Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

All dyslexics must untie!

Re: Reds sign Orlando Cabrera to one-year, $3M deal; option for second year

I was clamoring for Cabrera 5 years ago...better late than never, I guess

Walt has improved the team's defense, as expected. No more Dunn in LF and EdE at 3rd. Now he's got veterans in Roland and Cabrera and a solid UI in Janish (who hits like Juan Castro) to go along with Phillips and Votto

I heard that the Reds are pretty high on Heisey, perhaps he'll break through in spring training? The reports from AZ last fall were impressive

If Harang can rediscover his stuff and Homer show that last September wasn't a fluke, this could be the year the Reds creep back up over .500

Like I said...better late than never
    Never overlook the obvious

2. Turn Off Ads?

According to Lance McAlisrer's blog....

It seems Cabrera has rubbed some teammates and others the wrong way. When he was with Chicago he would call the press box and argue with the official scorer about errors charged to him.

Has anyone here heard any stories like this about Cabrera?

The story about him calling the press box is true.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The story about him calling the press box is true.
    Thanks reds44.

Did he do it more than once? What kind of problems has he ever had with teammates?

I heard his dog ate Vlad Guerrero's goldfish and then Cabrera lied and said Vlad never had a goldfish.

But then why did Vlad have the bowl, OCab? Why did he have the bowl?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Are they going to have a press conference for this?
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I heard his dog ate Vlad Guerrero's goldfish and then Cabrera lied and said Vlad never had a goldfish.

But then why did Vlad have the bowl, OCab? Why did he have the bowl?

Yeah I remember hearing something about that. Vlad isn't gonna lie about that but whatever.. it's in the past. Hopefully he doesn't have any of these issues here. I doubt he's a distraction in the Reds loose clubhouse. Most of the guys will probably look up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Thanks reds44.

Did he do it more than once? What kind of problems has he ever had with teammates?
    I know he wasn't well liked during his year with the Sox, and that he and Ozzie clashed. Keep in mind that they still made the playoffs that year with him as their leadoff hitter though.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    According to Lance McAlisrer's blog....

It seems Cabrera has rubbed some teammates and others the wrong way. When he was with Chicago he would call the press box and argue with the official scorer about errors charged to him.

Has anyone here heard any stories like this about Cabrera?
    The most vicious rumor about Cabrera [vicious, assuming that it's false] is that he has an affinity for underage girls, and this caused the Red Sox to run him out of town even after he helped them win a world series. [Google "Orlando Cabrera" and underage]. The talk radio people in Boston's big sports station would constantly say that they knew why Orlando Cabrera was run out of town, but that they were ordered by the station not to talk about it in order to prevent the station from being sued.

As for the mainstream media, ESPN has gone on record to talk about the allegation that he partied too much (at least earlier in his career) and that he's had a public nasty feud with fellow Columbian Edgar Renteria:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3356524

As for Orlando Cabrera the player - I hate watching him in the batters box (hacker) but loved his glove earlier in his career. I know that his range numbers slipped in '09, but that may have been the product of nagging injuries. He did play 160 games at shortstop, and there's some value to that.
    Stick to your guns.

And let me clarify something, Lance made it sound like the calling the press box thing happend often, as far as I know it only happend once.

I took this line from that ESPN article cincinnati chili posted about Cabrera's conflict with Edgar Renteria:

"One afternoon in the middle of the playoff chase, Manny Ramírez asked for the day off because of a headache. Cabrera approached him and said, "There's no way you're coming out of the lineup. I've never been in the playoffs." Ramírez acquiesced, and Cabrera walked into Terry Francona's office and told him, "Manny is going to play"

That might seem brash..but I like it.

I have a feeling Cabrera might rub some Reds fans the wrong way with some of the things he could potentially say. Maybe the team and organization needs that.

I'm not out on a witch hunt against Cabrera.

It's just I've never heard of him causing any clubhouse problems and was too lazy to do the research. I knew if there were any problems, someone here would Know.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I know he wasn't well liked during his year with the Sox, and that he and Ozzie clashed. Keep in mind that they still made the playoffs that year with him as their leadoff hitter though.

Thanks again reds44,

I don't think it would be too difficult to clash with Ozzie.

I really like the signing, primarily because Janish is so horrible.

Nice upgrade move, no long term commitment and we have the flexiblity to bring him back in 2011 if we want to.

It's not going to make the Reds contenders, but hopefully it avoids a black hole at SS.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ind...a-to-colorado/

There’s no word yet if the option is for the player or for the club, but it’s likely a player option. Cabrera turned 35 in November, and he’s coming off of a 2009 season split between the A’s and the Twins in which he batted .284/.316/.389. Once park and league factors are accounted for, that offensive performance was 11 percent below average (89 wRC+), nearly a perfect match for his career 90 wRC+.

Cabrera has been average or better with the bat just twice in his career: 2003 (115 wRC+; viva Les Expos!) and 2007 (100 wRC+ with the Angels). However, he did at least provide fantasy players with 20-plus steals a year, and at a nifty success rate (78.9 percent career).

O-Cab’s speed appears to be waning, though. He swiped 27 bags in 30 attempts (90 success rate) in 2006, with a 5.7 Speed Score (the MLB average is about five). Cabrera hasn’t been as aggressive since then:

2007: 20 SB/4 CS (83.3%), 5.1 Speed Score
    2008: 19 SB/6 CS (76%), 4.5 Speed Score
    2009: 13 SB/4 CS (76.5%), 4.7 Speed Score

Cabrera is an upgrade over home-grown option Paul Janish at the plate, as CHONE projects an 89 wRC+ from Orlando and a 77 wRC+ from the 27 year-old Janish.

Whether Cabrera is a better player overall, however, depends on how you evaluate the two defensively. Janish posted excellent TotalZone ratings in the minors, and CHONE considers him about a +7 defender in full-time duty. Cabrera rated poorly in 2009 no matter what defensive metric you employ, but I have a hard time stomaching CHONE’s -15 projection for him. Jeff Zimmerman of Beyond the Boxscore has Cabrera projected as an average defender in 2010. If that’s the case, then O-Cab figures to be about a 1.8-1.9 WAR player as a full-time starter, compared to roughly 1.7 WAR for Janish. This looks like a lateral move for Cincinnati.

Turn Off Ads?