Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

I think something that should figure into the equation is that Wlad is out of options, so if he doesn't make the team, the Reds will most likely lose him.

Now WLad may turn out to be Ruben Mateo, or he could turn into a valuable player. He showed sign in his few weeks with the Reds that he could be a valuable player in the long run.

So the question is, "Does the additional production that Gomes would provide in the short term outweigh the possible future production that Wlad may provide in the long term?"

It's a tough question without a clear cut answer, but my answer would be no. I would rather stick with Wlad and take my chances. His upside is worth the risk, especially considering that Gomes' ceiling really isn't that high.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    With this team, I think Gomes (assuming he signs) should see all ABs vs LHPs and at least 50% of the ABs vs RHPs until he shows that either last year was real or a fallacy.

Don't forget...Dickerson struggled mightily in LF last season and the popular reasoning was that he is a CFer, not a LFer. If that is truly the case, then he really shouldn't be in LF as his defense isn't an asset there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Don't forget...Dickerson struggled mightily in LF last season and the popular reasoning was that he is a CFer, not a LFer. If that is truly the case, then he really shouldn't be in LF as his defense isn't an asset there.
    I think that was all excuse making, to cover for Dickerson's all around poor start. His head was somewhere else, until about June 1. His defense will be just fine in left.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Dickerson has a +4.7 UZR (+13.9 UZR/150) in 434.1 innings in left field. He may have had some problems early on out there, but overall, his defense is just fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I think something that should figure into the equation is that Wlad is out of options, so if he doesn't make the team, the Reds will most likely lose him.

Now WLad may turn out to be Ruben Mateo, or he could turn into a valuable player. He showed sign in his few weeks with the Reds that he could be a valuable player in the long run.

So the question is, "Does the additional production that Gomes would provide in the short term outweigh the possible future production that Wlad may provide in the long term?"

It's a tough question without a clear cut answer, but my answer would be no. I would rather stick with Wlad and take my chances. His upside is worth the risk, especially considering that Gomes' ceiling really isn't that high.
    Nice post, some very tough questions indeed.

I don't pretend to know the answer to any of those questions other than my own opinion, even that is based on nothing more than favoritism and future projections.

Let's hope Walt gets lucky and makes a few wise decisions.

Before we go bashing Mateo, remember what derailed his career was a severely broken leg while with Texas. He was hyped for a reason.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dickerson has a +4.7 UZR (+13.9 UZR/150) in 434.1 innings in left field. He may have had some problems early on out there, but overall, his defense is just fine now.
    Dickerson had a 4.4 UZR in 37 games in LF last year, or a 21.8 UZR/150. 19 of those 37 games were played prior to May 15th.

Something doesn't add up, since we know he was less than spectacular in the early part of the season.

My eyes tell me what the stats tell the me - Dickerson has plus range in left field ( and CF). He had a couple games where he struggled out there early on but overall he was very good in left field. If he played LF for 145 games, I think he'd be at least a +12 defender.

My eyes tell me what the stats tell the me - Dickerson has plus range in left field ( and CF). He had a couple games where he struggled out there early on but overall he was very good in left field. If he played LF for 145 games, I think he'd be at least a +12 defender.
    If the Reds don't get a full time LF bat from the outside, then I'd like to see Dickerson get the lefty platoon spot against righty pitching. He gets on base and covers ground.

A pitcher would be very happy to see Dickerson, Stubbs, and Bruce patroling the outfield. And Dickerson has OBP skills, sorely needed.

But it should be a strict platoon. Dickerson should rarely face lefty pitching, even if it requires mid-game switching.

It has always been weird for me to watch Dickerson go against LHP. He always looks so uncomfortable and often seems way over-matched, but he somehow gets decent results.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It has always been weird for me to watch Dickerson go against LHP. He always looks so uncomfortable and often seems way over-matched, but he somehow gets decent results.
    I believe that platoons should be strictly enforced except in blowout games. If a lefty reliever comes in during the sixth inning with men on base to face Dickerson, I don't want his decent results I want a Gomes or better facing that lefty.

Too often managers trying to conserve players allow platoon players to continue against same handed pitching in competitive games. A platoon player should platoon, even mid-game IMO.

It's tougher with a five-man bench, but the Reds do have a secret weapon -- Micah Owings. He's an extra bat for depth.

But against righties, I'm with Dickerson until the Reds find a full-time LF.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-05-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    .243/.326/.297 vs lefties in 2009. Not sure if that would reach decent on the charts.

.243/.326/.297 vs lefties in 2009. Not sure if that would reach decent on the charts.
    Kind of reminds me of Jay Bruce against LH pitching.

Jay Bruce
    2009 vs. Left .210 .313 .330 .643
    2008 vs. Left .190 .263 .299 .562
    237 AB 09/08

Chris Dickerson
    2009 vs. Left .243 .326 .297 .623
    2008 vs. Left .286 .423 .429 .852
    58 AB 09/08
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 02-05-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Kind of reminds me of Jay Bruce against LH pitching.

Jay Bruce
    2009 vs. Left .210 .313 .330 .643
    2008 vs. Left .190 .263 .299 .562
    237 AB 09/08

Chris Dickerson
    2009 vs. Left .243 .326 .297 .623
    2008 vs. Left .286 .423 .429 .852
    58 AB 09/08
    Minor leagues:

Jay Bruce - .290/.352/.522 - .874 OPS, 314 AB

Chris Dickerson - .223/.328/.319 - .647 OPS, 458 AB

Jay Bruce could hit lefties in the minors and I think he'll eventually hit them in the majors.

Minor leagues:

Jay Bruce - .290/.352/.522 - .874 OPS, 314 AB

Chris Dickerson - .223/.328/.319 - .647 OPS, 458 AB

Jay Bruce could hit lefties in the minors and I think he'll eventually hit them in the majors.
    I know he could, his splits in the minors was one of the reasons why other's and I pushed so hard on the message board here to bring him up in 2008. I am not worried about Bruce or Dickerson hitting and fielding, as long as they get consistent playing time, and ignore Dusty's influence!!.

Yet, I am not as optimistic as the rest for Bruce until he shows he can do it playing for Dusty and Hank, against LH pitching.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 02-05-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Turn Off Ads?