Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 755

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

  1. #211
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,161

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    I think platoons get blown a little out of proportion here on RZ. The idea makes sense, but in practice is a little more difficult. If the Reds sign Gomes, he will play against RHP, probably play quite a bit of games against RHP. When you look at it, you face RHP what 3/4 of the time? Gomes may very well be the starting LF coming out of the spring, the same way Dickerson was last season.

    I realize that Gomes isn't the best defender out there in LF, but he brings something to the table that no other LF brings, legit power. As a team you need that balance, you can't have a team full of little power, good field players. Gomes adds value in being a part LF, being a PH with power, and if he plays like he did last year he deserves a shot to be the every day LF. If he comes on a minor league contract even better.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #212
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,488

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think platoons get blown a little out of proportion here on RZ. The idea makes sense, but in practice is a little more difficult. If the Reds sign Gomes, he will play against RHP, probably play quite a bit of games against RHP. When you look at it, you face RHP what 3/4 of the time? Gomes may very well be the starting LF coming out of the spring, the same way Dickerson was last season.

    I realize that Gomes isn't the best defender out there in LF, but he brings something to the table that no other LF brings, legit power. As a team you need that balance, you can't have a team full of little power, good field players. Gomes adds value in being a part LF, being a PH with power, and if he plays like he did last year he deserves a shot to be the every day LF. If he comes on a minor league contract even better.
    I think Gomes would be a platoon outfielder facing lefties. He would also be the first corner outfielder to play full time if someone else is injured. He would pinch hit. And he would get occasional starts here and there against righties to give others a rest.

    I see him getting 300 at bats.

    Thought his left field play was better than advertised last season. Not a disaster out there.

    I think the LF guy, whomever, will hit seventh or eighth in the lineup. When it's Gomes, I see him hitting seventh. That's where he hit for a number of games late last year.

    Possibly he could hit higher (sixth) against lefties, but that might entail dropping Bruce down to seventh against LHP.

  4. #213
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,380

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    But I guess his injuries aren't relevant? He has had 2 pretty successful years versus RHP and they were both injury free. What I am saying is that he deserves a shot until proven otherwise.

    We know Dickerson can probably give us .280/.350/.370. But it would be nice to have more than that.
    I think the injuries are VERY relevant. He can't stay healthy. When he is, he can't top 350 AB's. why spend a dime on a player that will cost three times as much as the in-house options?
    Suck it up cupcake.

  5. #214
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    From Fay's twitter:

    I asked a #Reds official if Gomes was given a 10 am deadline to aid the scribes. He wasn't. But we should know today, one way or another.

    http://twitter.com/johnfayman

  6. #215
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think the injuries are VERY relevant. He can't stay healthy. When he is, he can't top 350 AB's. why spend a dime on a player that will cost three times as much as the in-house options?
    1) Based on his history, I'd let the doctors make that determination. He had nagging shoulder injuries. Maybe surgery made them better. It's not like he is fragile, getting hurt with a different ailment every time you turn around. If the shoulder is sound, then what is there to worry about?

    2) He brings different things to the table than those other in-house options you speak of. The team doesn't have much power in the lineup and has less on the bench. This team could really use his bat.

  7. #216
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    From Fay's twitter:

    Gomes, #Reds have agreed. He'll be here today for a physical.

    http://twitter.com/johnfayman

  8. #217
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Nice, very very nice. Low risk, pretty good shot at a nice reward.

    Can't see anything wrong with this.

  9. #218
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,635

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Shoot, he could have had 3 million if half the folks here had the Reds MC last fall.

  10. #219
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Gomes shouldn't just be handed the left field job, IMO. I'm glad to have him back but I prefer him as a power bat off the bench and occasional starter.

  11. #220
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Shoot, he could have had 3 million if half the folks here had the Reds MC last fall.


    I was all for giving him between 1.5MM and 2MM.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-22-2010 at 01:07 PM.

  12. #221
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Gomes shouldn't just be handed the left field job, IMO. I'm glad to have him back but I prefer him as a power bat off the bench and occasional starter.
    Agreed. And I hope the Reds can find a way to keep him and Wlad on the roster this year.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  13. #222
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Shoot, he could have had 3 million if half the folks here had the Reds MC last fall.
    If given the shot, I think he'll have a very good chance of earning that paycheck.

  14. #223
    SSG, Red Army Choir Guacarock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I hope the Reds can find a way to keep him and Wlad on the roster this year.
    I hope so, too, although I have more confidence that Gomes can contribute than Wlad. Admittedly, Wlad has more potential, but he also has had trouble getting on track at the ML level. Gomes, by comparison, seems like the right kind of veteran player to complement our young squad. Even if he's only a platoon or role-player this season, he'll give our bench some much-needed punch.

  15. #224
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,635

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If given the shot, I think he'll have a very good chance of earning that paycheck.
    Of course you think that, you were willing to give it to him while the Reds were only willing to give him a much lesser deal.

    I'm with the Reds on this one

  16. #225
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Of course you think that, you were willing to give it to him while the Reds were only willing to give him a much lesser deal.

    I'm with the Reds on this one
    Doesn't mean I was wrong, just means the Reds played the situation better than I would have.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25