Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Young Shortstops

Re: The Young Shortstops

Some interesting comments here. My two cents: Rojas is by far the best of the bunch defensively and the best all-around player at this point even though he has not hit this season. He is light years ahead of Gregorius and Rodriguez as far as consistency, fundamentals, leadership, and general understanding of the game and his responsibilities in the defense. To me, he is a Janish type player. I would take him on my team any day of the week.

The comparisons of Gregorius and Rodriguez are a bit puzzling because they are not similar players at all. Gregorius is much, much faster. Gregorius has a cannon at shortstop (much better arm than Cozart or Rojas). Gregorius is a very toolsy player but at this point, is a little shaky over the day to day grind (evidence: he had more errors at shortstop by mid June than Rojas had all season last year in the same league). Rodriguez, despite his stolen base total, is an average runner at best (not as fast, for example, as Puckett, who played his position in Dayton in 2009). Rodriguez has made major improvement defensively at second base over the course of this season. Still, he is only what I would term adequate for a low-A second baseman. He does not have the speed to play the outfield. Some scouts feel he is a better fit at third. My biggest problem with him this season is that he struggles with the mental part of the game and struggles to maintain focus for the full nine innings, resulting in costly blunders (although that has gotten better). He is a solid #3 hitter in what is becoming a good Dayton lineup and could possibly end up leading the league in RBI. He has much more pop than Gregorius as a hitter. He is a switch hitter but struggles from the right side of the plate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Some interesting comments here. My two cents: Rojas is by far the best of the bunch defensively and the best all-around player at this point even though he has not hit this season. He is light years ahead of Gregorius and Rodriguez as far as consistency, fundamentals, leadership, and general understanding of the game and his responsibilities in the defense. To me, he is a Janish type player. I would take him on my team any day of the week.

The comparisons of Gregorius and Rodriguez are a bit puzzling because they are not similar players at all. Gregorius is much, much faster. Gregorius has a cannon at shortstop (much better arm than Cozart or Rojas). Gregorius is a very toolsy player but at this point, is a little shaky over the day to day grind (evidence: he had more errors at shortstop by mid June than Rojas had all season last year in the same league). Rodriguez, despite his stolen base total, is an average runner at best (not as fast, for example, as Puckett, who played his position in Dayton in 2009). Rodriguez has made major improvement defensively at second base over the course of this season. Still, he is only what I would term adequate for a low-A second baseman. He does not have the speed to play the outfield. Some scouts feel he is a better fit at third. My biggest problem with him this season is that he struggles with the mental part of the game and struggles to maintain focus for the full nine innings, resulting in costly blunders (although that has gotten better). He is a solid #3 hitter in what is becoming a good Dayton lineup and could possibly end up leading the league in RBI. He has much more pop than Gregorius as a hitter. He is a switch hitter but struggles from the right side of the plate.
    Good to know. What about Hamilton though? He is younger and has less experience than the others so there is less to go off of...but the kid is just a freak athlete. And if he sharpens that rawness and hits...the kid could be a monster.

Here is how I see it playing out next year:

CAROLINA
    2B Puckett/Greene (with the other playing LF)
    SS Rojas

LYNCHBURG
    2B Lohman
    SS Gregorious
    3B H.Rodriguez

DAYTON
    2B Arias
    SS Hamilton

Valor will be playing SS in the AZL
    Go BLUE!!!

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Here is how I see it playing out next year:

CAROLINA
    2B Puckett/Greene (with the other playing LF)
    SS Rojas

LYNCHBURG
    2B Lohman
    SS Gregorious
    3B H.Rodriguez

DAYTON
    2B Arias
    SS Hamilton

Valor will be playing SS in the AZL
    Probably spot on...

I have not seen Hamilton. One of the great things about baseball is that for each person you talk to, you get a different opinion on the same subject and different scouts see him differently. Some say he will end up being an Otis Nixon type outfielder. Some say he has looked much better at second than at short. Keep this in mind: He still has a long way to go. His work ethic will have as much to say about how he ends up as his talent.

Most people who like Arias say he will end up at third base.

His work ethic will have as much to say about how he ends up as his talent.
    This an important point that is often overlooked. I would add that a player's ability to learn -- often referred to as "making adjustments" -- is also key.

Good stuff, as always, 72. I like what you say about Rojas -- I hope he can bounce back offensively after the injury.

Turn Off Ads?