Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the ONE player the 2010 season is most depending on?

Re: Who is the ONE player the 2010 season is most depending on?

For the offense, votes go to Bruce, Stubbs and the left field platoon

For the pitching, votes go to Harang, Bailey or Cueto. But Chapman may surprise everyone and become the most valuable piece.

Of these choices, Bruce is the obvious answer. He's capable of the biggest delta in my mind. A year like we all think he's capable of would mean a huge difference to the offense.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Maybe I'm just too much of a homer, but I think that Bruce is going to come through. I see that as expected. I also am banking on Stubbs being able to do over the long range what he did at the end of the season. I'm not so worried about LF- with the rest of the line-up being solid, I think we can run out a player who can put up enough numbers and defense to keep everything together.
    That's why I focus on Harang. I think if he returns to the form of three and four years ago we have as solid a starting five as we have had in many years and there is hope of even brighter days to come with Chapman making his way to the majors and Volquez coming back from injury.

I agree with most of the answers here. In order for us to contend were gonna need all of our guys with potential to play up to that potential.

I think Johnny Cueto is very important for this season. If he pitches like he pitched at the beginning of last year we will have a very tough pitching staff. The key is having him keep that up for the whole year.
    Last edited by Chris Sabowned; 02-04-2010 at 01:24 PM.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Really good topic. I think it's Bruce. If he can start to live up to the potential he has, he instantly energizes our offense. We are a different team is Bruce can hit around .280 with 30 homers.

I think its Homer Bailey. I have a pretty good feel for what we're getting from most of the other guys mentioned. I don't see the middle ground with homer. He could be our ace from day 1, or he could pitch his way out of the rotation.

That is obviously an extreme difference and a difference that may be worth ~ 5 wins to the Reds.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I can't pick one.

Harang needs to bounce back.
    Arroyo and Bailey need to pitch well like the did the second half of last season.
    Cueto needs to be well rested at the start of the season and hopefully not tire again.
    Bruce needs to live up to expectations.

It is definitely tough to pinpoint on one...Harang easily pops to mind.
    However, Bruce needs to continue his maturation.
    Bailey has to prove he can do it for an entire year consistently.
    Scott Rolen has to stay healthy.
    Stubbs has to prove he belongs and last year was not a fluke.

I scanned the replies very quickly...so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but honorable mention needs to go to Edinson Volquez. If he can come back for a decent chunk of this year and make the rotation better the Reds are more likely to be competitive going into August/September.

Jay Bruce is the one player.

He needs to take a huge step forward.

I think Rolen and Bruce both mean a lot to the lineup.

They'll probably be batting 5-6, so if Rolen does well and gets on base, there would be a runner on for Bruce, who also needs to hit well.

I agree with others that Harang needs to bounce back, but I fear that he's done.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I agree with Bruce/Bailey.

It'd be nice to see Rolen or Phillips hit 6th behind Bruce, I think it would really help; but most likely Bruce is going to have to hit being protected by Ramon Hernandez or Chris Dickerson or Johnny Gomes or Ryan Hanigan. Not good.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Possibly a choice that few would make, and not based upon offensive prowess or defensive skill, but I'm choosing Ramon Hernandez.

The Reds have a pitching lineup that could potentially set them apart from many teams in the Central division, have worked hard on improving defense, and may still find it hard to put bat to balls on some days and nights.

We do have a couple of vets in Harang and Arroyo manning the mound, but having Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, and the other young pitchers that round out the rotation (including possibly Chapman) grow and develop, may be one of the keys to the success of this team in 2010.

If Hernandez (and Hannigan) can bring something positive to the mental side of the game, to picking up situational observations and opportunities, to communicating effectively with the pitching staff during the flow of games, they could potentially take what is already perceived as a strength of this team, and make it even better.

I'd love to see Jay Bruce pick up his offense, Stubbs and Dickerson show they are solid MLB'ers, Rolen and Cabrera provide leadership by example, and Votto continue to mature into one of the better players in the game.

I hope Hannigan has been working hard on learning Spanish during the off season. That communication between pitcher and catcher may be one little thing that could make the biggest difference for the Reds in the coming season.

Great question (would be interesting to revisit mid-season).

I believe the two biggest contributors to the Reds looking so much better down the stretch were Bailey on the mound and Rolen at the corner but more importantly in the clubhouse. If both perform like Aug/Sep 09 I am optimistic for the season.

I gotta say Votto. Bruce's name is flying around, but honestly if Jay Bruce hit .240 with 20 HRs and 70 RBIs we would be disappointed by I don't think it kills our season. If Votto puts up those numbers, I think we're done.
    ----------
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs." - David Daye

Votto

If he has a horrible season then the Reds do too
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 02-05-2010 at 02:57 PM.

bruce for sure. is it me or did last season, as the year went on, bruce became very impatient at the plate, hacking at pitches patterson/taveras would only swing at? damn dusty getting in his head.

Turn Off Ads?