Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Indians really a rival of the Reds?

Are the Indians really a rival of the Reds?

We're taught they are (or I was at least), but it's never seemed to be a heated rivalry and I just don't seem to hate them as much (kind of like the Cardinals/Royals rivalry).

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Are the Indians really a rival of the Reds?

Browns? Yes.

Indians? No.

It is permissable to root for the Indians

Back in the day..... all AL teams were a rival.. even the Brewers.

Period... AL and NL ball was a different game in the 70's and 80's.

It's kinda homogenized currently.

Not really, what's at stake? bragging rights in Columbus?
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

I really do not know why and have trouble understanding it, but I find myself rooting against the Indians. I even find myself (god help me) rooting for the dreaded Yankees to beat them.

Perhaps I am jealous of the other Ohio team. I used to make a weekend roadtrip with a former college roomate to see 3 games at the Jake right after it was built. We even had to buy tickets form scalpers b/c they were always soldout. I did it for about 4 straight years. I still could not like them. My friend was raised in Cleveland and loved them. I didn't root against them outloud then, but inside my head I was hoping they'd get swept.

It might be my love for the Bengals and the hatred I had for the Browns (and Cleveland) from the good ol' Bernie-vs-Boomer days of the 1980's. Back in those days the Tribe stunk and I felt sorry for them.

I really don't know though. I just cannot root for them. I do know that I have to admit to disliking all teams but the REDS. I have never had a 2nd team or rooted for a certain team in the playoffs when the REDS wern't there. I want everyone to lose!

Every inning that goes by where the Indians don't deliver the knock-out punch is an inning closer to the Yankees taking the lead.

Oops. Wrong thread.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I live in central Ohio. Growing up in the 60's, the Indians were constant cellar dwellers and never taken seriously. Then the 90's happened, and all of a sudden there were Indian fans everywhere.

But I follow and root for the Indians.

As far as any rivalry?

I think it's being manufactured because of inter-league play.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Truthfully, I'd rather play the Indians once and the Tigers once every year if Bud is going to coagulate the two leagues.

Maybe all those Kid Glove Exhibition games in the 70's & 80's with the Tigers drew me to those conclusions.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Back in the day..... all AL teams were a rival.. even the Brewers.

Period... AL and NL ball was a different game in the 70's and 80's.

It's kinda homogenized currently.
    Aren't you a Tigers fan?

When I think back to the '70s and '80s, I would always be for the NL in the All Star Game and the World Series, but I wasn't above pulling for the Indians (where I live) and Tigers (Sparky) within the AL. The 1984 World Series was the first time I rooted for the AL Champ in the World Series. The second time was 1995.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Aren't you a Tigers fan?

When I think back to the '70s and '80s, I would always be for the NL in the All Star Game and the World Series, but I wasn't above pulling for the Indians (where I live) and Tigers (Sparky) within the AL. The 1984 World Series was the first time I rooted for the AL Champ in the World Series. The second time was 1995.
    I was a Tiger fan from 1968-1975, in late 1975 I moved to Cincinnati and I never rooted for an AL team again, from 1982-2001 I lived in the Bay Area, dangerously close to the A's... I still followed the Giants and the NL about 50% more, however i did go watch more MLB games in Oakland in that time period then SF, mainly because Candlestick is a dump.

Back in the day, the only time we faced the Indians during the year was during Spring Training and a home and away set of exhibition games during the season for the Kids Glove Game - that was it. It was a non-issue unless the Indians ever got good enough to face the Reds in the World Series. Those were the days.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sorta. I mean Ohioians always have friends that are Indians fans, so in that sort of "You want your friends teams to lose" way - yes they are rivals.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

My high school councilor was a huge Indians fan. We got along quite well - so after I graduated, he began inviting me to see Indians games with him. We probably went to a couple per year from '86 until '90, when I moved upstate to Bowling Green for a while.
    Not only did we see the Indians play a few times, we also went to some of their minor league games when they were playing at Columbus or Indianapolis.
    While the Indians had some bad ball clubs during that time, I did like the young blood I saw there: Tabler, Carter, Swindell, Farrell, Jacobe, The Candy Man, Julio Franco, Snyder, Mel Hall, Doug Jones, Alomar, Baerga, Alex Cole, Nagy and even got to see Albert Belle in the minors. I could tell they were moving in the right direction.
    So, I did start liking them quite a bit - though nowhere near as much as the Reds.

But, is there a rivalry? Nah. Maybe literally a tad bit, but it is not much of one.
    However, I do know the radio station in Piqua carries Indians game - and has done so for a few years. Piqua is much closer to Cincinnati than Cleveland.

The NL Central teams are the main rivals, NL teams next and then the AL teams. Unfortunately, the crazy schemes of an auto salesman have polluted the ways fans think and by accident made the Indians the Reds rivals, because the Reds now play the Indians six times a year, the same as the Dodgers and Mets.

This, of course is crazy, because if the Reds would put together a 162 game season in which they won 80+ games (ok leap of faith no. 1 here), they would be in WC contention and games against NL teams should, therefore, be more important. But winning six against the Indians is just as important--so they become the rivals, due to the silly six games a year.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm wondering whether sharing a ST facility will cool the animosity that these two clubs seem to have had for each other at times during their interleague series. It'll be harder to get mad at a dugout full of guys across the diamond whom you were out clubbing with most nights in the month of March.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?