Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto - Catcher?

Re: Neftali Soto - Catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Doug, I did not intend to indicate that the hit locations were not reported correctly. Each play is called in (ie: single to left, ground out to short, etc.) at the end of each half inning or inning. But as far as line drives vs. routine fly balls and such, the official scorer told me that it is often not reported with that much detail. Maybe I misunderstood what was being suggested. If you are suggesting that one Single-A player hits more line drives than another guy, I would say that is impossible to know. All we know is the direction the ball was hit and the result of the play.
    I was wondering if this was the case, especially in the lower minors. I figured once you hit AA/AAA the technology and attention to detail might be better. In A-Ball you expect raw players. The stats while important have to be made to mesh with the eyes. Now once a player hits AA, the line blurs, and by AAA it's all but erased. By then, the eyes and the stats should say the same thing.

I don't think this is a hard fast rule, more of a guide. It's why I'd give younger players the benefit of the doubt, and question older players (college guys in the low minors) ability and ceiling. In short, I think Mes can improve, probably more than Coddington can. It's also why i never liked a certain CF's offensive game.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

From John Fay:

While we’re waiting. . . Soto to catch
    Posted by jfay April 2nd, 2010, 5:12 pm

I was killing time on the backfields while I wait to meet with Dusty Baker, so I followed up an email from reader Andrew and asked farm director Terry Reynolds about moving Neftali Soto to catcher.

They’ve decided to do it on a limited basis.

“He’ll catch two and play first or third the other days,” Reynolds said. “He caught in Instructional League and took to it.”
    He also says Soto will begin the season in High-A Lynchburg.

read the rest here:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...soto-to-catch/

Senor Votto

So would Soto be the best catching prospect in the Red's farm system?

Catcher used to be a weak area for the REDS. It's not anymore.

Ryan Hanigan has proved that his Minor League OBP numbers are matched by his Major League numbers, while Hernandez is a solid veteran who hits in the clutch and matches well with Hanigan. For 2011, we have a couple of prospects who look like they can match up well with Hanigan, while we wait for 2012 and Devin Mesoraco to arrive. The possibility of Soto playing some Catcher just adds to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Much lower than Mes, IMO. Mes actually had a pretty darn good peripheral year at the plate and his defense has improved dramatically. The kid was an early 1st round pick and everybody wants to judge him way too early, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Until we get some reports on his defense, there just is no way you can say that he is ahead of Mesoraco.

Senor Votto

Do you guys think theyll increase his workload as catcher as the year goes on?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Do you guys think theyll increase his workload as catcher as the year goes on?
    That is what I am most interested in seeing.... what happens to Soto's catcher workload when Mesoraco gets promoted? I figure Coddington will get promoted at the same time, but will Soto catch a little more with Coddington there than Mesoraco there?

ill be out of town this weeked but im going to the april 14th game in lynchburg and i might end up going to the entire series april 13th - 15th so hopefully soto will be catchin one of those games. either way ill have some pics and hopefully some videos to share

Sounds like they have a great program worked out for him. I'll be watching closely.

That is what I am most interested in seeing.... what happens to Soto's catcher workload when Mesoraco gets promoted? I figure Coddington will get promoted at the same time, but will Soto catch a little more with Coddington there than Mesoraco there?
    I don't buy that it's a given Mesoraco will be promoted.

The jump to high A from nowhere as a catcher is huge. Big challenge for Soto.

I have heard the comment "he will catch two days a week" when referring to a converted player too many times over the years to believe it without seeing it first. Lets see how it goes first. After the third week, lets see where this one stands.

I have heard the comment "he will catch two days a week" when referring to a converted player too many times over the years to believe it without seeing it first. Lets see how it goes first. After the third week, lets see where this one stands.
    Exactly. This is an experiment, nothing more at this point.

If he develops to the point where he can give you decent major league-level receiiving, then he might give you a stronger bat (assuming it bounces back to pre-FSL form) at a position where offense is lacking.

At worst, he improves his versatility and value as a utility player - a direction his career path seems to be heading at this point.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-04-2010 at 01:39 PM.

From a Baseball America chat:

Kyle (Oxford): What are your thoughts on Neftali Soto's partial transition to catcher? Does it improve his prospect status much if he can stick?

J.J. Cooper: It definitely improves his chances if he can become a legit catcher. Soto's biggest concerns before the move were that he would become too slow and lack the agility to stick at third base. If that meant a move to the outfield it would have meant moving to a position where his bat is going to be average at best. If he can handle catching, which does seem to suit some of his strengths (strong arm, sturdy frame) his bat should make him an interesting prospect. But we're a long way from being able to say that he can stick at catcher long term, right now he's shown that he is willing to work at the position.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...10/269795.html

Turn Off Ads?