Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the ONE player the 2010 season is most depending on?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Who is the ONE player the 2010 season is most depending on?

Okay, I'm going to use this topic for tonight's radio show.

Now is your chance to sound off.

The question is: Which ONE Reds player is the 2010's season success depending on the most, and why?

Looking forward to seeing everyone's answers.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is the ONE player the 2010 season is most depending on?

Jay Bruce or Aaron Harang.

A scintillating Jay Bruce envigorates the offense.

I think the starting rotation is teetering. A healthy and effective Aaron Harang puts it in the above average category.

But since we have to limit it to one player. Jay Bruce. If he plays up to his capabilities I think 85 wins is not out of the question.

I think it has to be the LF platoon. If someone can have a breakout year in LF, then this team is a solid Starting Lineup and can get things moving toward a run at the playoffs. If we can't find a LF out of what we have, then it is either wait till next year for a run, or spend more money on a Free Agent LF mid season. Either way, if a LF doesn't seperate himself from the rest of the pack, this will be a black eye on the franchise for many years to come from a talent standpoint, or a money standpoint.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

I am going to go with Homer Bailey. If he pitches great like he did at the end up last season we have another strong weapon in our rotation and we can deal with Harang having a 4.75 e.r.a and basically being our 4th starter. If Bailey struggles like we have seen him do also, we have 2 holes to fill in our rotation, and things could get messy.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Drew Stubbs. Not to put pressure on the young man but it is imperative that he have success at the lead-off position for this team. Basically be everything that Taveras wasn't last year.

Tough question. I agree with dave that it's Harang or Bruce. I think it's gotta be Harang though. If he can return to that consistent solidness, he's the anchor of the rotation. If he's on his game, I feel like the rest of the rotation falls into place.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Jay Bruce can make or break the offense. He has all the potential in the world. Hopefully this year is the year that he breaks out and starts hammering like the superstar he has been predicted to be! What a great complement to Joey Votto.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

I'd go with Harang. If he is solid, then I think we have a good rotation. If he continues to struggle, then this season of promise could implode quickly. I think he still has something in the tank and he seems like he wants to get back on the top of his game, so I think he has what it takes to return to the Cy Young finalist of three years ago.

Harang.

The Reds pitching last year was average to slightly above the NL league average without anyone on the starting rotation having a fantastic season to skew the results. On the flip side hitting was abysmal by nearly every measure.

To me that indicates the most likely source for improvement by the Reds would be an improved offense which would make the most pivotal player the one with the with greatest potential for improvement - Jay Bruce.

Jay Bruce....if he can trim the strikeouts and find some consistency, the Reds 3-6 in the order could be very effective.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    Jay Bruce....if he can trim the strikeouts and find some consistency, the Reds 3-6 in the order could be very effective.
    Agreed. Same answer from me.

-Matt

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Scott Rolen. If he can play everyday, light a fire in the bellies of the young players, and be the leader he was brought in to be, we could be very good.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

GREAT discussion so far. I'm going to use some of these better takes for tonight's show.

here's my thoughts on it. Hard to pick one single player. For me it was either Homer Bailey or Jay Bruce.
    http://www.diamondhoggers.com/2010/0...nnati-red.html
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

It has to be Jay Bruce. At this point, we know what we're getting from Rolen, Phillips, Cabrera, and Votto. Bruce still has the most room to grow as an offensive player. If he posts an OPS near .900, this will be a formidable team.

Drew Stubbs and Homer Bailey are obviously the next most important pieces to the puzzle. Stubbs needs to post an OBP in excess of .340, and Bailey needs to cement his position as a mainstay in the Reds' rotation.

Luckily, these milestones seem imminently doable for each of these talented guys. We don't have to pray and wait for a miracle in 2010.

Turn Off Ads?