Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 755

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

  1. #31
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't understand the minor league deal thing though. Unless they plan on making a trade in spring training, they should just offer him a major league deal now. He's going to be on the team when they come north anyway. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

    I was of the understanding that since they didn't offer him arbitration, they couldn't offer him a major league deal until sometime in May.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Something clever pahster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    yep and three ABYSMAL years in between
    OPS+

    2006 95
    2007 105
    2008 74

    That's one year slightly below average, one year slightly above, and one terrible (and very short due to injury).

  4. #33
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    OPS+

    2006 95
    2007 105
    2008 74

    That's one year slightly below average, one year slightly above, and one terrible (and very short due to injury).
    Hey! No facts allowed!

    Re-sign Gomes. Just do it already. We need offense very badly, and you won't find offense this cheap anywhere else.

  5. #34
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Anyone else concerned we still haven't heard anything? It's probably just Gomes and his agent holding out until the last minute for a possible Major League contract from another team (and they probably won't get any takers) but I'm a little bit worried that this is still unresolved.

    And I don't blame Gomes for not jumping on a minor league contract right away. The guy is better than that. I would love it if the Reds were able to get it done though -- what a bargain.

  6. #35
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Anyone else concerned we still haven't heard anything? It's probably just Gomes and his agent holding out until the last minute for a possible Major League contract from another team (and they probably won't get any takers) but I'm a little bit worried that this is still unresolved.

    And I don't blame Gomes for not jumping on a minor league contract right away. The guy is better than that. I would love it if the Reds were able to get it done though -- what a bargain.
    I think he knows he will be on the Reds roster come Opening Day.. it's just I'm sure he is getting more offers now that reports were claiming that Gomes is on the verge of accepting a Minor League deal. Teams probably came calling. I have a feeling that he won't be a Red in 2010. Instead the Reds would look toward the in house options of Dickerson, Heisey, and Nix.
    "I could watch video of Griffey swinging all day. It's like baseball porn." - C. Trent Rosecrans


    2008 Reds Record When I Attend: 9W - 5L

    2009 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 2L

    2010 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 0L

    2011 Reds Record When I Attend: 0W - 1L

  7. #36
    Member paulrichjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Savannah, TN
    Posts
    2,880

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I was of the understanding that since they didn't offer him arbitration, they couldn't offer him a major league deal until sometime in May.
    Didn't that go away in the last basic agreement? I think it did.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

  8. #37
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Didn't that go away in the last basic agreement? I think it did.
    I can't recall but then again I forgot all about the rule until Chip mentioned it.

    I'd like to see Gomes back for 2010 guess we;ll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-03-2010 at 03:21 AM.

  9. #38
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,283

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    OPS+

    2006 95
    2007 105
    2008 74

    That's one year slightly below average, one year slightly above, and one terrible (and very short due to injury).
    2006 .325 OBP
    2007 .322 OBP
    2008 .282 OBP

    abysmal. And he's never topped 385 AB's in a season. What GM in his right mind would hand him millions?
    Suck it up cupcake.

  10. #39
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    2006 .325 OBP
    2007 .322 OBP
    2008 .282 OBP

    abysmal. And he's never topped 385 AB's in a season. What GM in his right mind would hand him millions?
    Apparently none of them. Don't blame them really. He's a useful bat off the bench and that's about it. I like the guy, but he certainly isn't in Damon territory.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  11. #40
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    2006 .325 OBP
    2007 .322 OBP
    2008 .282 OBP

    abysmal. And he's never topped 385 AB's in a season. What GM in his right mind would hand him millions?
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Apparently none of them. Don't blame them really. He's a useful bat off the bench and that's about it. I like the guy, but he certainly isn't in Damon territory.
    This too!

    High fives!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  12. #41
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Didn't that go away in the last basic agreement? I think it did.

    I don't know. I looked in there last night but the language is so confusing, it's hard to tell. From what I could understand of it, it may have very well have gone away.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  13. #42
    Something clever pahster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    2006 .325 OBP
    2007 .322 OBP
    2008 .282 OBP

    abysmal. And he's never topped 385 AB's in a season. What GM in his right mind would hand him millions?
    I'm not arguing that he deserves a multi million dollar contract; I'm arguing that he's not an abysmal player. I've already shown that relative to all hitters he was average-ish in 2006 and 2007. He was pretty bad in 2008, but given how little he played and his injury problems that year, I don't think it's fair to assume that he showed his true skill level that year.

    Here's how he compared to his direct peers as a hitter from 2006 through 2008.

    Gomes
    2006 .216/.325/.431/.757
    2007 .244/.322/.460/.782
    2008 .182/.282/.383/.666

    MLB average for LF
    2006 .278/.354/.464/.818
    2007 .277/.347/.453/.800
    2008 .269/.344/.442/.786

    MLB average for DH
    2006 .263/.347/.463/.811
    2007 .268/.354/.447/.801
    2008 .255/.338/.433/.771

    He doesn't come out looking as good here, but that's to be expected since the best hitters tend to play LF and DH. That said, other than when he was hurt, he still appears to be a respectable hitter. Is he an All Star caliber player? No, but he's also not abysmal. I'm not a big fan of his OBP either, but it's acceptable given the power he provides.

  14. #43
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    May just be me personally, but OBP and defense aren't exactly the top thing I'm looking for out of my #7 hitter in the lineup in LF. He has the catcher and pitcher behind him. I'd much rather have a guy that can knock in the guys in front of him, which is EXACTLY what Gomes does.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  15. #44
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,283

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I'm not arguing that he deserves a multi million dollar contract; I'm arguing that he's not an abysmal player. I've already shown that relative to all hitters he was average-ish in 2006 and 2007. He was pretty bad in 2008, but given how little he played and his injury problems that year, I don't think it's fair to assume that he showed his true skill level that year.

    Here's how he compared to his direct peers as a hitter from 2006 through 2008.

    Gomes
    2006 .216/.325/.431/.757
    2007 .244/.322/.460/.782
    2008 .182/.282/.383/.666

    MLB average for LF
    2006 .278/.354/.464/.818
    2007 .277/.347/.453/.800
    2008 .269/.344/.442/.786

    MLB average for DH
    2006 .263/.347/.463/.811
    2007 .268/.354/.447/.801
    2008 .255/.338/.433/.771

    He doesn't come out looking as good here, but that's to be expected since the best hitters tend to play LF and DH. That said, other than when he was hurt, he still appears to be a respectable hitter. Is he an All Star caliber player? No, but he's also not abysmal. I'm not a big fan of his OBP either, but it's acceptable given the power he provides.
    He couldn't get AB's on a terrible TB team. He's a platoon DH that has a history of injury issues. I like his power, but the comparisons to Dunn that I've read are laughable. Gomes isn't even Branyan-lite.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  16. #45
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I'm not arguing that he deserves a multi million dollar contract; I'm arguing that he's not an abysmal player. I've already shown that relative to all hitters he was average-ish in 2006 and 2007. He was pretty bad in 2008, but given how little he played and his injury problems that year, I don't think it's fair to assume that he showed his true skill level that year.

    Here's how he compared to his direct peers as a hitter from 2006 through 2008.

    Gomes
    2006 .216/.325/.431/.757
    2007 .244/.322/.460/.782
    2008 .182/.282/.383/.666

    MLB average for LF
    2006 .278/.354/.464/.818
    2007 .277/.347/.453/.800
    2008 .269/.344/.442/.786

    MLB average for DH
    2006 .263/.347/.463/.811
    2007 .268/.354/.447/.801
    2008 .255/.338/.433/.771

    He doesn't come out looking as good here, but that's to be expected since the best hitters tend to play LF and DH. That said, other than when he was hurt, he still appears to be a respectable hitter. Is he an All Star caliber player? No, but he's also not abysmal. I'm not a big fan of his OBP either, but it's acceptable given the power he provides.
    You can put the 2006-2008 stats up on the board...but if you do so, I'd say its only fair to put his 2009 line up as well. 2009 is exponentially more important to the 2010 Gomes line than is his 2006 line.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25