuga were released without being charged.

Maualuga smelled of "intoxicants" and told the officer that he had "about six Captain and Coke drinks," the report states. The officer gave Maualuga field sobriety tests, which he failed, the report states.

"Subject had slurred speech, blood shot, watery eyes and he was unsteady on his feet," the officer wrote.

Maualuga had a blood-alcohol level of .157, according to a Covington Police report. The legal limit is .08. He is scheduled to appear in court Feb. 25 for a pre-trial conference.

Maualuga's arrest puts him up for possible discipline under the NFL's personal conduct policy. Since it is an an alcohol-related offense, he also could be entered into Stage 1 of the league's substance abuse program. Entry in that program is confidential. It is only when a player is in Stage 2 or 3 of the program, where he could be suspended for drug- or alcohol-related offenses that it is publicized.

Maualuga remained in Cincinnati since the end of the season to continue rehabilitation after suffering a broken left ankle in the Dec. 27 game against Kansas City. He started 15 games at outside linebacker in his rookie season after being drafted in the second round.

Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan said: "We don't believe it's appropriate to comment on matters that are not resolved."

This is not Maualuga's first arrest on alcohol-related charges. As a freshman at Southern California in 2005, he drank too much and got in a fight at a Halloween party and was arrested for misdemeanor battery. The charge was eventually dismissed when he agreed to participate in an arraignment diversion program that included counseling, community service and attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

In 2006, the Los Angeles Times reported that then-coach Pete Carroll disciplined him for unruly behavior at a fraternity party. Said Maualuga of those incidents in a USA Today article in 2008: "You learn that you're only given a certain number of chances. If you keep going back to the same things you were doing, it shows that you don't learn from anything. You're not a person that people can count on. It's all about respect, and you can lose that respect. People won't look up to you."

Suprised he could fit in a Sunfire

This is not Maualuga's first arrest on alcohol-related charges. As a freshman at Southern California in 2005, he drank too much and got in a fight at a Halloween party and was arrested for misdemeanor battery. The charge was eventually dismissed when he agreed to participate in an arraignment diversion program that included counseling, community service and attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

In 2006, the Los Angeles Times reported that then-coach Pete Carroll disciplined him for unruly behavior at a fraternity party. Said Maualuga of those incidents in a USA Today article in 2008: "You learn that you're only given a certain number of chances. If you keep going back to the same things you were doing, it shows that you don't learn from anything. You're not a person that people can count on. It's all about respect, and you can lose that respect. People won't look up to you."
    Uh oh, I didn't realize there was already a history. Hopefully he's able to learn that he can't keep doing this kind of thing. For his own sake.

Wow.
    Last edited by macro; 01-29-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Masked profanity

Welcome to the Bengals, Rey? He got his cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I read that it was not his car and he was accompanied by two females - one is 18 and the other under 18.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Jeez, I get a warning for my post?

Turn Off Ads?