Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

There are likely more than just these guys, but they can be found every year. This is a sample of the last 4-5 years and 2 from this year. 3 if you count Gomes.
    Oh yeah, they're just crawling all over major league rosters. Every year, every roster.
    30 teams, 30 guys on minor league deals OPSing around .900. All a GM has to do is get out of bed in the morning.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hamilton is stretching it, as he was a minor leaguer with no downside and little risk.

Nelson Cruz wasn't dealt, nor was he unprotected in the Rule V. Only Redszone and rumor had him available at all.

Carlos Pena played one game in LF. One.

Aubrey Huff makes $3 million. That's not $800,000, nor is it anywhere close.

Kearns is an almost perfect comp.

So, that's two (giving you Hamilton here) over the course of four seasons.

Does it happen? Okay.

Can you find a LF for $800,000 from the scrap heap consistently? Not hardly.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Cruz was DFA'd by the Rangers I believe. Or non-tendered. Can't quite remember. Nobody wanted him. Then he exploded.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Nelson Cruz transaction info from baseballreference.com:

February 17, 1998: Signed by the New York Mets as an amateur free agent.

August 30, 2000: Traded by the New York Mets to the Oakland Athletics for Jorge Velandia.

December 16, 2004: Traded by the Oakland Athletics with Justin Lehr to the Milwaukee Brewers for Keith Ginter.

July 28, 2006: Traded by the Milwaukee Brewers with Carlos Lee to the Texas Rangers for Julian Cordero (minors), Francisco Cordero, Kevin Mench and Laynce Nix.
    And this note from wikipedia:

Cruz failed to make the major league roster prior to the 2008 season and cleared waivers after being DFA'd because he had exhausted his minor league options. Cruz's contract was purchased from Triple-A Oklahoma by the Rangers on August 25, 2008, after batting .342 with 37 home runs and 99 RBIs; for his efforts, he won the 2008 PCL MVP award.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-14-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    "Found Guys" at low cost.

Josh Hamilton was one.

Nelson Cruz could have been had by any team at one point.

Carlos Pena: See Nelson Cruz.

The Marlins signed Cantu for $500,000 at the end of 2007.

Aubrey Huff is making 3 mil. Sure, that's more than $800,000, but well under what he's producing.

Austin Kearns is making $750,000 and is equaling Gomes in offensive production. I bet his defense is a little better.

There are likely more than just these guys, but they can be found every year. This is a sample of the last 4-5 years and 2 from this year. 3 if you count Gomes.

Josh Hamilton cost edison Volquez I wouldn't call that cheap. But overall I'd say there's one, maybe two a yr you can find like Gomes

Russell Branyan. 1.4 mil from Seattle last year. Monster year.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Josh Hamilton cost edison Volquez I wouldn't call that cheap. But overall I'd say there's one, maybe two a yr you can find like Gomes
    Josh Hamilton cost the Reds $500K
    Suck it up cupcake.

A monster yr is a little much. Seattle had very little interest in bringing him back. I'm not sure that he got any offers other than Cleveland. Obviously his yr was not real impressive to other teams

Josh Hamilton cost the Reds $500K
    Countless articles have been written about what a longshot it was that Hamilton came back like he did. What's your point?

A monster yr is a little much. Seattle had very little interest in bringing him back. I'm not sure that he got any offers other than Cleveland. Obviously his yr was not real impressive to other teams
    not really the point. He was signed for just over 1 mil, jacked 31 HR's in a division with some big parks, and had an .867 OPS, BEST on his team that year.

That is the point. Doesn't matter what happened after the season. He was signed cheap and provided the most offense for his team.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Countless articles have been written about what a longshot it was that Hamilton came back like he did. What's your point?
    Simple. every year there is a Gomes waiting to be found. Krivsky found his. Walt found his. Bowden found lots of them. It's dumpster diving, and if a GM has the right scouts, and a plan it can work out nicely. Low Risk/High upside. the story of how/why they are available isn't important. recognizing the potential is.

But with pitching, its dicier. Colby Lewis doesn't happen every year.

If you can package Gomes+ for Cliff Lee, you do it 10 times out of 10.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Simple. every year there is a Gomes waiting to be found. Krivsky found his. Walt found his. Bowden found lots of them. It's dumpster diving, and if a GM has the right scouts, and a plan it can work out nicely. Low Risk/High upside. the story of how/why they are available isn't important. recognizing the potential is.

But with pitching, its dicier. Colby Lewis doesn't happen every year.

If you can package Gomes+ for Cliff Lee, you do it 10 times out of 10.
    I agree that there's a Gomes out there every year but that's not many.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It goes without saying that productive guys CAN be found on the cheap. But it's like with the bullpen -- they're out there, but they're mixed in with a bunch of guys just like them who aren't going to be any good. Unless you have a magic formula for picking the right player the first time, a good chunk of the season -- or all of it, for that matter -- can be spent on the "maybe this next guy won't suck" merry-go-round.
    Not all who wander are lost

I don't think there are 30 of him. I bet there is 15-20 POTENTIAL Gomes out there. Danny Dorn is potentially a LH Gomes. WMP is 28 in the Atlantic League and potentially another Gomes. AAA is littered with older guys under 30 with the potential to be Gomes.

Note the word potential there. No one with track records like Gomes can be considered a lock to do anything. Gomes isn't a lock to even finish the season. He's never sniffed 500 AB's before.
    Last edited by TRF; 06-14-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Again, he was paid almost double what Gomes is being paid this season. And he played primarily DH and some 1B. The last time he played LF was 2007.

It happens less than what you think, TRF. Once every couple of years, someone is an extreme free agent bargain in the OF.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Turn Off Ads?