Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Thoughts On Micah Owings?

What Are Your Thoughts On Micah Owings?

I'll tell ya - if the Reds are looking to free up a roster spot then IMO they can start with this guy. I know that many held out hope when we acquired him from the D'Backs that he could possibly turn into a serviceable #4 or #5 guy in the rotation, but I've seen enough of this guy, even out of the bullpen.

Code:
    SEASON	TEAM	G	GS	CG	SHO	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	W	L	SV	HLD	BLSV	WHIP	ERA
    2007	Ari	29	27	2	1	152.2	146	81	73	20	50	106	8	8	0	0	--	1.28	4.30
    2008	Ari	22	18	0	0	104.2	104	73	69	14	41	87	6	9	0	1	--	1.39	5.93
    2009	Cin	26	19	0	0	119.2	126	75	71	18	64	68	7	12	1	0	0	1.59	5.34
    2010	Cin	22	0	0	0	33.1	28	20	20	3	25	35	3	2	0	0	--	1.59	5.40
    Total	--	99	64	2	1	410.1	404	249	233	55	180	296	24	31	1	1	--	1.42	5.11
    A home ERA of 8.69. He definitely shouldn't see the light of day versus a LH'd hitter. They salivate facing off against the guy.

What, if any, options do we have with this guy?
    Last edited by GAC; 07-21-2010 at 07:10 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Micah Owings?

I dont' disagree, but man, he doesn't get steady work either. Last night was the first time he pitched in 16 days. Kind of hard to stay sharp that way.

Walks will haunt. Owings gives up way too many, even in the outings where he manages to throw a scoreless inning.

Trade him to Kansas City.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If someone will take him, deal him. If not send him through waivers and free up a spot on the 40 man. Last night was the final straw for me.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    If someone will take him, deal him. If not send him through waivers and free up a spot on the 40 man. Last night was the final straw for me.
    He hadn't pitched in over two weeks -- even the long man needs to get work sometimes or they'll be rusty. If you want to cut on Owings, I can get that, but using last night as an examlpe isn't fair to him, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

35K's in 33 IP.

Under a hit per inning.

the walks are a serious problem, but when you don't pitch for almost 2.5 weeks, that's gonna happen. There is not other long man in the pen. Maybe Smith could do it, but i wouldn't count on it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I dont' disagree, but man, he doesn't get steady work either. Last night was the first time he pitched in 16 days. Kind of hard to stay sharp that way.

Yeah. If you're not going to use him, why have him on the roster? Dusty's not even using him as a pinch hitter anymore. Free up the spot for a position player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

can hit for power

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Walks will haunt. Owings gives up way too many, even in the outings where he manages to throw a scoreless inning.
    Looking at the OP's stats, Owings K/BB ratio was better than 2:1 in Arizona but has declined considerably since coming over to Cincinnati. Something changed for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He hadn't pitched in over two weeks -- even the long man needs to get work sometimes or they'll be rusty. If you want to cut on Owings, I can get that, but using last night as an examlpe isn't fair to him, IMO.
    And imo there is a big reason he doesn't get regular work: because Dusty doesn't have enough confidence to use him. In that case he is a waste of a roster spot.

I don't believe in carrying a long man. They tend to be used in very rare situations. Especially when you have good starting pitching, as the Reds do.

I'm not sure Dusty lacks confidence in Owings. I just think Owings has a role that seldom comes into play. Owings started the season well, but as the long man he hasn't pitched enough.

I'd prefer to have a few middle relievers who can work multiple innings. Guys who can be called upon in the sixth inning to work two frames.

In the rare case when the starter is knocked out early, these multi-inning relievers would have to pitch a bit more to fill the gap.

I'd prefer that to a long man who just sits waiting for the starter to be knocked out or the occasional long extra inning game.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-21-2010 at 10:00 AM.

YOu can't leave a guy on the bench 16 days and expect him to be sharp. This true long man thing isn't working out too well with this pitching staff. WE don't have guys that go 2-3 innings where you need a long man. He's in a tough position. Micah I think had done ok for what he's had to do. I was worried about him, but thankfully Reds had just enough cushion last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    YOu can't leave a guy on the bench 16 days and expect him to be sharp. This true long man thing isn't working out too well with this pitching staff. WE don't have guys that go 2-3 innings where you need a long man.

Actually, we do. Masset, Smith and Ondrusek can and have done that. This isn't a team that needs a long man that often. When we do, it's been in a game where we've had a big lead. Not a bad problem to have.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

He was very solid out of the bullpen early in the season and I thought he had found a home there. However, he has struggled big-time lately and I don't know what to think of him. I'm not ready to give up on him like you are, but I certainly am concerned. Especially considering I thought he was going to be a nice asset out there for the Reds for a while. However, his inability to pitch on back-to-back nights really hurts him. Since he doesn't pitch often, he gets rusty and he simply hasn't been effective lately. And if they end up making Harang a long reliever, or Bailey a long reliever down the stretch (because the starting rotation has to be Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Volquez and Wood) then Owings might be out of a job.

Turn Off Ads?