Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

Re: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Reds announce Cabrera signing
    Posted by tgroeschen February 1st, 2010, 2:02 pm

From the Reds:

Cincinnati Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty today announced the signing of free agent SS Orlando Cabrera to a 1-year contract through the 2010 season with a mutual option for 2011.

Jocketty and Cabrera will be available today at 3:00 p.m. in the field level interview room at Great American Ball Park.

“Orlando is a very good player with experience in the post-season,” Jocketty said. “He makes us a better team both offensively and defensively and will be a veteran presence on a roster full of young players.”

Cabrera, 35, last season played for the Athletics and Twins and combined to hit .284 with 36 doubles, 9 HR and 77 RBI in 160 games. He led all Major League shortstops in RBI and ranked fourth among players at that position with 83 runs scored.

The native of Colombia finished the 2009 season with a 16-game hitting streak (.397) to help the Twins finish 12-4 and win the American League Central Division title.

In 1,732 career games for the Expos, Angels, White Sox, A’s and Twins, the 2-time Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner has a .275 career batting average. Last season, Cabrera produced at least 186 hits for the third straight year and for the fourth time in his career. Five times in his career he played at least 160 games in a season.

The playoff veteran has appeared in 34 post-season games covering 5 Division Series, 2 League Championship Series and, as the starting shortstop for the champion Red Sox, the 2004 World Series.

Earlier today, the Reds acquired from the Oakland Athletics IF Aaron Miles and a player to be named later in exchange for IF Adam Rosales and OF Willy Taveras.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

I'll be interested to see his defense but I can't imagine it's fallen so much as to negate his offensive numbers. For a Red to hit .284 is a big deal. Votto's the only Red with any ABs to speak of that achieved that last year. The only one. Cabrera becomes one of our top offensive threats and my guess is he'll be an upgrade over F Lopez and Keppinger defensively. My guess is he'll be at least as good as AGon was with us.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cabrera says he'll do everything he can to be a better player, even it means changing his name to "Juan Ocho".
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Overall, adding Cabrera is a huge improvement over Janish at a small cost. IMHO Sign Cabrera and trade Taveras in the same week, I'm starting to like what Jockety is doing.

Bum

Well, he said he's going to try to get on base more, so a few brownie points there from the OBP zip code of Redszone.

Really like this player. He's got an edge. He's like Rose -- love him when he's on your team, hate him when he isn't. And the record clearly shows he's a winner.

High five!

I dunno if someone posted this, but here is the financial considerations from Mark Sheldon's twitter feed.

Updated Cabrera #s from AP. Gets $2.02 million in '10. Mutual option worth $4M. $500K buyout if he declines, $1 million if club declines

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I dunno if someone posted this, but here is the financial considerations from Mark Sheldon's twitter feed.
    So it's a $3 million one-year deal, with $1 million deferred. Not bad.

Not a huge Cabrera fan, but if you know the manager is going to bat the SS in the two-hole every day, hard not to take Cabrera over Janish on that contract.

I really don't see why RZ isn't more giddy over this deal. He's replacing a .211 hitter. I understand the issues over his defense but look at the SSs we've had since Larkin left. I think he compares quite favorably. The only reason not to like this acquisition is if you think it'll hold Cozart or Frazier back. Janish has never been looked on as a starter in the major leagues.

I don't think he'll make 25 errors two years in a row. I think he'll work hard so that doesn't happen.

This site ran Willy T off on a rail and he hit .240.

They're not commiting much $$ to this guy and he clearly fills a need. What's not to like? I don't see the downside and that bodes well for any deal.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm a fan of Janish. I like the kid and I really think that with some regular playing time his bat will improve. That being said, I like this signing. It's an obvious improvement offensively, and in regards to defense...I don't think Cabrera can come close to Janish, but I also don't think he's as bad as his defensive stats from last year seem to show. Unless he was injured, nobody drops that quickly in terms of defensive skills in one year. But the main reason I like this signing is quite simple...we had NO other viable options for SS if Janish got injured. It also keeps us from having to rush Cozart if Paul went down. It also keeps our options open in regards to other SS hopefuls (Frazier, Valiaka, etc, etc). Monetarily speaking, seems like a reasonable amount...but I truthfully don't care too much about the players' contracts unless they're so burdensome as to cripple the growth of the franchise. 1-2 year contracts rarely do that. Nice signing.

I do hope that this signing doesn't mean Paul languishes on the bench. He strikes me as the kind of player who will steadily improve offensively with regular ab's but will stagnate if relegated to a part-time role. Mid to late game replacement with a start or two a week maybe depending on his/Orlando's play? In fact, if Cabrera struggles somewhat, I wouldn't mind Paul starting and Orlando as the backup. It all depends on how they actually perform.

Cabrera isn't anything special, but I like the signing. I was really scared of Janish having something like a .210/.285/.310 line in mid-June, and the Reds having nowhere else to turn at short. At the very least there are two options now, we can hope that at least one of them can be in the neighborhood of league average.

Reds roster taking shape
    By C. Trent Rosecrans, CNATI.com Posted February 1, 2010 4:28 PM ET

With the announcement of the acquisition of shortstop Orlando Cabrera, the Reds' 2010 lineup is beginning to take shape with a veteran infield and a young outfield.

Orlando CabreraThe 35-year old Cabrera, a two-time Gold Glove winner, joins Scott Rolen (who turns 35 in April), Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto to make up the Reds infield. Among those, only Votto hasn't won a Gold Glove.

Despite Cabrera's Gold Gloves in 2007 and 2001, his signing was for offense, not defense. Cabrera will go into spring training as the team's starting shortstop, pushing aside Paul Janish.

"The one area we felt we still had to improve was our offense. Orlando's a very accomplished offensive shortstop," said Reds general manager Walt Jocketty. "His defense also is very solid, he won a Gold Glove in 2007, you have to remember last year he played a lot on turf the second half of the year, which is different some of the times. Obviously Paul is an excellent defensive shortstop. We were going to give him every opportunity to see what he could do on an everyday basis, but when this deal became apparent to us and we felt we could afford it, we felt we had to go forward."

Cabrera hit .284/.316/.389 with the A's and Twins last season, along with 77 RBIs, nine home runs and 13 stolen bases.

The Reds signed Cabrera to a one-year deal worth $770,000, with a signing bonus of $1.25 million. There is a $4 million mutual option for 2011, with the Reds owing Cabrera $500,000 if he declines the option and $1 million if he the club declines the option.

The team was able to take on that extra bit of money with Monday's other announced move, a trade of Willy Taveras and his $4 million owed in 2010 to Oakland along with infielder Adam Rosales for infielder Aaron Miles and a player to be named. Miles is in the second year of two-year deal that guarantees him $2.7 million this season. Although the Cubs sent $1 million to Oakland in the trade for Miles, that money will stay with the A's. Miles hit .185/.224/.242 in 170 plate appearances last season, limited by shoulder and elbow injuries.

"(Miles) is another one of these guys that's a winner," said Jocketty, who acquired Miles from the Rockies before 2006, when the Cardinals won the World Series. "I think it's important to bring in guys, I heard more and more from our young players that the influence that Rolen had on them, the way he played the game and the attitude he takes. Orlando's that way and Aaron's that way. It helps to bring in these guys to help with these young players."

Janish had been scheduled to start at shortstop, but throughout the winter Jocketty had noted he wanted competition there. Instead, he got a veteran shortstop who will step in right away and be the starting shortstop and perhaps the No. 2 hitter in the lineup.

"I'm excited about it, we've been able to do some things to improve our club and we weren't too sure we'd be in position to do that," Jocketty said. "A lot of it was being patient and waiting for the market to drop to our level where we could afford to do some things."

Cabrera played shortstop for the Expos, Red Sox, Angles, White Sox, A's and Twins, but was being pursued mostly as a second baseman this offseason. The Rockies wanted him to play second and he said several other clubs were interested in him playing at second as well. The Reds, though, wanted him at shortstop, and he wanted to be a shortstop. So Saturday night, the deal was done.

"The truth is, I'm a shortstop, I'm not a second baseman," said Cabrera. "Maybe in three or four more years, I'd consider that, but right now I think I can still play shortstop every day and stay at the level I've been at for the last six or seven years."

Cabrera has hit mostly in the two hole during his career, which Jocketty said is part of the reason his OBP is a less-than-impressive .322 for his career.

"As I've talked to some people about that, who have had him, he makes up for it (because) he's a contact guy," Jocketty said. "He moves runners around, sometimes that's as important or more than the on-base percentage."

Cabrera said he feels most comfortable batting second.

"That's not set in stone, whatever Dusty needs me to do, hit eight, nine behind the pitcher, we have to find a solution, whatever it takes," said Cabrera, who noted he prefers batting second. "Especially if you have a guy who can steal bases, I'll take pitches, I can protect him, hit behind him, I'll put the ball in play, I make contact - sometimes too much, sometimes it hurts me in my at-bats - but if a guy can get on base, we can score in the first inning, which is important to a team that is trying to bounce back."

Jocketty said he still sees second-year centerfielder Drew Stubbs as the team's leadoff man. Stubbs hit .267/.323/.439 last season in 196 plate appearances, with eight home runs, 17 RBIs and 10 stolen bases.

Along with Stubbs, the Reds have Jay Bruce (23 in April) in right and a number of players battling for the leftfield spot, including Chris Dickerson, Chris Heisey, Wladimir Balentien and possibly Jonny Gomes. Gomes is still a free agent, but Jocketty said they were still talking to him and was hopeful the team could bring him back.

"I think this puts us in a pretty good position, I really do. You look at the infield, Hernandez, Votto, Phillips, Cabrera, Rolen -- these are all quality, quality players," Jocketty said. "We've got a young outfield with huge upside. That's another reason why adding another veteran guy in the infield with his ability and stature was important, with Bruce and Stubbs and Heisey, Dickerson, Balentien and if we're able to bring Gomes back, there won't be as much pressure on these guys. They shouldn't feel the pressure, because we have guys who will play the infield who are consistent run producers."

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/red...-shape-001180/

The more I read the posts....and I am not discounting OC's defensive fall last year...but it seems that people would rather just go with Janish beacuse he is a Reds farm system player?
    His defense is not that great that you should have to put up with Rick Auerbach type numbers.
    People had no problem having Richie play SS even with his defense just so Royce Clayton did not have to start there back in 2006....but you would rather see what Janish can do at SS when you have a better option at a small price.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The more I read the posts....and I am not discounting OC's defensive fall last year...but it seems that people would rather just go with Janish beacuse he is a Reds farm system player?
    His defense is not that great that you should have to put up with Rick Auerbach type numbers.
    People had no problem having Richie play SS even with his defense just so Royce Clayton did not have to start there back in 2006....but you would rather see what Janish can do at SS when you have a better option at a small price.
    No, it's because UZR is becoming the flavor of the month.

Ah yes...UZR....the long forgotten side project of NWA.

Looks like, right now, Chris Heisey is the Reds left fielder unless Gomes comes back and maybe even if he does. I hope Chris has a big spring.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?