Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Nobody ever complained about the unbalanced schedule in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.
    There was no interleague play then. IIRC, you'd still see NL teams outside the division twice at home and twice away. Now, you only see NL teams not in the division just 6 games, I think.. Or it sure seems that way.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    There was no interleague play then. IIRC, you'd still see NL teams outside the division twice at home and twice away. Now, you only see NL teams not in the division just 6 games, I think.. Or it sure seems that way.
    Then the argument should be against interleague play, not the unbalanced schedule.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Then the argument should be against interleague play, not the unbalanced schedule.
    I'm against both.

I agree but I feel it's here to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I agree but I feel it's here to stay.
    I'd like reduced interleague play if possible.
    IIRC, the games where the Royals and other no name AL teams came to Cincy were some of the worst attendence draws. Now, I'm sure they make up for it on other teams.

But what about taking advantage of and marketing teams in your own league? Seems kind of dumb Manny only comes to Cincy once a year.
    Even with interleague play, they should balance the schedule. It would make the wildcard race more fair too. Not that I expect Bud to listen
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I would like to eliminate interleague play, if possible.

I would not necessarily be opposed to a balanced schedule, but if MLB were to go to that, then they should do away with divisions altogether, since they would completely arbitrary. Instead, have one league, and the top four teams play in the playoffs. (Or they could do away with the playoffs, and simply crown the first-place club the NL Champion.)

But if they decide they want to keep divisional play (which I prefer, since it is what I have known in one form or another since childhood), then there has to be an unbalanced schedule so that games within the division have greater importance.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It would make the wildcard race more fair too.

Sorry this is a pet peeve of mine when people complain about the wildcard's "fairness." Part of the reason it exists is specifically to not be fair. You want fair win your division. Otherwise you're in the crap shoot with the rest of the 2nd place teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Apparently Bronson Arroyo was interviewed on Baseball Tonight and said Jonny Gomes was returning to the Reds. Anyone see/hear the interview?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

This would be very good news, if true.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Hopefully that's not the typical spouting from the mouth with no facts to back it up that we're used to from Bronson. Would love to see Gomes signed as a minor league invite.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Apparently Bronson Arroyo was interviewed on Baseball Tonight and said Jonny Gomes was returning to the Reds. Anyone see/hear the interview?
    I just came on redzone to see this. He said it.

Reds, Gomes talking
    Posted by jfay February 17th, 2010, 6:19 pm

The Reds and Jonny Gomes’ representatives continue to talk.

“We’ll see what happens,” Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. “Hopefully, we can get something done this weekend.”

If the Reds fail to sign Gomes, they may look elsewhere for a right-handed hitting outfielder.

“We were talking about that today,” Jocketty said. “We see the need as well. It’s something we might address later in spring with a trade or something.”

Center fielder Drew Stubbs is the only lock among right-handed hitters to make the club. Wladimir Balentien has a good shot as well. But Balentien hit .165 overall against left-handers last year.

Gomes hit .307 with five home runs, and 19 RBI in 101 at-bats versus left-handers.

Top prospects Todd Frazier and Chris Heisey are right-handed hitters. But none of them has ever played in the majors and won’t likely make the team unless they win the everyday job in left field.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

There was an article a while back that said because of money already invested in thier lineup and with guys like Francisco, Mayberry and Taylor in thier pipeline, the Phils might not re-up Jayson Werth.

Don't know what (if anything) we'd have that they'd want or what we'd be willing to give, but I'd love to see Reds target him for LF - if not this season, maybe in Free Agency next off season. If they don't want to deal Werth, I'd gladly take Mayberry, Francisco or Taylor.

Stubbs/Dickerson
    Phillips
    Votto
    Werth
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Cabrera
    Hernandez

Janish
    Sutton
    Balentein
    Hanigan
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-18-2010 at 01:12 AM.

I have no problem with interleague play. I love it. This is MLB, NL and AL are not different things, they are all major league baseball. You don't see the NFC and AFC complaining about playing each other. I see MLB, not AL and NL.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

AFC and NFC follow the same rules though....the AL needs to drop the DH, or the NL needs to add it.

I don't care which. I'd prefer the AL drop it, but I'm fine with either.

The NFL has had a salary cap too...but that appears to not be the case going into 2010, which is a topic for a different thread
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 02-18-2010 at 12:43 AM.

Turn Off Ads?