Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

Re: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I hope the cut from the 40 man roster is Taveras but that's a pipe dream.

It will most likely be Rosales or Sutton, if that's the case it should be Rosales but I bet it will be Sutton.
    The question is really who is likely to be picked up by another team. The Reds' job is to pick somebody who won't be. Then the guy is invited to spring training and still has a shot to make the Reds team.

If Sutton is least likely to be picked up, then he should get waived, keep him in the organization, and invite him to spring training. Same with Rosales or whomever. Just guess correctly on who won't be grabbed by another club.

Personally, I agree that Sutton should be the 25th man on the Reds. Switch hitter, plays all over, I hope he makes the squad.

If Taveras is waived, however, with a $4 million contract, that's a little different. That's a statement that Reds don't want him. Unusual to waive a player with that much money due if you still want him on the club.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Love the signing it allows a bridge development wise.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I wish they would've opened the wallet a little wider and signed Damon instead.

Hope Cabrera is able to hold it together for one more year and possibly even resurge a bit.

Love it, now sign Damon or (more realistically) Gomes and lets go to Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I like the signing since it improves the offense, improves the bench with Janish, and along with Gomes gives minor leaguers another year to get ready at AAA.

I am a little concerned defensively, late last year with Janish the infield defense was outstanding, but I don't think we'll know until the season gets going. Last year could have been an outlier, some times guys have fielding slumps or just bad years.

Since this seemed very likely, the most interesting part for me is how they make room on the forty man roster. A big move like DFA'ing Taveras? Or slipping a minor leaguer through waivers and taking him off the roster. It's not obvious to me what they will do.
    My thoughts exactly.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

We have to be pragmatic. I like it a lot. Now sign Gomes to a minor league deal and we're far ahead of where we were last year.

This year could be interesting. Jocketty was expected to work miracles overnight, as we all know, "the losing stops NOW".

But that's not the way it works in the real world. The conga line of prior GM's all had their strengths and weaknesses, but this administration seems to have righted the ship and built on all the good parts of the past while steadily jettisoning the mistakes.

Now just lose Willy T.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I'm in the minority that believes that both Sutton and Rosales can be quality major league bench/part time players. Of course with Cozart, Frazier and Valaika on the way Janish already here and some others around it may make sense for one of them to be the one to go.

Looking at the 40 man Roster and ranking the top 10 guys to cut loose I'd probably go in this order:

1. Willy Taveras
    2. Mike Lincoln
    3. Sam Leure
    4. Pedro Viola
    5. Bill Bray
    6. Wladimir Balentien
    7. Adam Rosales
    8. Drew Sutton
    9. Phil Valiquette
    10. Jordan Smith

I don't think the Reds will eat the cash on Willy or Lincoln though they are the obvious choices IMO. The LH Pitchers will get snapped up (though Viola is 27 and still can't get it over the plate, Bray is coming off a lost year and Valiquette is clearly not ready). Sutton can provide a LH bat that might hit against RHP and seems to fit the needs here more than Rosales does. I'm a skeptic on Lecure, but enough teams have rotation issues, that some team would probably take him. Wlad has already be DFAd by one team, but did well in Cincy last year and I think its unlikely he'd be the one to go.

At what point can players be placed on the 60 Day DL? Could the Reds wait until Spring Training starts to make this official and stick Volquez on the 60 day to make room? Do they need to wait until the season begins? Not sure how that works.

My guess is the Rosales goes, but I'm rooting for Willy or Lincoln unless there is some technicality about the 60 Day DL to get them off the hook.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

OCab will pay for himself.. Now that the Reds made 2 splashes in free agency and bringing in Rolen last year along with the core youth.. This team is going to sell tickets. Chapman I'm sure sparked it and OCab might add even more cash to ownerships pockets. The Reds on paper are solid and have All Star caliber talent in the infield (Votto will be an allstar even though he's been one of the Reds best players the past two seasons).

I doubt they eat Taveras contract simply because it would be like signing Cabrera for 8MM.. I think Drew Sutton will get DFA'd in hopes of him accepting a minor league deal or being traded perhaps for a recently DFA'd player. We've all waited for comfirmation and I think this team is well put together and could make the NL Central fun this year for the entire year.

I am fine with this signing. One less offensive black hole.

I would storm the Bastille if Wlad goes instead of Taveras.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Looking at the 40 man Roster and ranking the top 10 guys to cut loose I'd probably go in this order:

1. Willy Taveras
    2. Mike Lincoln
    3. Sam Leure
    4. Pedro Viola
    5. Bill Bray
    6. Wladimir Balentien
    7. Adam Rosales
    8. Drew Sutton
    9. Phil Valiquette
    10. Jordan Smith
    I'm sorry mth but I like #'s 4, 6, & 9. So hears hoping those of your ten don't get canned.

I assume the contract is, as usual, pending a physical. If so, that leaves them a few days to make a move, perhaps move one of the 40 man contracts. That's not a given, but it does give them time to work the phones, as it were. I'd love to unload Taveras, just like everyone else, although that is easier said than done. But it is sunk costs though, so maybe they'll just do it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

After living with an aging Barry Larkin and an injury prone Alex Gonzalez, I think Cabrera will do just fine for at least one year.

And for those who want to give Taveras, the boot....don't be surprise to see the starting lineup on Opening Day start out with Taveras and Cabrera. If Stubbs has a so-so spring training, it wouldn't surprise me to see him start the season in Louisville.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    After living with an aging Barry Larkin and an injury prone Alex Gonzalez, I think Cabrera will do just fine for at least one year.

And for those who want to give Taveras, the boot....don't be surprise to see the starting lineup on Opening Day start out with Taveras and Cabrera. If Stubbs has a so-so spring training, it wouldn't surprise me to see him start the season in Louisville.
    Speed wise they are the same.. Defensively Stubbs is better and offensively Stubbs is better.. I'm willing to be someone 2011 season tickets that won't happen! Unless Stubbs is hurt he is your CF.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Speed wise they are the same.. Defensively Stubbs is better and offensively Stubbs is better.. I'm willing to be someone 2011 season tickets that won't happen! Unless Stubbs is hurt he is your CF.
    I hear what you're saying. BUT, the Reds won't eat 4 million dollars and we all know Baker's love for veteran players. I'm just saying if Stubbs struggles in spring training it won't surprise me to see him start the year at Louisville.

On another note....do you think a platoon of Gomes/Nix in leftfield can generate as much offensive production as Adam Dunn produced when he was in a Reds uniform?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    On another note....do you think a platoon of Gomes/Nix in leftfield can generate as much offensive production as Adam Dunn produced when he was in a Reds uniform?
    I think we learned in 2009 what Nix and Gomes can do.

They aren't Dunn, but for basically zero dollars, it's not bad.

Turn Off Ads?