Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds back away from Gomes now. It's a shame, but I wonder if the FO is thinking the roster is set. They can keep Janish and Sutton as the back-up IF, and now they can use Miles as an IF/OF.
    Think it might be the ghost of Jerry Hairston, Jr.? Career years (or bumps) might have scared off the Reds. Add in David Ross, too. I still think they'll sign Gomes to a minor league contract and he'll make the team while Sutton and maybe even Nix will not. It should be a fun spring training in the desert.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Everyone acts like Gomes had some crazy year for his standards last year. It was actually the third time in his young career that he's reached 20 HRs (21, 20, 20). The guy can hit. Liability defensively, but not bad enough that it will kill you. I'm surprised some team didn't offer him a major league contract at about $1 mil.

But if it means the Reds get him back on a minor league deal, I'm all about it.

I don't understand the minor league deal thing though. Unless they plan on making a trade in spring training, they should just offer him a major league deal now. He's going to be on the team when they come north anyway. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I agree with that 44 ... I guess the Reds just know (think?) that Gomes has no other good options and they can get him to sign a minor league deal and then see what happens in ST.

But yeah, Gomes would definitely make the team if he signs IMO. Even if it's just as a backup, there is no doubt in my mind he would come north with the team and would be in uniform on Opening Day on April 5.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't understand the minor league deal thing though. Unless they plan on making a trade in spring training, they should just offer him a major league deal now. He's going to be on the team when they come north anyway. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    With a minor league deal, they don't have to move someone off the 40 man roster. Between now and opening day, spacde will be made, between injuries, trades and guys not performing.

And remember that Corey Patterson got a minor league deal, that turned into $3M once he made the team, so we can't assume that this deal will be cheap.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Its to save a spot on the 40 man roster until they can put Volquez on the 60 day DL.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    With a minor league deal, they don't have to move someone off the 40 man roster. Between now and opening day, spacde will be made, between injuries, trades and guys not performing.

And remember that Corey Patterson got a minor league deal, that turned into $3M once he made the team, so we can't assume that this deal will be cheap.
    I understand what having him on a minor league deal does (or I guess doesn't) do to the roster, it just seems like an uneeded risk to only be offering him a minor league deal at this point. Just sign him and make room on the 40 man.

The one explanation that did makes sense is what mth just posted. They can't put Volquez on the 60 day DL until spring training, so offering him a minor league deal with Pattersonesque language in the contract makes sense, I suppose.

I don't see Gomes having much of a market until Damon and even Dye are signed at this point, so the Reds could be waiting to see if Damon's price tag drops even further before making a move on Gomes. If you bring Damon in, you have no use for a guy like Nix who will be assured not to make the team at that point (and I don't want him on the team even if they don't get Damon), and Balentin is assured to make the team and you can give him ABs for some lefties in place of Damon. Same things goes with Stubbs/Dickerson in CF.

Walt has played the market near perfectly this offseason, so I have faith in him when it comes to Gomes.
    Last edited by reds44; 02-02-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Its to save a spot on the 40 man roster until they can put Volquez on the 60 day DL.
    BINGO!!!

You don't know that. Organizations typically use minor league contracts on fringe players - veterans in the "downside" of their career, or they're looking to audition a variety of players at a particular position. They offer these contracts mainly because they are low risk. Many times, they will include an "invitation to spring training". By signing a player in this manner, they don't have to clear a roster spot for them, and should the player not make the cut, he can be sent to the minors without any waiver trouble (though, some veterans choose not to report).

If teams were beating the door down for Gomes, and they obviously aren't, then any player would laugh at a minor league contract. But when they aren't, then that is what is offered. Advantage organization. It's a safeguard all around for the organization.

And besides the above advantages, the Reds will save money if he accepts the ml contract. And if some of other player, maybe one of our prospects, steps up in ST and wins/deserves the shot, you then have Gomes in Louisville as a capable backup if need be.

Sound move by our GM IMO. And if Gomes does not sign then IMO it's no great loss.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You don't know that. Organizations typically use minor league contracts on fringe players - veterans in the "downside" of their career, or they're looking to audition a variety of players at a particular position. They offer these contracts mainly because they are low risk. Many times, they will include an "invitation to spring training". By signing a player in this manner, they don't have to clear a roster spot for them, and should the player not make the cut, he can be sent to the minors without any waiver trouble (though, some veterans choose not to report).

If teams were beating the door down for Gomes, and they obviously aren't, then any player would laugh at a minor league contract. But when they aren't, then that is what is offered. Advantage organization. It's a safeguard all around for the organization.

And besides the above advantages, the Reds will save money if he accepts the ml contract. And if some of other player, maybe one of our prospects, steps up in ST and wins/deserves the shot, you then have Gomes in Louisville as a capable backup if need be.

Sound move by our GM IMO. And if Gomes does not sign then IMO it's no great loss.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds back away from Gomes now. It's a shame, but I wonder if the FO is thinking the roster is set. They can keep Janish and Sutton as the back-up IF, and now they can use Miles as an IF/OF.
    It's ok to have a lighter hitting back-up IF, but not in the OF. Keeping two of those guys on the roster is a stretch, three is pure roster mismanagement.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why? because no one is beating down his door looking for a slow, iron glove, DH/1B playing waaaaay out of position, with a history on injuries coming off a career year?
    Because all the articles written about Gomes during the arbitration period was how his agents were working on their more high profile clients. IMO for the right price Gomes could have been signed pre arbitration but his agents had a different focus. Now Gomes is approaching free agency without a contract and is looking like a minor league contract is his only option. Its pretty sad when you take into consideration that he hit 20 hr's and had an OPS+ of 127 in roughly 100 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Everyone acts like Gomes had some crazy year for his standards last year. It was actually the third time in his young career that he's reached 20 HRs (21, 20, 20). The guy can hit. Liability defensively, but not bad enough that it will kill you. I'm surprised some team didn't offer him a major league contract at about $1 mil.

But if it means the Reds get him back on a minor league deal, I'm all about it.
    2009 also wasn't even his best year; 2005 was.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Because all the articles written about Gomes during the arbitration period was how his agents were working on their more high profile clients. IMO for the right price Gomes could have been signed pre arbitration but his agents had a different focus. Now Gomes is approaching free agency without a contract and is looking like a minor league contract is his only option. Its pretty sad when you take into consideration that he hit 20 hr's and had an OPS+ of 127 in roughly 100 games.
    Russell Branyan is still looking for work.

Thome was until very recently.

In fact a lot of guys are looking for work. Welcome to the new baseball economy. Here is the thing. I doubt he would have been signed by anyone early, high profile clients or not. If GM's really thought he was a safe bet to produce at that level over 500+ AB's, he'd have been snapped up to his best contract ever, and still would have been cheap for most teams. He's the kind of player MLB has in excess. And he's almost never healthy.

I think Gomes does have a lot of talent, buuuuuut. he doesn't BB much, 177 in over 500 games played, but he does have some pop. He doesn't play a key position, from all accounts can't play 1B either. And he's kind of brittle. I enjoyed most of the games he played as a Red. I thought he should have gone north with the team out of ST. But there was a reason he isn't even a type B FA. He's going to struggle to OBP .330.

He's a platoon LF. Why clamor for that?
    Last edited by TRF; 02-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    2009 also wasn't even his best year; 2005 was.
    yep and three ABYSMAL years in between
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?