Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Orlando it Be? (Reds Sign Orlando Cabrera)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which Orlando it Be? (Reds Sign Orlando Cabrera)

Good signing. Janish isn't going to be a regular at SS in the majors, he is best suited as a late inning defensive replacement and that is exactly what he can be now. The front office saw what most of us did, they need someone to fill the gap until our prospects hopefully take over.

Now... of course we'd all like Damon but know that isn't going to happen. I would definitely settle with a Gomes signing to end the offseason

Just woke up to see the happy news!!! Great signing, especially if his glove starts working again.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

If he can return to his defensive form prior to last year it is a really good signing. Yet last year his defense sucked out loud. He was one of the worst defensive SS's in baseball.

We shall see. His bat has been pretty consistent, and assuming he does not fall off all of a sudden it's a big upgrade over Janish. Yet his glove will determine how good of a signing this is. Of course a one year deal with a team option the risk is low.

I give this a thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    If he can return to his defensive form prior to last year it is a really good signing. Yet last year his defense sucked out loud. He was one of the worst defensive SS's in baseball.
    That's my only concern as well. If his defense is what it historically has been, I'm excited.

I assume he must be a passable option at 2nd base as well since that is what the Rockies were looking at signing him for. In that case, this also provides a back-up for Phillips with Janish playing shortstop on days off for Phillips. This option wouldn't be much of a defensive drop-off.

My favorite thing about this signing is that it puts Janish in his proper role; glove expert off the bench for late innings and occasional infield starter to give others a day off.

A little too much money but I'm more confident that Cabrera is going to be a more productive SS than Janish over all so I cant say I'm disappointed.

I doubt thats a player option. It might be mutual at most.

I also like the signing. As long as there are no big injuries, I think the club can contend.

A good #2 bat at 3 mil a year.

I like it.

Not sure how it figures to be too much money. Per CHONE and such it's right in line with his projected WAR, maybe even a bargain.

I would assume that the option is a team option - I haven't seen many deals where the player says "Nah, I don't want to play for you this year, give me $1M and I'll walk".

I think the consensus seems to be that this is a "projected floor" - meaning you know what the worst of Cabrera could be, and it's much higher than Janish's.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    A good #2 bat at 3 mil a year.

I like it.
    I don't mind the $$$$...but don't think he is a #2 hitter
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    True that. This team is filled with 6-8 hitters, especially versus RHP.

Cabreras bat fits better in the 2 hole than Janish - agreed?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    True that. This team is filled with 6-8 hitters, especially versus RHP.

Cabreras bat fits better in the 2 hole than Janish - agreed?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    lol true...but that isn't saying much hehehe
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Let's hope he stays on the field more than Gonzo, and isn't another Patterson or Taveras bust. Reds are due to have one of these off-season stop gap signings pay off.

Soooo
    Wonder who gets bumped off the 40?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    Can someone pick me up here?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?