Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Core"

"The Core"

Watching all the talent on this team is gonna be sweet. Unfortunately I can't help but think about the not too distant future. In a few short seasons we will have to start picking and choosing a few select players to build the club around we simply won't be able to keep them all. Looking around the majors most teams keep one bat and one arm and sometimes another player either a #2 starter to back up that ace or another bat to help their big bat beyond that most teams can't afford to keep. I think it's paramount to recognize who those players are early on.

My question to all is who are your 3, one bat, one arm and 1 more complimentary player to form your core? I assume most might be the same but I know there is bound to be some surprises.

Mine:

Joey Votto

Aroldis Chapman

Jay Bruce

My only concern there is can we afford these 3 in particular, I kind of doubt it but I am hopeful.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "The Core"

Well you have to take a leap and a faith at this point, though it should be a bit more clear by the end of this season, and while future decisions on a guy like Volquez will need to be made sooner than others, I think they still have a few more seasons to figure things out.

Bat: Jay Bruce, it assumes he hits like we think/hope he can. I love Votto, but I think its going to be easier to find a solid bat to play 1st than a solid bat that can play defense to the level of Jay in right.

Arm: Homer, right handed power arm that seems to be "putting it together" Chapman is the obvious choice at this point, but I'd like to see him a few times and watch this season progress before I'd make a decision b/w Homer, Cueto & Chapman

Comp: Leake, again taking a leap of faith at this point, but if its truly a complimentary player (#2 type starting pitcher you mention), then I think Leake's projected ceiling fits more into this roll than the projected ceiling of those listed above or Volquez.

The best news, is that there are a ton of options to choose from in the pitching core and hitting core. The bad news, is that so many are unproven or question marks to one extent or another in the majors. However, you've got to figure that the Red's fair share of prospects will pan out like hope, and if they're smart about their scouting and development, they can trade a few of them before they get super expensive to pick up pieces and prospects to take their place.

Cueto, Homer, Volquez, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Maloney (who am I forgetting), how many teams have a collection of young, cheap arms that are that close to the majors or already there with that high of a collective ceiling?

Votto - He's the foundation
    Cueto - The young Dominican
    Heisey - The high upside OF Speed, defense and some pop. no disrespect to Bruce at all.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Bat: Votto
    Arm:Chapman
    Comp: Bruce--though you could just as easily swap him with Votto on my list.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Heisey - The high upside OF Speed, defense and some pop. no disrespect to Bruce at all.
    You really think Heisey is going to have better defense and hitting ability than Jay Bruce?

Votto, Bruce, and Cueto. I like what I've heard about Chapman so far, but I want to see what he does in real games first.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I like Heisey a lot but there's no way on earth I'd take him over Jay Bruce.

Wait until the time comes. The only guy at this point who has proved he will cost a lot it Votto. Big 2010 on the horizon for Cueto.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Wait until the time comes. The only guy at this point who has proved he will cost a lot it Votto. Big 2010 on the horizon for Cueto.
    Alot can and no doubt will happen between now and when that time comes and could very well cause changes in our lists. But no harm to start our individual lists now and tweak it as we go if need be.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Votto
    Chapman
    Bailey
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Jon Nunnally
    Bret Tomko
    Chris Stynes

Was Eduardo Perez or Dmitri Young the 4th guy in that Enquirer photo ca. 1997?

Votto, Bruce, Alonso on the position side; we'll only be able to keep two of three after Votto and Bruce reach free agency.
    Homer, Chapman, Cueto on the pitching side; I'm guessing Homer is the best of the three.

Votto - Best overall player in the Reds system. Equal offensive splits. Hits the ball hard. Can hit for average, power, and find 1b. All around package if you ask me.

Bailey - Ace stuff was shown at the end of last year. Tall, power, RH pitcher. Came into his own last season and has to best stuff.

Bruce - Bruce has had a disappointing MLB career so far. Power is there but plate presence was poor. Great defender in RF and that doesn't slump. I expect him to put it together as he progresses as a major leaguer.

After Bruce the next position player I would choose is Stubbs but guys like Cueto, Chapman and Leake rank ahead of him as of right now.

Bat -- Votto
    Arm -- Chapman (he's already on a long-term deal, so this one's a fait accompli)

Other -- too soon to tell, but if Bruce explodes this year, he'd be the choice.

Bats are safer than arms.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You really think Heisey is going to have better defense and hitting ability than Jay Bruce?
    I think he'll be here longer. And yes, since he's a natural CF, he's likely a bit faster and a bit better defender minus the arm of Bruce.

In an ideal world, Bruce is the logical choice, but I see him pricing himself out of Cincinnati. Heisey could be Mike Cameron.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?