Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheldon: Alonso may become catcher?

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Sheldon: Alonso may become catcher?

Per ORG. Per Sheldon's twitter.

Dusty told Sheldon that the organization has been considering moving Alonso to catcher. I like this.

We wouldn't have this problem with him and Votto, and he'd compliment Hanigan nicely.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sheldon: Alonso may become catcher?

Take it with a grain of salt, Ill believe it when I see it.

-Matt

There is a reason UM turned him into a first baseman.

Stat geek...and proud

Things like this is what losing organizations do. If you don't believe he can be your first baseman, or you don't wanna move Joey, then he MUST be moved for another piece that can help this team.

Believe it or not, I wondered about this before. I dont think that it is necessarily a "loser organization" idea. It may work out to be one of the smartest moves ever. Who knows. evidently somebody with some baseball intellect thinks it could work. If his bat is that special, it may be worth a try. If he can't Catch...maybe left field.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Things like this is what losing organizations do. If you don't believe he can be your first baseman, or you don't wanna move Joey, then he MUST be moved for another piece that can help this team.
    Yeah moving Pete Rose to all those different positions was a bad move. Those loser Reds of the 1970's were crazy for doing that.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    Yeah moving Pete Rose to all those different positions was a bad move. Those loser Reds of the 1970's were crazy for doing that.
    Catching is different then going from 2B to LF to 3B, guy.

stupid idea.....its hard enough for a player who isnt a catcher to make that move in high school......and we are talking about professional baseball. stupid stupid stupid...doesnt surprise me Dusty said it.

He was moved to 1st base because his lack of arm strength. I agree with berryluther.
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    stupid idea.....its hard enough for a player who isnt a catcher to make that move in high school......and we are talking about professional baseball. stupid stupid stupid...doesnt surprise me Dusty said it.
    He was a catcher in HS.

Apparently, this kid is so athletic that the only position suited for him is DH.

We drafted this kid for his bat, but he apparently can't do anything in the field.

I think it was half-joking on Dusty's part, but IMO it signals some frustration with the kids Defense - or obvious lack thereof.

This just solidifies my feelings that this kid should be moved - along with one of our Harang or Arroyo pending FA's - at the trade deadline this year for a long-term answer somewhere else.

We have enough prospects at LF/3B - and Votto should be manning 1B for the next 10 years - so this kid's best Asset for this organization is in a trade.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Catching is different then going from 2B to LF to 3B, guy.
    True. But your point was that losing organizations do something like this. Not true and that was my point.

I think they are looking at ways to try to get Alonso in the bigs and that Votto is not going anywhere, nor should he.

The other option would be trade Alonso (which most everyone on this board would go nuts if it happened, because we would never get enough in return). But IMO the Reds want to see if he can make this switch. It's not exactly like we've got catcher's in the minor leagues that are knocking on the door to the big leagues.

I do not like this. He's a first baseman. Keep him there. Votto could play left. Alonso is not a catcher. Like others have said, he does not have the arm.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Apparently someone from tORG had a friend at a winter caravan today ask Walt about it, and Walt said he'd heard nothing about it all.

Maybe it was just a joke from the Dusty?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    He was a catcher in HS.

I think it was half-joking on Dusty's part, but IMO it signals some frustration with the kids Defense - or obvious lack thereof.

This just solidifies my feelings that this kid should be moved - along with one of our Harang or Arroyo pending FA's - at the trade deadline this year for a long-term answer somewhere else.

We have enough prospects at LF/3B - and Votto should be manning 1B for the next 10 years - so this kid's best Asset for this organization is in a trade.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Yes, Yes, and yes. Exactly what my thoughts are. His bat has to draw attention somewhere, that doesn't already have a Joey Votto.
    Last edited by gedred69; 01-31-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: additional comment

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Take it with a grain of salt, Ill believe it when I see it.

-Matt
    Yeah.

And, Jim Bowden will be the next Commissioner.

Turn Off Ads?