Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

Re: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

No large market team needed a SS, GAC. Not one of them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree with the folks that think this is a good depth move.

He won't cost as much as Gonzo, and maybe a case can be made for him not liking the Metrodome.

We shall see. At the worst, Cabrera's negative impact should be far less destructive than Taveras.

Unless Dusty uses him as a leadoff hitter to provide some sort of "spark".
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Here is an article on the Cabrera signing and the Reds' offseason:

http://www.threewaychili.com/

Depth depth depth.

Were it not for this signing, we'd be clamoring for Rosales to replace Janish come mid-May.

Rosales.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I think that Dickerson has to be your center fielder if you are planning to hit Cabrera second, Phillips 4th, and Gomes 6th. You have to have some people on base and the Reds are sorely lacking in that area. The pitching is going to have to be lights out or the Reds are back to 2009 again. Maybe Stubbs can get on base enough, hopefully.

BTW, I like this signing for the simple reason that Rosales won't be getting as much time. I hope he's the one that goes if not Taveras.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I think that Dickerson has to be your center fielder if you are planning to hit Cabrera second, Phillips 4th, and Gomes 6th. You have to have some people on base and the Reds are sorely lacking in that area. The pitching is going to have to be lights out or the Reds are back to 2009 again. Maybe Stubbs can get on base enough, hopefully.

BTW, I like this signing for the simple reason that Rosales won't be getting as much time. I hope he's the one that goes if not Taveras.
    I'd probably hit Dickerson/Stubbs 1-2 against RHP, and Stubbs/Rolen 1-2 against LHP. With that being said, I really doubt that happens but I also doubt that Rolen is going to bat 7th behind Gomes.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'd probably hit Dickerson/Stubbs 1-2 against RHP, and Stubbs/Rolen 1-2 against LHP. With that being said, I really doubt that happens but I also doubt that Rolen is going to bat 7th behind Gomes.
    I see what your saying, but I don't get the idea that Drew Stubbs should ever be a lead off hitter. He really didn't get on base enough in his short stint last season. He looks like an eight hole hitter to me.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I don't think we'll be seeing any platoons this year.

Stubbs CF
    Cabrera SS
    Votto 1B
    Phillips 2B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Gomes LF
    Hanigan/Hernandez C
    P

I don't think Hanigan/Hernandez necessarily count as a platoon, as they're both righties. If Stubbs struggles the first month, I can see Dickerson taking his place.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Cabrera is most likely going to be a below average major leaguer next year. The Reds probably feel like they can project his floor better than their in house options though. One just hopes that they're right but they missed pretty badly on the floors of proven guys like Taveras and Gonzo.

I think an optimistic scenario is that Cabrera can be league average over a full season. Worst case scenario really could be a Willy T or Gonzo.
    Gonzalez' first season in Cincinnati was pretty decent, actually. Between injury and the family situation, they got nothing from him in years two and three, but that's just the downside of multi-year deals. Otherwise, I think you've nailed it. Cabrera's probably going to be below average but should be well above replacement level, which is something I don't necessarily believe about Janish. It'll likely make the ballclub better and the price/risk is reasonable.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I think you can pretty much pencil Cabrera in to the #2 spot in the lineup. I'd put money on it if I could.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I can't wait till march 2nd to buy MLB 10 the show and play as these new and improved Reds

I see what your saying, but I don't get the idea that Drew Stubbs should ever be a lead off hitter. He really didn't get on base enough in his short stint last season. He looks like an eight hole hitter to me.
    What he looks like and how he will actually be used are two different things. Dusty hit him lead off in every start last year [as far as I remember] and I see nothing in this teams make up to suggest it will be any different.

Stubbs will hit first, Cabrera second, Votto third, Phillips 4th, Rolen 5th, Bruce sixth, LF 7th and C 8th.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I don't think last year was really who Drew Stubbs will end up being as a hitter. His minor league career he had almost an .100 BA/OB split, and in his short stint in Cincy last year it was only it was only .056. I think this year his walks will increase while his power numbers decrease. Even last year his .323 OBP is right on par with OC's career .322 OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    What he looks like and how he will actually be used are two different things. Dusty hit him lead off in every start last year [as far as I remember] and I see nothing in this teams make up to suggest it will be any different.

Stubbs will hit first, Cabrera second, Votto third, Phillips 4th, Rolen 5th, Bruce sixth, LF 7th and C 8th.
    I think teh Dusty will bat Bruce 5th and Rolen 6th so he's not batting Bruce/Dickerson(Nix) back to back.

I wonder why there has been no official announcement from the Reds yet.

Turn Off Ads?