Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What do the Reds need to contend this year?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • elite left fielder

10 24.39%
  • bonafide ace starting pitcher

7 17.07%
  • better coaching

4 9.76%
  • all of the above

8 19.51%
  • none of the above...they're contenders already

6 14.63%
  • other

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's missing?

What's missing?

So I think that it's safe to say the the 2010 Cincinnati Reds will at the very least be better then the 2009 team.I think the majority would agree that it's probably the best team the Reds have fielded in a long while.I actually hear a good amount of people saying that we are close to contending.

So my question is, what is it that the Reds are lacking that could keep them from contending this year if anything?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's missing?

I'd love a better more consistent 5th starter. If some arms go unsigned a couple more weeks, Reds could pull off another quality steal.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

for me I'm thinking it could be a guy to get on at the top of the order....I hope Stubbs/Dickerson turns out to be that guy(s)

also I don't have alot of confidence in the bench but then again I don't have alot of confidence in anyone's bench

I'd really like another big bat. LF is the most obvious spot for it. An ace SP would obviously be great too but that's not really realistic IMO.

I voted for a bonafide ace. I think if Volquez were healthy, they'd be considered legit contenders. Maybe not division favorites or a playoff lock, but certainly contenders. There just aren't many teams who can match a rotation of Volquez, Harang, Cueto, Arroyo and Bailey (with the likes of Chapman and others waiting in the wings). I think the offense could be really good right now if Bruce takes a step forward like a lot of us expect him to this year.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    So I think that it's safe to say the the 2010 Cincinnati Reds will at the very least be better then the 2009 team.I think the majority would agree that it's probably the best team the Reds have fielded in a long while.I actually hear a good amount of people saying that we are close to contending.

So my question is, what is it that the Reds are lacking that could keep them from contending this year if anything?
    An Ace.. Matt Holliday..

Harang is a shell of his former self. Arroyo is consistantly average. Volquez is out until mid-late season. Homer showed a different side.. A side we had visions of and hopefully will continue where he left off. Cueto is a rare breed and once he can learn to build off a good start he will be unstoppable.

The team went on record as saying they wanted to add a LFer and were linked to Matt Holliday, Jermaine Dye, and Bobby Abreu.. Just never closed the deal and settled with Gomes, Nix, Balentine, and Dickerson. I think Gomes is a great player and love having him a Red(soon to be resigned) but he is a one sided player. Hinse the platoon label.

With that said I think this team is a contender currently and purhaps have set themselves up well for years to come by allowing the youth develop.

I voted that they are contenders right now.I wouldn't say that they'll make the playoffs but if they can stay healthy I think this current team can be close in the end.Contending is contending weather you make it to the post season or not.

With a good move or two around the trade deadline the playoff drought could end imo.

I went with "Elite LFer". I'd love to have a big RH slugger to hit 4th between Votto and Bruce and move Phillips down the lineup. I don't see a power bat out there though, so I think Damon would do fine, If there's anything needed more than a power bat, it's someone who can get on base. Damon's OBP (and power) would fit nicely at the top of the order.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-01-2010 at 12:00 AM.

I put other.

Because on base percentage is what is missing, and especially against right handed pitching.

Another $10 million dollar scoreboard?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I voted other as the Reds are "contenders" as they stand but in order to truly compete for a title they are in need of all of the above AND a few players taking a step forward.

What I'd give to have Adam Dunn on this team...

Add him and I'd like us to win the Central.

Oh well. LF is the biggest hole at this point, IMO.

I vote other......either a bona fiede leadoff hitter, or a power bat for LF. Get either of those, and the pitching stays healthy, I think we're in contention for the Central.

We need better coaching and time. This organization has more talent than its had at any point in the last decade. Given our financial constraints, I'm not going to demand signing or trading for an impact player. What we need is proper utilization of the talent we have, both in terms of playing time and batting order, in-game decisions, etc.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

IMO it's Chris Heisey in CF and leading off. He finds 1B, hits for average and power and though he isn't the elite defender Stubbs is, his range doesn't scream corner OF.

Dickerson becomes the 4th OF, a guy that can handle all four positions and has some pop. He's also not afraid to take a BB now and then.

SS has been addressed, though I think the signing was a mistake. That leaves a boatload of players pining for LF, Wlad, Nix, Dorn, and possibly Gomes. In my scenario, Dickerson makes the team as the 4th OF.

I'd open up the wallet and get Damon. Yes he has a weenine arm, but he's always had a weenie arm. His other defense is top notch, and he'd make a fine #2 hitter behind Heisey and in front of Votto. That's an OF i could get behind.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?