Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    .243/.326/.297 vs lefties in 2009. Not sure if that would reach decent on the charts.
    Oops. I should have done more fact-checking. Thank you for pointing that out. A Gomes/Dickerson platoon would be fine with me, but I'm not convinced that Balentien can't put up better overall numbers than both of them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So we have Heisey, Dickerson, Cisco, Wlad, and Gomes all competing in spring to win a piece of the LF job. There had better be plenty of split squad games to get these guys a good sample of AB's to judge them on.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    So we have Heisey, Dickerson, Cisco, Wlad, and Gomes all competing in spring to win a piece of the LF job. There had better be plenty of split squad games to get these guys a good sample of AB's to judge them on.
    Did I miss a Jonny Gomes signing?

Update from Sheldon:

With less than two weeks before the Reds start Spring Training, outfielder Jonny Gomes seemed far from assured of being signed.

Since last week when it was learned the two sides were talking about a Minor League contract, there has been little movement.

"Nothing recently," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said on Friday night. "We may re-evaluate where we're at with our roster and with the number of people we have going [to Spring Training]."

If the Reds do not end up signing Gomes, they will not try to pursue another outfielder as a Plan B.

"We'll either do something with him or stay with what we have until we get to camp and see how it shakes out," Jocketty said. "There's no real deadline. We're playing it by ear. I don't think there's pressure one way or the other to get it done."

There is still a vacancy in left field that will need filling this spring. Chris Dickerson, Laynce Nix, Wladimir Balentien, Chris Heisey and Todd Frazier are among the candidates.

I honestly don't feel there is a need to pursue a plan B. The LF position is already pretty crowded as it is. If Gomes doesn't want to sign a minor league deal lets go to spring with what we have got. More AB's all around for the kids, who I want to see get a legitimate chance in LF.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I honestly don't feel there is a need to pursue a plan B. The LF position is already pretty crowded as it is. If Gomes doesn't want to sign a minor league deal lets go to spring with what we have got. More AB's all around for the kids, who I want to see get a legitimate chance in LF.
    all I know is a week ago Cabrera and Gomes were locks and now jonny has fallen off the map..

listening to xm the other day and they were discussing the Reds lf issue and Jody Mac suggested Pat Burrell coming from the Rays with the Rays picking up almost all of the salary....I don't know what that would take in return but it was interesting. Also it got me thinking about Magglio Ordonez and his crappy Detroit contract and the fact that he seems to have fallen out of favor there. I'm not really advocating either but just curious what some of y'all thought about them or similar guys.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    listening to xm the other day and they were discussing the Reds lf issue and Jody Mac suggested Pat Burrell coming from the Rays with the Rays picking up almost all of the salary....I don't know what that would take in return but it was interesting. Also it got me thinking about Magglio Ordonez and his crappy Detroit contract and the fact that he seems to have fallen out of favor there. I'm not really advocating either but just curious what some of y'all thought about them or similar guys.
    I wanted them to sign Damon because I was intriged by having his ability to find 1st base at the top of the order. I've come around to the point where I'd just as soon see them go with the youth as sign Gomes. Bruce in right; Stubbs, Dickerson, Heisey, Balentein, Franxisco, Frazier & Dorn fight it out in LF & CF. I woouldn't even consider Nix as more than a fill-in ftom Lousville.

Stubbs, Dickerson & Heisey fight it out for CF & leadoff. Dickerson & Heisey, join Balentein, Franciso Frazier and dorn in LF and the 7th spot in the order if they are ub the CF picture. Unless someone steps up in ST and runs away with the position, I give each their fair shots.

I beleive the competition can produce decent numbers at the two positions. If not? I wouldn't bring back Arroyo or Harang in 2011. I think there may be enough for one big acquisition. I use this season's performances to determine if that acquisiton should be and OFer or starting pitcher.

Gomes could sign with the Cleveland Indians.

According to MLBTR.com.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Gomes could sign with the Cleveland Indians.
    Ugh, that would be a punch in the gut. (You guys living in Cincy have no idea about the number of bandwagon Indians fans 'round here who never existed before 1995. Columbus used to be strictly a Reds town in the 70's. I'm on the front lines up here! Ha.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Ugh, that would be a punch in the gut. (You guys living in Cincy have no idea about the number of bandwagon Indians fans 'round here who never existed before 1995. Columbus used to be strictly a Reds town in the 70's. I'm on the front lines up here! Ha.)
    I live in Columbus as well and couldn't agree more.I do however expect it to be more like the 70s then the 90s here this season considering the Indians aren't looking too good and the Reds seem to have a much better chance to be competitive.

For what it's worth I hate the Indians almost as much as I hate the Cubs.Come to think about it the Indians are about the only Ohio sports team that I could care less about.I hope Gomes don't go there.

I know the Indians are "technically" the rival of the Reds, but why does it really feel like there is no rivalry? You never hear people talking about it and even when the two teams play, it doesn't seem like any other teams playing.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I know the Indians are "technically" the rival of the Reds, but why does it really feel like there is no rivalry? You never hear people talking about it and even when the two teams play, it doesn't seem like any other teams playing.
    Different league. If I lived in Columbus, I might hate the Indians, but since we really don't compete against them, except 6 games a year, I don't think much about them. Now talk the Cardinals, Cubs, Pirates, and Dodgers, and I can work up some hate.

Seems to me the Reds haven't had a real rival since they battled the Dodgers back in the old NL West.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Seems to me the Reds haven't had a real rival since they battled the Dodgers back in the old NL West.

For a while we had some real hateful series with the Roger Craig led Giants, but I agree with you. The Reds really don't have a true rival. I really miss having more games against all the NL foes, especially the Dodgers and Giants. But that shows my age.

Turn Off Ads?