Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto - Catcher?

Re: Neftali Soto - Catcher?

Neftali Soto is in Arizona now and was seen doing drills in the catchers gear.
    So how do you think the Reds are going to handle this? Will they put him behind the plate on opening day and let him learn on the fly or what?

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Soto is indeed going to catch, will he do so in High A or possibly AA?

And, for the record, I think he'll start catching from the beginning.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't have a clue how the Reds are going to handle the situation. It will most certainly be interesting to see if they let him catch, and if so, where they send him to start the year.

I would start him in Dayton. His bat should be advanced for that level, but he needs to learn the position somewhere. Plus, he didn't exactly light it up in High-A last year.

Let Coddington and Mesoraco battle it out in Lynchburg. Hopefully Mesoraco can work his way to Carolina by June. At that time you can reevaluate whether to move Soto back up to Lynchburg.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would start him in Dayton. His bat should be advanced for that level, but he needs to learn the position somewhere. Plus, he didn't exactly light it up in High-A last year.

Let Coddington and Mesoraco battle it out in Lynchburg. Hopefully Mesoraco can work his way to Carolina by June. At that time you can reevaluate whether to move Soto back up to Lynchburg.
    I could get behind this idea pretty easily.

are there any other potential guys who could move to catcher beside Alonso, I dont think thatll happen?

Dayton does seem the best fit if the Reds are serious about this. His bat was just fine in Low A and because of learning a new position, it won't feel like a demotion. Considering there is NO major bat at the C position, this makes almost too much sense.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Dayton does seem the best fit if the Reds are serious about this. His bat was just fine in Low A and because of learning a new position, it won't feel like a demotion. Considering there is NO major bat at the C position, this makes almost too much sense.
    I guess that brings up the question of what do you do with Fleury? Split time with the two of them? One DH's and one catches each night?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I guess that brings up the question of what do you do with Fleury? Split time with the two of them? One DH's and one catches each night?
    Don't know much about Fleury, but I think the Reds see Soto's bat translating to the major leagues eventually, maybe even becoming a plus bat. If they believe after ST, that he might be the future behind the plate, you have to be aggressive, yet careful with him. No other positions, no 3B. DH is ok, just to give him a break, but keep his swing consistent.

This tells us a couple things about the Reds:

1. They question Soto's approach offensively, but think he can be good enough at a position that doesn't require as much pop. Perhaps plate discipline will be focused upon after all?

2. They really believe in the rest of their prospects and their young outfield. Bruce will be there. So will Stubbs, seemingly. The combination of Heisey, Dickerson, and Balentien, it seems, is going to be good enough for Jocketty and company in LF.

3. They aren't afraid to think outside the box. Soto is a good prospect; his future was pretty bright. That Jocketty and company were willing to gamble with his future says something.

I don't think it tells us anything about #1 at all.

1. I don't think they question his potential offensively. He will hit.

2. Soto is too slow to play the outfield.

3. I agree that he is a good prospect. I am not as bothered by last season's offensive numbers as some. I don't think they would describe it as gambling with his future. They are just looking for the position that he will fit best. There have been some concerns about Soto's range at third, which is a crowded position to begin with in this org. You could try him at first base. Soto has a strong arm. If he could handle a move to catcher, better yet. Not sure if I am a believer in that scenario.

Soto is slow and only getting slower. If he can't stick at catcher, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved to 1B.

change #1 to they have doubts about his defense. I don't think they question his bat at all. He did get roughed up at High A, so IF they move him to C, a return to Low A where he hit very well is IMO a good thing. Also, looking at the numbers, he was a little on the unlucky side at Sarasota. He turns 21 this month, so a position switch like this won't push him back too far. If he proves adept, I can see a MLB debut by 25.
    Last edited by TRF; 02-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Soto at this point appears to have a brighter future and needs the work behind the plate. I do the same thing in Dayton with Soto and Fleury that I'd do in Lynchburg with Mesoraco and Coddington:

Soto and Mes catch five days a week and DH the other two.
    Fleury and Coddington, who are seemingly more refined behind the plate but have lower upsides overall as prospects, DH five nights a week and catch the other two.

Continue with this until someone forces the issue of a promotion, position switch, benching, or otherwise.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?