Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The rules of fan loyalty

Re: The rules of fan loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    With the Colts, it was that I admired Manning and Dungy. Sure they were good, but not Super Bowl winners yet. Bandwagony? Perhaps, but it wasn't that I was looking for the best team out there.

Definitely not the case with the BoSox. I really liked Nomar and the Sox before they were beating the Yanks. Plus, I hated the Yanks, so that helped.

And in the marriage analogy, that is the same example my co-worker gave. The comparison falls apart when you realize that married people makes vows to each other and (should) work as a partnership. If sports organizations have no responsibility to the fan, then the analogy doesn't work.

Implications that loyalty is something that must be reciprocal is a false reality, one can be loyal to things that are not able to return the loyalty.

But the way I see it is you dabble in other teams, then you are not loyal to one team since loyalty is this: faithful adherence to a sovereign, government, leader, cause, etc.

Now the real debate is do sports teams deserve faithful adherence?

Probably not, but I've never rooted against the teams I'm loyal to, and I've rooted against the teams I've shown passing a interest in, so teh real answer can't be found by querying folks here, but by only querying your own allegance to a team.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Probably not, but I've never rooted against the teams I'm loyal to, and I've rooted against the teams I've shown passing a interest in, so teh real answer can't be found by querying folks here, but by only querying your own allegance to a team.
    I guess that is my question: I enjoy both teams in both sports and actively root for them both. My co-worker said this is either impossible or makes me not a fan. So, I am looking for outside opinions on the subject.

I am a Reds fan, preferring them above all others, but in many seasons my interest in major league baseball would fade by mid-season if the Reds were all I could follow, I therefore usually find another team to root for in the post season.
    The Red Sox have long been my second favorite team, dating back to the "Impossible Dream" season in 1967 and reading Ted Williams's "My urn At Bat" in 1969.
    Other than those teams I tend to root for a team that has players I like. When those players leave, so may my rooting interest in that team. For example, when the Phillies in the early 1980s added Pete Rose to a team that already had guys I liked such as Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton, and later when Joe Morgan and Tony Perez joined the party, the Phils became my no. 2 team. When Pete, Joe and Tony departed, my interest in the Phillies also departed, and I haven't cared that much for them since (I did want them to win the '09 World Series, since they were playing the Yankees).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This is a fun question. I have a diehard loyalty to the Reds--I can't stomach cheering for another team, though I enjoy watching the game wherever it is played well. In football I have come to be a Bengals fan even though I grew up cheering for the Colts. The Colts no longer really do it for me, no matter how hard I try. They were a team I "chose" because we didn't have a pro team within 150 miles; since living in Cincinnati, I've grown to love the Bengals and the city.

College sports is where it get trickier for me. I'm a lifelong Marshall fan and alum of the school. I bleed green if you will. But I fell in love with Xavier while attending graduate school there and due to proximity I feel almost as strongly about the Muskies. I say almost because I could never cheer for XU against MU...but the thought would at least cross my mind if the win would be more beneficial to X, which it almost certainly would be right now. I have friends at both schools who play the "you have to choose one" card, but I say dog bollocks. I don't have to choose between my parents in an argument so why should I choose between my two colleges.

In the end I think you have to do what makes you happy. Worrying about other people's opinions will just ruin your day. Sports are meant to be fun, so enjoy yourself. If you want to cheer for the entire league, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The Red Sox have long been my second favorite team, dating back to the "Impossible Dream" season in 1967 and reading Ted Williams's "My urn At Bat" in 1969.
    The Red Sox are my second favorite team too, partly because Ted Williams was my dad's favorite player. Plus, as a kid, I liked teams that could mash the ball.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I've tried to switch. Couldn't do it if I wanted to.

"Random Harvest"

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

I say root for whoever you want, as long as it's not a direct rival of someone else you root for such as Reds- Cubs.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I'm a converted GB fan.I always liked the Packers but the Browns were at one time my favorite.When the Browns moved I decided to completely jump ship and dedicated myself full time to GB.It was a easy move considering the Packers had a pretty decent QB at the time and was winning a good amount of games every year.

So just a few years ago my allegiance to Green Bay was tested.My all time favorite player and my favorite team were going through a very messy divorce.I didn't grow up a Green Bay fan and from the time I took on the Packers as my #1 rooting interest in the NFL this player reigned over the team and to a large extent was the team.Many people felt the team should have welcomed this guy back with open arms and to be honest I was torn.Finally I came to my seances and made what was in my mind,despite my initial feelings the only decision that made seance.Screw that guy and that the Packers will always be my team.

So I guess if your questioning weather your a true fan of a team a good starting point could be just simply be to ask yourself if you'd continue to be a fan of that team regardless of who's playing QB or hitting HRs or sinking game winning shots for them.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-30-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I have one wife and only one team in each sport, BUT I'm allowed to look at other teams.
    ROTFL!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I've always had a little soft spot for the Indians, but I hardly find myself flipping between both games when the Reds are on. As far as football goes, my heart is with those dastardly Bengals, even though I've always claimed the Saints as my favorite NFC team.

Thing is, the Saints are in the Super Bowl and I almost don't care at all. Maybe I'll watch, maybe I won't.
    Pray for Rain.

I love it when a person tries to somehow set the "rules" (parameters) for what a true fan is/is not. Gee - who made them the Commish.

So if I'm a diehard Red fan I can't like, or root, for any other team because it is somehow a sign of disloyalty?

I live in Ohio, so I can only PICK one Ohio college program to root for, or I'm not true-blue?

And since my team didn't even make the NFL post-season, let alone the SB, that means I can't root for any team that made it? Can I at least watch the game?

I guess rules are made to be broken.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-31-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Gotta love the guy who loves random teams all throughout the US without having any sort of background to them. Like my buddy, for instance.

Detroit Pistons, Kansas basketball, Dallas Cowboys, and St. Louis Cardinals. He was a former bandwagon fan that just stuck with his teams.

I guess part of the test of being a fan of a team is the old Seinfeld line about "rooting for laundry." When it comes to the Reds, I root for the laundry--I'm a fan of the team, regardless of the guys on it.
    As for other pro teams, as I noted in an earlier post it tends to be who is on it. I mentioned in my prior post how I liked the Phillies (not as much as the Reds) when they had Rose, Morgan, Perez, Schmidt, Carlton, but I became indifferent to them after that. Another example would be the Dallas Cowboys. While the Oakland Raiders were my favorite NFL team in the 1960s and 1970s, I could root for the Cowboys of the '70s so long as they were not playing the Raiders, because I liked Staubach. However, once Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys I began to root against Dallas, whereas I cannot see me ever rooting against the Reds no matter how big a jerk owns them.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I am a Reds fan, preferring them above all others, but in many seasons my interest in major league baseball would fade by mid-season if the Reds were all I could follow, I therefore usually find another team to root for in the post season.
    Other than those teams I tend to root for a team that has players I like. When those players leave, so may my rooting interest in that team. For example, when the Phillies in the early 1980s added Pete Rose to a team that already had guys I liked such as Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton, and later when Joe Morgan and Tony Perez joined the party, the Phils became my no. 2 team. When Pete, Joe and Tony departed, my interest in the Phillies also departed, and I haven't cared that much for them since (I did want them to win the '09 World Series, since they were playing the Yankees).

This is nearly identical to my experience. I love baseball. I love the Reds, but if my love of baseball was dependent on the Reds performance, I'd have long ago thrown myself off a bridge.

My favorite position player of all time is Willie Mays. My favorite pitcher, an eclectic choice I suppose, is Mark Fidrych. I will always identify my fandom with the Big Red Machine, but I can't allow myself to compare every other team or player I follow to those baseball Gods of my youth.

The game is bigger than any player or any fan allegiance. My loyalty is to the game first.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    This is nearly identical to my experience. I love baseball. I love the Reds, but if my love of baseball was dependent on the Reds performance, I'd have long ago thrown myself off a bridge.....The game is bigger than any player or any fan allegiance. My loyalty is to the game first.

Exactly! Very well put. And one could say the same thing about any other sport.

As far as the NFL goes, I was raised a Brown fan. But growing up I loved guys like Starr, Unitas, Sayers, Butkus, and various others. I guess I was a "closet" Packer and Bears fan growing up too. I followed and rooted for the Bears in the 80s under Ditka. And I still like the Packers.

But as you say..... it's all about loyalty to the game.

Turn Off Ads?