Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

Gomes update

The mystery of whether or not outfielderJonny Gomes will return to the Reds appears near a conclusion.

"We'll know something by tomorrow," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said on Sunday. "We have an offer on the table and we'd like him to be back. We're confident he will."

The offer is a Minor League deal with an invite to camp.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

its odd that Gomes can't get a major league job as the RH part of a left field or DH platoon. nevertheless if the Reds can sign him to that deal its great for us.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Thanks for the updates OBM. All is sounding positive on the Gomes front. I don't blame him at all for waiting until the last possible moment in case a Big League deal is offered to him by another team. (Not that it ever would be at this point.)

Get Jonny in camp!

I like the way WJ is dealing with players. It looks to me as if the relationship with Gomes has been amicable throughout. The minor league deal has been there and remains on the table. It seems to me that the Reds have been accommodating in allowing Gomes to use their offer as a fallback position instead of pressuring him with a take it or leave it deadline.

I suspect that Gomes wanted to wait until Damon was taken off the market before agreeing to a deal with the Reds. If a team that missed out on Damon is interested in Gomes, it should become apparent within a few days.

Had it been up to me Gomes would've been signed months ago for a couple million. I really thought it was obvious that someone would offer him at least that and with his preference being the Reds why not bring him back.It's nice to see that someone running the Reds finally has a better idea of what he's doing then your average fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Sorry this is a pet peeve of mine when people complain about the wildcard's "fairness." Part of the reason it exists is specifically to not be fair. You want fair win your division. Otherwise you're in the crap shoot with the rest of the 2nd place teams.
    I thought the wildcard existed so that both the Yanks and Boston could be in the playoffs most years... :-P
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Gomes update

The mystery of whether or not outfielderJonny Gomes will return to the Reds appears near a conclusion.

"We'll know something by tomorrow," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said on Sunday. "We have an offer on the table and we'd like him to be back. We're confident he will."

The offer is a Minor League deal with an invite to camp.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/
    I bet Gomes is giddy...

Here's his career numbers off the back of his baseball card: .261/.330/.471; OPS:.801

All the "good stick" positional tweeners in the system should take note...

This is a tough business.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The biggest reason the NFL has the ratings it does is simple; they market their players better, especially their top players. And sponsors follow that and market the top players better.

I can't think of two guys that are considered the best a their sport more than Peyton Manning and Albert Pujols. Any guesses on who is more recognizable?
    Well the other reason is that the NFL only plays 1/10 the number of games that baseball does. If your team only played once a week, you'd be more likely to watch. If only 4 games a week were televised, most on the same day it is more special. If the playoffs and the World Series were just one night, every game would be a game 7. The ratings would be much higher. If you knew this was the only game, you are more likely to tune in. If it is game 3 of the Rays- Phis and you are in Montana, ah it can wait.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Had it been up to me Gomes would've been signed months ago for a couple million. I really thought it was obvious that someone would offer him at least that and with his preference being the Reds why not bring him back.It's nice to see that someone running the Reds finally has a better idea of what he's doing then your average fan.
    Isn't it though? I too would have given Gomes $2 mil this year. Now it looks like the Reds will get him for the minimum.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    All the "good stick" positional tweeners in the system should take note...

This is a tough business.
    You mean to tell me that there's a limited market out there for guys who have a reputation as a RH platoon bat and as "defensively-challenged" even in LF?

Shocking.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You mean to tell me that there's a limited market out there for guys who have a reputation as a RH platoon bat and as "defensively-challenged" even in LF?

Shocking.
    you forgot injury plagued
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Isn't it though? I too would have given Gomes $2 mil this year. Now it looks like the Reds will get him for the minimum.
    It could still be for more than the minimum. Remember Corey Patterson? Signed a minor league deal but upon making the team out of Spring, it turned into 3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Shocking.
    Ya.

Hopefully the days where a Gomes would be a starter for the Reds are in the past.

From C. Trent:

* Also talked to Walt Jocketty about Jonny Gomes, he said they hoped to get something done tomorrow. He seemed optimistic they'd get something done and Gomes could report with the rest of the position players on Tuesday. Gomes lives in the area, so getting here would be no problem.

http://cnati.com/blogs/ctrent/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    If it was up to most of the people in this thread he'd be quite rich today.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78599

Turn Off Ads?