Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

Re: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I'm not nuts about defense metrics, but those offense metrics are enough to convince me that this deal was a waste of resources.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    The most vicious rumor about Cabrera [vicious, assuming that it's false] is that he has an affinity for underage girls, and this caused the Red Sox to run him out of town even after he helped them win a world series. [Google "Orlando Cabrera" and underage]. The talk radio people in Boston's big sports station would constantly say that they knew why Orlando Cabrera was run out of town, but that they were ordered by the station not to talk about it in order to prevent the station from being sued.
    The latin Ed Bouchee eh?

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    The most vicious rumor about Cabrera [vicious, assuming that it's false] is that he has an affinity for underage girls, and this caused the Red Sox to run him out of town even after he helped them win a world series. [Google "Orlando Cabrera" and underage]. The talk radio people in Boston's big sports station would constantly say that they knew why Orlando Cabrera was run out of town, but that they were ordered by the station not to talk about it in order to prevent the station from being sued.

Sounds like we're calling OCab "The Jesus"
    Hope isn't a strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I heard his dog ate Vlad Guerrero's goldfish and then Cabrera lied and said Vlad never had a goldfish.

But then why did Vlad have the bowl, OCab? Why did he have the bowl?

Awesome Simpsons reference.

Regarding Cabrera being a bad teammate - I just don't believe it. All I've ever heard was good things. He had a few squabbles with Guillen but who hasn't. I posted this in the last thread... and I will repost here.

Cabrera has only been with the Twins since they acquired him from the Oakland Athletics on July 31, but he has fast become a leader. He is talented, he is animated, he is energetic and he is a winner.

This is Cabrera's fifth postseason in the past six seasons, with his fourth team. He was the starting shortstop when the Boston Red Sox won it all in 2004, and he was on the Los Angeles Angels when they reached the postseason in 2005 and 2007. He helped the Chicago White Sox win the A.L. Central in 2008, and he was instrumental in pushing the Twins to the division title this year.

''For me, it's a challenge,'' Cabrera said. ''Every move I've made in my career is always a challenge. For me, it's always about going to the postseason, no matter what happens. When I got here, I knew they were looking for a shortstop and a guy who could bring intensity every day. That's what I give to them.''

As the Twins pursued the Tigers, then passed them in the 163rd game of the season, Cabrera finished the regular season with a 16-game hitting streak. He batted .411 with 16 runs batted in and 21 runs scored during the streak to help the Twins go 12-4. Obtaining Cabrera was not as splashy an acquisition as the St. Louis Cardinals' getting Matt Holliday, but it was a critical move by the Twins.

''He's been here, he's been in the playoffs, he's not afraid,'' Gardenhire said. ''We've got some young players I wanted him to help out, too. He's done that. He's been leading by example.''
    Quote:
    Ron Gardenhire was in an incredibly talkative mood before today's game against the Angels and touched on a wide array of subjects, most notably his feelings about A's shortstop Orlando Cabrera, whom the Twins are reportedly interested in.

"I like Cabrera, yes. I'm not allowed to talk about players, but, yes, I like Cabrera. It's a direct question. I can answer a direct question. I think he's a great player," Gardenhire said, adding that both Joe Crede, who played with Cabrera in Chicago last season,, and the Angels sang Cabrera's praises. "Ozzie (Guillen) and he really butted heads. Crede told us he was a great teammate, hard worker. These guys over here said fantastic things about him -- played the game, played hard, the whole package."
    And due to length, I'll link the Sid Hartman column on Cabrera from last year. Time and time again all I saw and heard were good things about the guy. Granted it was only two months, but his history of his team's winning has to say something.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/63652002.html

Like I said before, I can live with this deal. I'm not doing back flips but I can live with it.

I want to jump on the Cabrerea bandwagon but I can't help from thinking this move is a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Like I said before, I can live with this deal. I'm not doing back flips but I can live with it.

I want to jump on the Cabrerea bandwagon but I can't help from thinking this move is a mistake.
    I think the move is only a mistake if Dusty continues to run him out there when his performance is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I think the move is only a mistake if Dusty continues to run him out there when his performance is lacking.

That's my fear as well. Dusty loves his vets.

However, Dusty didn't hang with Taveras as long as he did Patterson. Maybe there is hope. Maybe he learned.

(I can always tell when Spring Training is close. I start getting unreasonable hopes. By the time Opening Day comes, I'll be convinced the Reds will win 95 games. I don't think I'll ever change.)
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

However, Dusty didn't hang with Taveras as long as he did Patterson. Maybe there is hope. Maybe he learned.

(I can always tell when Spring Training is close. I start getting unreasonable hopes. By the time Opening Day comes, I'll be convinced the Reds will win 95 games. I don't think I'll ever change.)
    Willy logged more plate appearance than Patterson, FWIW.

Baseball: Reds' Phillips eager to team with Cabrera
    Monday, February 1, 2010 2:51 AM
    By Tyler James
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Cincinnati Reds have found their starting shortstop for 2010.

Maybe.

With reports that the team had agreed to a one-year deal worth $3 million with Orlando Cabrera, the estimated 500 fans who came to Polaris Fashion Place Mall yesterday for the Reds Caravan Northern Tour wanted a confirmation of the signing. They didn't get it.

"They jumped the gun," vice president and assistant general manager Bob Miller said of the report on MLB.com. "We don't have Orlando Cabrera yet, but we're working on it, and we feel good."

Having spent his first three years in professional baseball in the Montreal Expos organization while Cabrera was the starting shortstop, Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips is encouraged by the prospect of playing alongside Cabrera.

"It would be a beautiful thing," Phillips said.

And golden, too. A Cabrera signing would bring the total of Gold Glove awards in the Cincinnati infield to 10 -- seven for third baseman Scott Rolen, two for Cabrera and one for Phillips.

Phillips didn't receive the award last season, but insists that his defense is as good as ever.

"My glove is always golden," he said. "I can't help it that I can't get an award for it. Only thing I can do is go out there and catch the ball the best way I know how."

With the impending signing of Cabrera, the Reds' attention will turn to finding a starting left fielder during spring training.

With just 17 days left until pitchers and catchers report to the Reds' new facility in Goodyear, Ariz., Cincinnati might still try to bring in Jonny Gomes to compete for the job.

Miller said the team is still in talks with Gomes, who hit .267 with 20 HRs and 51 RBI in 98 games for the Reds last year, but denied reports of negotiations with Johnny Damon.

No matter who starts -- Gomes, Chris Dickerson, Laynce Nix or one of several prospects in contention -- Miller is confident in their talent.

"It's a question mark, but it's more of a question mark of who's going to be there, not if they can be there," Miller said.

Despite all the unanswered questions remaining for the Reds, Miller did offer fans one concrete answer:

"I predict, without a doubt, we will have a winning record," he said to the crowd's applause. "And I think if we stay healthy, we'll be in it to the end."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...s&cat=&sid=101

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

To be honest this has proven to be incorrect during Dusty's time as the Reds manager. Guys like Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Votto, Bruce, Encarnacion, and Stubbs were all given their chance, and in many cases Dusty stuck with them when many were calling for demotions to AAA. If any of the Dusty stigmas have been proven incorrect it is this one.

FWIW Patterson got more PT because of injuries and the trade of Griffey and Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    To be honest this has proven to be incorrect during Dusty's time as the Reds manager. Guys like Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Votto, Bruce, Encarnacion, and Stubbs were all given their chance, and in many cases Dusty stuck with them when many were calling for demotions to AAA. If any of the Dusty stigmas have been proven incorrect it is this one.

FWIW Patterson got more PT because of injuries and the trade of Griffey and Jr.
    I've been making this point ad infinitum. Thanks for making it again and so well too.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The Cabrera signing is now official:

MORE NEWS

The club also today finalized a 1-year contract through 2010 with a mutual option for 2011 with SS Orlando Cabrera.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/

C. Trent says the Reds will hold a press conference at 3:00 to announce the Cabrera signing and Taveras trade.

Reds announce Cabrera signing
    Posted by tgroeschen February 1st, 2010, 2:02 pm

From the Reds:

Cincinnati Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty today announced the signing of free agent SS Orlando Cabrera to a 1-year contract through the 2010 season with a mutual option for 2011.

Jocketty and Cabrera will be available today at 3:00 p.m. in the field level interview room at Great American Ball Park.

“Orlando is a very good player with experience in the post-season,” Jocketty said. “He makes us a better team both offensively and defensively and will be a veteran presence on a roster full of young players.”

Cabrera, 35, last season played for the Athletics and Twins and combined to hit .284 with 36 doubles, 9 HR and 77 RBI in 160 games. He led all Major League shortstops in RBI and ranked fourth among players at that position with 83 runs scored.

The native of Colombia finished the 2009 season with a 16-game hitting streak (.397) to help the Twins finish 12-4 and win the American League Central Division title.

In 1,732 career games for the Expos, Angels, White Sox, A’s and Twins, the 2-time Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner has a .275 career batting average. Last season, Cabrera produced at least 186 hits for the third straight year and for the fourth time in his career. Five times in his career he played at least 160 games in a season.

The playoff veteran has appeared in 34 post-season games covering 5 Division Series, 2 League Championship Series and, as the starting shortstop for the champion Red Sox, the 2004 World Series.

Earlier today, the Reds acquired from the Oakland Athletics IF Aaron Miles and a player to be named later in exchange for IF Adam Rosales and OF Willy Taveras.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm not nuts about defense metrics, but those offense metrics are enough to convince me that this deal was a waste of resources.
    How so? You can see Cabrera not being any better than he normally is or worse but you can't envision Janish being worse? I think Paul has had his peak offensive year and there is nowhere to go but down. A sub .600 OPS or a guy who could actually do a smidge better in GABP than anywhere he played last year, even with decline will probably still OPS .700. Sure it's not ideal but ideal isn't available. And defensively I think it's likely the difference in the 2 isn't as great as some would have us believe.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?