Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto - Catcher?

Re: Neftali Soto - Catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From a Baseball America chat:

Kyle (Oxford): What are your thoughts on Neftali Soto's partial transition to catcher? Does it improve his prospect status much if he can stick?

J.J. Cooper: It definitely improves his chances if he can become a legit catcher. Soto's biggest concerns before the move were that he would become too slow and lack the agility to stick at third base. If that meant a move to the outfield it would have meant moving to a position where his bat is going to be average at best. If he can handle catching, which does seem to suit some of his strengths (strong arm, sturdy frame) his bat should make him an interesting prospect. But we're a long way from being able to say that he can stick at catcher long term, right now he's shown that he is willing to work at the position.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...10/269795.html
    The conversion from infielder to catcher worked for another Soto in the NL Central. Let's just hope Neftali stays off the grass.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Johnny (NYC)

Speaking of guys sticking...Neftali Soto at catcher? Pipe dream?
    Jim Callis
    (2:49 PM)

Might work out. He's got enough arm and moves well enough.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

So physical tools aside, how long would it take for Soto to develop good game calling skills and the other necessary intangibles necessary to be a good catcher?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    So physical tools aside, how long would it take for Soto to develop good game calling skills and the other necessary intangibles necessary to be a good catcher?
    2-3 years is probably a good bet.

From Jamie Ramsey's blog:

"We are always looking for catching and (Neftali) Soto showed the mental aptitude, desire and physical tools to try it. So far the results have been positive and he has been very natural back there. Having Pat Kelly with him on a daily basis is also a plus." - Terry Reynolds, Reds senior director of player development & global scouting (Better Off Red)

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2...ort-42610.html

My only concern about Soto at Catcher is he is taking away ABs from Mez. I assume Mez will get moved up soon though.

My concern is he isn't hitting. at all. Converting him to C was a good idea, but if he doesn't hit, he isn't interesting anymore. His bat has all but disappeared.

Mes has 50 AB's, 6th on the team. Soto isn't taking AB's from him at all.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Soto will hit. I think. If he sticks at C all year, I'm willing to give him a pass on the year offensively, as I'm assuming he's spending most of his off-time working on the finer aspects of donning the tools of ignorance.

The hitting can come later. (And, with his bat speed, it should.)

Ill worry about his hitting if its gone all this year and the start of next. I'm willing to give him a complete year worth of bad stats.

His hitting was disappearing last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I know this but I'm willing to give him this year.

Factor in that it was the Florida State League.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Factor in that it was the Florida State League.
    I did, but it was an almost .200 point drop in his OPS. That's more than the FSL. That's him not adjusting to fix the weaknesses in his game. I like his power potential, but potential is a dirty word. He needs to hit.

I did, but it was an almost .200 point drop in his OPS. That's more than the FSL. That's him not adjusting to fix the weaknesses in his game. I like his power potential, but potential is a dirty word. He needs to hit.
    Last year he was 20. Now he's 21 and trying to be a catcher. I suggest continued patience with the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Last year he was 20. Now he's 21 and trying to be a catcher. I suggest continued patience with the bat.
    I'm not writing him off. I'm saying if he doesn't at least show flashes he stops being interesting as a prospect. Especially when you consider that Mes is playing well defensively AND hitting.

Turn Off Ads?