Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    For a while we had some real hateful series with the Roger Craig led Giants, but I agree with you. The Reds really don't have a true rival. I really miss having more games against all the NL foes, especially the Dodgers and Giants. But that shows my age.
    I guess we are showing our age here aren't we?

I don't really care who knows my age, I kinda miss those days too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Until recently, the only chance the Reds and Indians had a chance of playing was in Cooper stadium. Growing up in Columbus, I was a fan of the BRM but also pulled for the huge underdog in the Indians. I think most people don't view it as a rivalry or an either or proposition.

If Gomes does not return to the Reds, and for a minor league deal I don't blame him, I am hoping to see him in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    For a while we had some real hateful series with the Roger Craig led Giants, but I agree with you. The Reds really don't have a true rival. I really miss having more games against all the NL foes, especially the Dodgers and Giants. But that shows my age.
    Yep, the unbalanced schedule really sucks, IMO.. It gets monotonous playing the Brewers and Pirates for what seems like 100 games/year and then only seeing teams from the other division 6 (?) times.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Nobody ever complained about the unbalanced schedule in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Seems to me the Reds haven't had a real rival since they battled the Dodgers back in the old NL West.
    Agree. Although the Cubs hatred is pretty rampant...they don't really feel like a rival, simply because the hatred isn't there from the other side. I'd love to see them re-align the divisions again, but I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Seems to me the Reds haven't had a real rival since they battled the Dodgers back in the old NL West.
    My two boys (15, 10) are fairly well known in the area for wearing Reds stuff all of the time...everyone knows they are brothers and my kids. (Small community)

Anyway, my oldest son decided he wanted to buy a Dodgers hat the other day and now wears it (even wore it to a dance the other night with a blue tie). I almost felt like dying. He says he wants to buy all of the MLB hats except the Cards and the Yanks. He hates those two teams and cannot understand why I hate the Dodgers. He even said, "they (Dodgers) aren't our rivals."

My wife who is a Cardinals fan also has commented at how much she hates seeing him wear Dodgers blue. Things certainly have changed.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Nobody ever complained about the unbalanced schedule in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.
    Loved playing the Padres, Giants and Braves so much back in the 70's early 80's didn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The unbalanced schedule makes sense, but not when teamed with interleague play, especially with the number of interleague games. I am in LA and this means that I get to see the Reds once for a three game series, every year.

Unbalanced makes sense with a 3-2 ratio of games vs teams in your division and teams outside, but makes little sense, and is actually unfair, with a 3-1 ratio.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I know the Indians are "technically" the rival of the Reds, but why does it really feel like there is no rivalry? You never hear people talking about it and even when the two teams play, it doesn't seem like any other teams playing.
    You would feel different if you were living in Columbus and had to deal with all the bandwagon Indians fans who never existed before 1995. If you are a diehard Reds fan living in Columbus, you quickly grow to hate the Indians. Columbus is actually closer to Cincinnati than it is to Cleveland (not by much, but a good 20 miles) but a lot of people try and act like this is an Indians town now. But this used to be a Reds town. Oh well, I guess we need to start winning again and all of that will take care of itself.

If Indians fans are giving you grief at this juncture, they are absolute Indians fans as the bandwagon fans ditched the Indians when Thome left and they stopped selling out the stadium.

I think what you are saying is there were more Reds' bandwagon fans in the 70's but the Tribe collected their own in the 90's. Otherwise I think it is split evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    You would feel different if you were living in Columbus and had to deal with all the bandwagon Indians fans who never existed before 1995. If you are a diehard Reds fan living in Columbus, you quickly grow to hate the Indians. Columbus is actually closer to Cincinnati than it is to Cleveland (not by much, but a good 20 miles) but a lot of people try and act like this is an Indians town now. But this used to be a Reds town. Oh well, I guess we need to start winning again and all of that will take care of itself.
    It's possible that many baseball fans in columbus decided to become Indian fans after the 94 strike.While they held harsh feelings toward baseball they probably weren't aware that the Indians existed before the strike and decided not to hold the loss of half a season of baseball and the WS against a team that had nothing to do with any of that nonsense.Then again they're probably just bandwagon fans.

There were always a ton of Indians fans in Columbus - as Ohio State and the city itself attracts many Clevelanders. Decades of losing has the effect of driving many of those fans underground; success brings them back to the surface.

Getting the thread back on track,. here is a somewhat related question:

Reds down 5-3 to Anyteam USA, bottom 8, men on 1st and 2nd, 2 out, pitcher slot coming up.

Does anyone feel confident that they are scoring this inning? How about if the pitcher is a lefty?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Getting the thread back on track,. here is a somewhat related question:

Reds down 5-3 to Anyteam USA, bottom 8, men on 1st and 2nd, 2 out, pitcher slot coming up.

Does anyone feel confident that they are scoring this inning? How about if the pitcher is a lefty?
    If the pitchers slot is Owings then yes.

I'd much rather see the Reds play every team in the NL the same number of times and skip interleague play. For one thing that means a kid gets to see the greatest players in the game more often. Those players aren't necessarily in your own division, even though right now the greatest player in the game probably is in ours. There's nothing that made me a lifelong baseball fan any more than seeing Mays and Clemente as a kid. If those guys were now on teams not in our division, my chance to see them would be very greatly reduced. And watching them on TV is not a substitute.

Turn Off Ads?