Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who is the ONE player the 2010 season is most depending on?

Re: Who is the ONE player the 2010 season is most depending on?

Jay Bruce. It probably isn't fair for a 23 year-old to have such weight on his shoulders, but it is what it is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    I don't care much for Dusty, but that was just a retarded post.

Cabrera IS the two hitter we need, and Dusty would be an idiot NOT to hit hit there.
    retarded post? i guess just as retarded as batting corey patterson and taveras in the lead off spot...good ol' dusty. oh wait...its not his fault...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    retarded post? i guess just as retarded as batting corey patterson and taveras in the lead off spot...good ol' dusty. oh wait...its not his fault...
    Why bring up the Flops from the past two seasons? Do you expect Cabrera to be likewise? (Just asking).....

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Why bring up the Flops from the past two seasons? Do you expect Cabrera to be likewise? (Just asking).....
    i just dont see how one can call my lineup suggestion retarded, when dusty has yet to prove he can fill out a lineup card correctly. we can agree to disagree on if cabrera should be in the 2 hole, but to call my post retarded? i can only gather that the poster must like how dusty fills the lineup cards.
    Last edited by FlyerFanatic; 02-06-2010 at 11:59 PM.

I agree with the names mentioned, but I'll also add Ryan Hanigan/Ramon Hernandez. We need a year of above average production out of the catcher spot for once, and with the young arms on this staff, consistent veteran leadership is needed to get these guys through jams.

I gotta go with Arroyo / Harang. If one of these guys has a bounce back year, the Reds will be in the playoff hunt until the end.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Slawski View Post
    Possibly a choice that few would make, and not based upon offensive prowess or defensive skill, but I'm choosing Ramon Hernandez.

The Reds have a pitching lineup that could potentially set them apart from many teams in the Central division, have worked hard on improving defense, and may still find it hard to put bat to balls on some days and nights.

We do have a couple of vets in Harang and Arroyo manning the mound, but having Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, and the other young pitchers that round out the rotation (including possibly Chapman) grow and develop, may be one of the keys to the success of this team in 2010.

If Hernandez (and Hannigan) can bring something positive to the mental side of the game, to picking up situational observations and opportunities, to communicating effectively with the pitching staff during the flow of games, they could potentially take what is already perceived as a strength of this team, and make it even better.

I'd love to see Jay Bruce pick up his offense, Stubbs and Dickerson show they are solid MLB'ers, Rolen and Cabrera provide leadership by example, and Votto continue to mature into one of the better players in the game.

I hope Hannigan has been working hard on learning Spanish during the off season. That communication between pitcher and catcher may be one little thing that could make the biggest difference for the Reds in the coming season.

Not to be an azz, but why wouldnt we hope the others have worked on learning English this off season then?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    No kidding. Can the REDS really ever have a chance as long as Dusty's managing?
    Dusty, my fellow Reds fans, was a proven commodity when he was hired. He has been named manager of the year before and has guided his teams to the playoffs. He has been a solid manager before and I think he continues to be a solid manager.

I think we have been losing because we have not had the talent. It is not the manager's fault that the players are not capable of playing as well as the competition. Would the Red's fortunes been different if Willy was not the leadoff hitter last year? No. Would the Reds have been World Series ready if they had not had Corey in CF two years ago? No. In order to win, the players must play better than the other team. Our players have not been able to do so since Dusty has been at the helm.

I think this could be the first year where we are equal to the task as far as having players who can honestly compete. Let's see if Dusty can now deliver the solid managing skills he displayed as a successful manager before he arrived in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    Dusty, my fellow Reds fans, was a proven commodity when he was hired. He has been named manager of the year before and has guided his teams to the playoffs. He has been a solid manager before and I think he continues to be a solid manager.

I think we have been losing because we have not had the talent. It is not the manager's fault that the players are not capable of playing as well as the competition. Would the Red's fortunes been different if Willy was not the leadoff hitter last year? No. Would the Reds have been World Series ready if they had not had Corey in CF two years ago? No. In order to win, the players must play better than the other team. Our players have not been able to do so since Dusty has been at the helm.

I think this could be the first year where we are equal to the task as far as having players who can honestly compete. Let's see if Dusty can now deliver the solid managing skills he displayed as a successful manager before he arrived in Cincy.
    i think theres no question the talent level needed to be upgraded. but how can one be okay with patterson and taveras being the lead off guys the past 2 yrs? it just hamstrung the entire lineup when your leadoff guy could NEVER get on. clearly its not the total problem, but it sure doesnt help seeing their numbers pop up on the screen and some of the stats you would hear about as they sucked. then to see dusty be so stubborn and not mix the lineup up and move them down is just ludicrous. basically, he wasnt utilizing the lineup the best way he could with the players he had.

the manager of the year stuff doesnt hold weight imo, if the team is good enough and has one of the best hitters in the game on it, not going to be hard to win that award. look at what dusty did when he got to chicago, no he didnt ruin prior and wood's arms, his first year he won the central, then every year on out proceeded to do worse and worse.

Chris Burke for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    i just dont see how one can call my lineup suggestion retarded, when dusty has yet to prove he can fill out a lineup card correctly. we can agree to disagree on if cabrera should be in the 2 hole, but to call my post retarded? i can only gather that the poster must like how dusty fills the lineup cards.
    I don't give a rat's a** about your purported line-up, and the "retarded" retorts, brought by other(s) on this or any other site. I simply asked, do you think Cabrera was going to be a Patterson/Taveras-like flop?

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I don't give a rat's a** about your purported line-up, and the "retarded" retorts, brought by other(s) on this or any other site. I simply asked, do you think Cabrera was going to be a Patterson/Taveras-like flop?
    nope, i dont. doesnt mean i wanna see him at the 2 spot...

dusty supporter i take it?

Turn Off Ads?