Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training 2010: "I'm in the best shape of my life"

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Spring Training 2010: "I'm in the best shape of my life"

Back to active major leaguers - Cole Hamels

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/84762942.html

Still, listen to Dubee, and Manuel, and Hamels, and you can't help but give credence to their optimism. According to all parties, the now-26-year-old lefty reported to Clearwater in the best pitching shape of his career, the result of a new offseason throwing program designed to avoid the rust that plagued him last spring.

"I definitely feel more comfortable," Hamels said. "I don't think I'm going to have those aches and pains I had through spring training and not being able to start off the year the way I wanted to. I think this is going to be a really good year. With the teammates we have and the acquisition of Roy, it's pretty set up for some high success."
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 02-20-2010 at 02:43 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rockies starter Aaron Cook

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

....Cook is noticeably thinner -- 20 pounds down from the end of last season, to 200.

"I had liposuction," Cook said, jokingly, when asked about his new physique before the Rockies' pitchers and catchers opened their initial 2010 workout.

For the record, Cook's weight loss was a matter of cutting portions, not eating so late and avoiding soft drinks. On Thursday, he turned up a can of soda for the first time in about two months. Yes, he hopes being lighter helps him avoid back pain and take weight off his legs. But he plans to regain five to 10 pounds by the time the season opens in Milwaukee on April 5.

But this is not a story about losing weight. It's about gaining an edge. It's about helping a team add whatever is the difference between making the playoffs two of the past three years and winning a World Series title.

Giants starter Jonathan Sanchez

Jonathan Sanchez is poised to carry more weight this season, literally and figuratively.

Sanchez has always looked as if the next big gust of wind at AT&T Park would propel him to the warning track like a latter-day Stu Miller. But the left-hander is approaching Spring Training with unprecedented heft, having gained a self-proclaimed 12 pounds to boost his weight to 200.

"Slender" still best describes the 6-foot-2 Sanchez's physique. But his transformation is thick with meaning for the Giants, whose pitchers and catchers begin workouts Thursday.

Sanchez's weight gain should help him impart more force on his pitches, particularly his already lively fastball. "It'll have more velocity and it's going to rise more," an upbeat Sanchez said recently.

The diligence he maintained while bulking up reflected a maturity that the Giants had been awaiting from him. Sanchez goaded himself into working out almost daily this offseason. "My light day was Sunday," said Sanchez, 27. "I'd just long-toss and run." Aware that the regular season can sap a player's energy and strength, Sanchez said that he wants to open the season at 205 pounds to fend off physical erosion.

Geovany Soto

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=359652

No matter what the stats say, Soto says he knows he has to put himself in the best possible position to succeed in 2010.

Hence, the weight loss of about 40 pounds over this winter.

On Tuesday, he laughed off speculation the weight loss might have been caused by something sinister. There had been talk on Chicago's airwaves that the weight loss may have been caused by Soto getting off performance-enhancing drugs.

"I laugh at that," he said. "Throughout my whole life, I've had weight problems and stuff, and I've always been kind of immature in terms of diet, and never (would) stick to them. I had such a bad year that I was disappointed in myself, and I was willing to take that step and, 'OK, I'm really going to work hard, and I'm really going to just take it to the next level.'

"To me, it's just kind of ridiculous. I wasn't strong; I was just fat. My whole life. I've had problems my whole life. Not problems, but I just wasn't educated in a way.

"I stick to a program, and it's worked. I'm really happy I did it because I feel a lot better. Now, I'm just worried about going to play baseball instead of my weight and my cardio in the morning. I just have a clear head. Do my work afterwards just like everybody else. I have a lot of energy."

Red Sox Starter Clay Buchholz

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._making_gains/

But the 25-year-righthander did what the Red Sox asked over the winter and was able to add 13 pounds to his slender frame. He reported to spring training yesterday weighing 198 pounds.

For Buchholz, it was the first of what he hopes are many accomplishments this season.

“I weigh as much as I’ve ever weighed and feel good. Still agile and everything,’’ he said. “It took a little bit of work to get there. I think it’s going to be even more work to stay here.’’

His diet included some wedding cake as Buchholz married Lindsay Clubine, one of NBC’s “Deal or No Deal’’ models, in November.

“I’m surprised I gained weight because she had me running around all offseason,’’ Buchholz said. “But it’s definitely been good.’’

Marlins Starter Josh Johnson

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...-josh-johnson/

Johnson, the Marlins’ 6-ft.-7 giant of an ace, said he has lost about five pounds, thanks to an off-season running program that he started earlier than usual this past winter.

“During the off-season sometimes you gain a little weight, you lift (weights), you gain weight and you have to run some of the weight off,” he said. “This off-season I got under my playing weight, what I want to be, so I had to stop running (recently). I was in good shape.”

Lance Berkman

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/page...27&feedID=3803

Another is the weight loss by Lance Berkman. He has made several joking references to many comments by fans about his slimmed-down appearance. It appears to some that he may have dropped 20 to 25 pounds.

On Tuesday, he laughed off speculation the weight loss might have been caused by something sinister. There had been talk on Chicago's airwaves that the weight loss may have been caused by Soto getting off performance-enhancing drugs.
    Is pot a performance enhancing drug?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    "Haven't you heard - it enhances everything man" - Cheech

Aubrey Huff

His weight. The 6-foot-4 Huff looked svelte at a self-proclaimed 218 pounds, 12 fewer than he weighed at the end of last season. Said Huff, "The rumor on me is that I was fat, wasn't I?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    For eating ice cream, yes.

Eric Gagne - who besides being in the beat shape of his life copped to taking HGH in the past - shocker.

Gagne said his body is ready again to perform.
    "I know I've got something left, but I've got to prove myself," he said. "I've got a mountain to climb and I want to do it.I've put myself in a position to succeed. I'm in the best shape of my life mentally and physically."
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 02-21-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Joe Nathan

In addition to rehabbing from the surgery, Nathan also spent the winter getting into what he feels is the best shape of his life.
    Nathan was limited in his workouts right after surgery, but once he got clearance from doctors, he stepped up his conditioning program. He credited the change in large part to working with a new strength and conditioning coach at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Tenn., where Nathan makes his home in the offseason.

Rangers starter Matt Harrison

Ask Rangers pitcher Matt Harrison. He certainly seems motivated in the dietary department.
    "I think I've lost 30 pounds since last year," Harrison said. "This is probably the best shape I've ever been in. I knew coming in I would have to do everything I could to make the ballclub."

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    For eating ice cream, yes.
    And Twinkies.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?