Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

What's the latest with Gomes?

I heard he was on the verge of signing a minor-league deal with the Reds, but haven't heard anything since? Was that finalized? Is it still expected to happen? Especially with Taveras no longer around, there is a real good chance Gomes would make the team and would platoon in LF. With Taveras gone, Dickerson can play more CF (when Stubbs needs a day off or if Stubbs is struggling) and that would leave Gomes, Nix and Balentien battling it out for LF. Dickerson will still play some LF too (he and Stubbs in the lineup together).

Anyway, I'm hoping Gomes is signed. Then the offseason will feel complete.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

redlegnation RT @m_sheldon #reds still trying to sign Gomes, Jocketty said. It kind of got pushed back while he was doing other moves, on caravan, etc.

http://twitter.com/m_sheldon

From C. Trent:

#Reds GM Walt Jocketty said they're still talking to Gomes, seemed optimistic about a return

http://twitter.com/ctrent

I feel bad the guy has to accept a minor league contract after hitting 20 hrs last yr

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    I feel bad the guy has to accept a minor league contract after hitting 20 hrs last yr
    If I were Gomes I would be looking for a new agent.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Why? because no one is beating down his door looking for a slow, iron glove, DH/1B playing waaaaay out of position, with a history on injuries coming off a career year?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I think once teams relized the Reds were offering a minor league deal and he was on the verge of signing it other teams anteed up. I would love to get Jonny back but how much is the limit to offer him.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why? because no one is beating down his door looking for a slow, iron glove, DH/1B playing waaaaay out of position, with a history on injuries coming off a career year?
    tell us how you really feel....just don't get the constant bellyaching over LF defense. I guess if you simply don't like the guy then that's where you attack him but honestly he wasn't the worst leftfielder "we've" had lately and it's not like the guy was demanding 9 million.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    tell us how you really feel....just don't get the constant bellyaching over LF defense. I guess if you simply don't like the guy then that's where you attack him but honestly he wasn't the worst leftfielder "we've" had lately and it's not like the guy was demanding 9 million.
    Or 10-15 million

count me as concerned. Gomes will help the 2010 club as he is better than all other current in house options (especially vs LHP). i thought his signing was all but official. hopefully Walt gets it done very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    count me as concerned. Gomes will help the 2010 club as he is better than all other current in house options (especially vs LHP). i thought his signing was all but official. hopefully Walt gets it done very soon.
    I agree..

He needs to be on this team. At worst, he is a LHP neutralizer.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    No kidding. From reading all the comments right around the deadline to re-sign him around X-mas, it seemed like his agent(s) gave him short shrift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds back away from Gomes now. It's a shame, but I wonder if the FO is thinking the roster is set. They can keep Janish and Sutton as the back-up IF, and now they can use Miles as an IF/OF.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds back away from Gomes now. It's a shame, but I wonder if the FO is thinking the roster is set. They can keep Janish and Sutton as the back-up IF, and now they can use Miles as an IF/OF.
    please no. Miles only belongs in the OF in some emergency due to injury. if he gets 1 AB in LF as a starter it would be 1 AB too much.

Bench:
    Hanigan
    Janish for late inning defense
    Miles or Sutton or Frazier (long shot)
    Dickerson
    Nix or Balentien (assuming we sign Gomes)

Turn Off Ads?