Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

I think platoons get blown a little out of proportion here on RZ. The idea makes sense, but in practice is a little more difficult. If the Reds sign Gomes, he will play against RHP, probably play quite a bit of games against RHP. When you look at it, you face RHP what 3/4 of the time? Gomes may very well be the starting LF coming out of the spring, the same way Dickerson was last season.

I realize that Gomes isn't the best defender out there in LF, but he brings something to the table that no other LF brings, legit power. As a team you need that balance, you can't have a team full of little power, good field players. Gomes adds value in being a part LF, being a PH with power, and if he plays like he did last year he deserves a shot to be the every day LF. If he comes on a minor league contract even better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think platoons get blown a little out of proportion here on RZ. The idea makes sense, but in practice is a little more difficult. If the Reds sign Gomes, he will play against RHP, probably play quite a bit of games against RHP. When you look at it, you face RHP what 3/4 of the time? Gomes may very well be the starting LF coming out of the spring, the same way Dickerson was last season.

I realize that Gomes isn't the best defender out there in LF, but he brings something to the table that no other LF brings, legit power. As a team you need that balance, you can't have a team full of little power, good field players. Gomes adds value in being a part LF, being a PH with power, and if he plays like he did last year he deserves a shot to be the every day LF. If he comes on a minor league contract even better.
    I think Gomes would be a platoon outfielder facing lefties. He would also be the first corner outfielder to play full time if someone else is injured. He would pinch hit. And he would get occasional starts here and there against righties to give others a rest.

I see him getting 300 at bats.

Thought his left field play was better than advertised last season. Not a disaster out there.

I think the LF guy, whomever, will hit seventh or eighth in the lineup. When it's Gomes, I see him hitting seventh. That's where he hit for a number of games late last year.

Possibly he could hit higher (sixth) against lefties, but that might entail dropping Bruce down to seventh against LHP.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    But I guess his injuries aren't relevant? He has had 2 pretty successful years versus RHP and they were both injury free. What I am saying is that he deserves a shot until proven otherwise.

We know Dickerson can probably give us .280/.350/.370. But it would be nice to have more than that.
    I think the injuries are VERY relevant. He can't stay healthy. When he is, he can't top 350 AB's. why spend a dime on a player that will cost three times as much as the in-house options?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

From Fay's twitter:

I asked a #Reds official if Gomes was given a 10 am deadline to aid the scribes. He wasn't. But we should know today, one way or another.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think the injuries are VERY relevant. He can't stay healthy. When he is, he can't top 350 AB's. why spend a dime on a player that will cost three times as much as the in-house options?
    1) Based on his history, I'd let the doctors make that determination. He had nagging shoulder injuries. Maybe surgery made them better. It's not like he is fragile, getting hurt with a different ailment every time you turn around. If the shoulder is sound, then what is there to worry about?

2) He brings different things to the table than those other in-house options you speak of. The team doesn't have much power in the lineup and has less on the bench. This team could really use his bat.

From Fay's twitter:

Gomes, #Reds have agreed. He'll be here today for a physical.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Nice, very very nice. Low risk, pretty good shot at a nice reward.

Can't see anything wrong with this.

Shoot, he could have had 3 million if half the folks here had the Reds MC last fall.

Gomes shouldn't just be handed the left field job, IMO. I'm glad to have him back but I prefer him as a power bat off the bench and occasional starter.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Shoot, he could have had 3 million if half the folks here had the Reds MC last fall.

I was all for giving him between 1.5MM and 2MM.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-22-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Gomes shouldn't just be handed the left field job, IMO. I'm glad to have him back but I prefer him as a power bat off the bench and occasional starter.
    Agreed. And I hope the Reds can find a way to keep him and Wlad on the roster this year.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

If given the shot, I think he'll have a very good chance of earning that paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I hope the Reds can find a way to keep him and Wlad on the roster this year.
    I hope so, too, although I have more confidence that Gomes can contribute than Wlad. Admittedly, Wlad has more potential, but he also has had trouble getting on track at the ML level. Gomes, by comparison, seems like the right kind of veteran player to complement our young squad. Even if he's only a platoon or role-player this season, he'll give our bench some much-needed punch.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If given the shot, I think he'll have a very good chance of earning that paycheck.
    Of course you think that, you were willing to give it to him while the Reds were only willing to give him a much lesser deal.

I'm with the Reds on this one

Of course you think that, you were willing to give it to him while the Reds were only willing to give him a much lesser deal.

I'm with the Reds on this one
    Doesn't mean I was wrong, just means the Reds played the situation better than I would have.

Turn Off Ads?