Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The rules of fan loyalty

Re: The rules of fan loyalty

Growing up, I too, felt that Willie Mays was the greatest player in the game. My favorite pitcher of all time was Sandy Koufax, he of the hated Dodgers. There have always been players from other teams that I loved to watch. As a youngster, I loved to watch Brooks Robinson play third base. Pure magic. Bench will always be the catcher that I measure all others from. Keith Hernandez was a magical first baseman. I loved to watch Clemente in the outfield. From a hitting standpoint, I love to watch the intricacy of players swings. The theory of the day is that you have to keep the front foot totally closed on impact, but Ted Williams hit with a completely open front foot, and many of the great players of the 60's completely rolled over on the front foot. I love the Reds, and they are my team, but the game is so much bigger and if I limited myself to only the Reds, my appreciation of the game would be so much less.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm a lifelong Reds and Bengals fan, and that's about it. When it comes to all other sports, I have teams that I like and I guess you could call me a fan of those teams. The only thing that bugs me is when you get those hyper "die-hards" who feel that you can't be a fan of their team because you weren't there when times were hard. I've been a Bengals fan throughout all their troubles, but I would never begrudge another person rooting for the Bengals just because they weren't there in the horrible '90s.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Reds and whomever plays the Yankees/Cubs/Cards

Bengals and whomever plays the Steelers

I have very few loyalties in sports. I have my hometown teams as well as my alma matter (OSU). Other than that I will root for Gonzaga basketball but thats about it. Don't particularly like another MLB or NFL team enough to have a rooting interest in them.

To be honest when I am watching a game its more of a gut feeling than anything. I feel as I have gotten older I root for the teams that I don't despise the most. Normally when watching a big game I root for the underdog and the team that is playing my rival.

I don't really have rules for fan loyalty. I can't find myself picking another NFL team besides the Bengals. Its just hard to hang up 27 years of a rooting interest and pick up another team. It sure would be much easier being a Steelers, Colts, Pats, Yankees, Red Sox fan, but what is the fun in that.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Growing up, I too, felt that Willie Mays was the greatest player in the game.
    I just saw in the morning paper that James S. Hirsch has a biography coming out about Mays, one in which Willie cooperated, which is very unusual.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Bob Costas is doing an interview with him in a couple of weeks on the Baseball Network. I believe it is on, Tuesday the 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I just saw in the morning paper that James S. Hirsch has a biography coming out about Mays, one in which Willie cooperated, which is very unusual.
    Sunday times had a big article on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/sp...%20mays&st=cse

Turn Off Ads?