Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training 2010: "I'm in the best shape of my life"

Re: Spring Training 2010: "I'm in the best shape of my life"

I think Bill Simmons had a column about all the ST cliches you hear a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Blue Jays Starter Ricky Romero (I guess we can now call him their ace?)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...omero-ace-test

The open spot at the top of Toronto's rotation is tough to fill and Romero knows it. Halladay anchored the pitching staff for eight seasons, finishing last year 17-10 with a 2.78 ERA., but he took his all-star stats and team leader status to the Phillies in a December trade.

Halladay's departure leaves Romero, who went 13-9 as a rookie, as the most experienced healthy starting pitcher on the roster, and the 25-year-old is tackling the new challenge the way Halladay would.

By training like a maniac.

In addition to his throwing sessions, Romero worked out at Athletes' Performance in suburban Carson, Calif., putting in two-hour sessions four days a week, and fine-tuning for the grind that begins with spring training in two weeks.

"I feel I'm ready to tackle a 200-plus inning season," said Romero, who logged 178 innings last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think Bill Simmons had a column about all the ST cliches you hear a few years ago.
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020219

Good man!
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

http://www.nikkansports.com/baseball...07-593455.html

Google translated headline:
    Matsuzaka perfect body! One-month individual training launched
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Ryan Zimmerman & John Lannan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020404337.html

This winter, a few Nats players truly have stuck to pretty intense conditioning regimens. When Craig Stammen, John Lannan and Zimmerman showed up to NatsFest last weekend, you could tell the difference.

One female fan mentioned to Zimmerman last Friday that he looked to be in terrific shape.

"Do I look better?" the third baseman said, acting surprised.

"I didn't think you could," she said, "but you do."

Zimmerman seemed satisfied with that answer.

"Well played, well played," he said.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 02-10-2010 at 02:14 PM.

The best part about the above article is the author mentions what a cliche it is to talk about guys being in great shape for spring training, then goes on to talk about what great shape guys like Lannan & Zimmerman are in.

Even the managers are getting in the game.

Philadelphia Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has been dealing with significant losses for the past few months.

First it was the Phillies' season-ending loss to the New York Yankees in Game 6 of the World Series in early November.

More than a month later, Manuel lost ace left-hander Cliff Lee after a blockbuster trade for Roy Halladay.

Thursday night, Manuel carried his own personal losing streak into the VIP room at The Crowne Plaza Reading Hotel.

Like the rest, it raised some eyebrows.

"He looks great," said Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro of Manuel.

Manuel has lost close to 60 pounds since this time last year and looks noticeably slimmer since the Phillies were denied their second straight World Series title.

"I think it's great that he made a concerted effort to slim down and I think he feels much better," Amaro said.

"He's putting me to shame. I have to try and keep up with him now."

Manuel's motivation to cut weight began at spring training last year when he tipped the scale at 286 pounds during a physical in Winter Haven, Fla.

That, along with a photo that was taken during the Phillies' on-field celebration after their World Series clinching win over Tampa Bay in 2008, encouraged Manuel to slim down.

"I came out and I had a T-shirt on and they were pouring champagne and beer on me and I noticed how big my gut was," Manuel said.

"These two women wanted to take a picture and develop an 8x10 and they grabbed the picture and said how good it looked. I took a look at it and saw my belly hanging over my belt and I said I got to lose some weight."

Manuel immediately started to cut down on his eating following his physical, but it wasn't until he saw a TV commercial during the first week of spring training that he adopted a totally new diet plan.

"One night I saw Don Shula and Dan Marino on TV doing Nutrisystem commercials and I said that could be for me. I had to try something," Manuel said.
    http://republicanherald.com/sports/l...title-1.580284

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...66Q0atsG9gVjVI
    One week until Fat Tuesday, but Mike Pelfrey won’t be participating.

The Mets pitcher is prepared to arrive in camp next week some 25 pounds lighter than last season and believes that will propel him to new heights after a disappointing 2009.

“I was pretty upset with not only how the team played, but with how I played last year, knowing that’s not me,” Pelfrey told The Post yesterday. “I had a lost year. I had a terrible year.”

The right-hander finished 10-12 with a 5.03 ERA, leaving the Mets to wonder if they have a legitimate No. 2 starter behind Johan Santana.

Pelfrey doesn’t blame his weight for last season’s troubles — he says he got to 257 pounds at one point last summer and will arrive in Port St. Lucie around 230 — but also knows that better shape physically translates into a better mental approach

Will we hear this line first for Austin Kearns or Adam Dunn?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Will we hear this line first for Austin Kearns or Adam Dunn?
    I believe we've heard it from both while they were both with the Reds.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

At this point, the only conclusion I can come to is that writers are aware of the cliche and are participating as a goof.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    At this point, the only conclusion I can come to is that writers are aware of the cliche and are participating as a goof.
    I find most spring training stories pretty mind numbing. We hear all the time about a renewed dedication to fitness, we hear about a player's goal of stealing 100 bases, we hear about a pitcher who put on 15 pounds of muscle, a position player who renewed his dedication to become a more patient hitter. They are great to read because they signify a new baseball season getting ready to start, but quality wise they are pretty void.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I find humor in the fact that we've found so many - yet Pitchers & Catchers don't report for another week. The fun is just beginning.

Power dieting is the new insert <thing that is bad for you but will be ignored until someone is hospitalized for it> here.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?