Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kurkjian makes a case for Damon being a fit on the Reds

Kurkjian makes a case for Damon being a fit on the Reds

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotst...tim&id=4892995

Here's a link to the article. It's an insider article, so not everyone can access it.

His basic argument is that:
    1. Reds need a bat
    2. Reds have a hole in LF
    3. Reds could use a proven leadoff man with good OBP skills
    4. Reds could use Dickerson as late inning defense to cover up Damon's defensive shortcomings
    5. Reds could really use his clubhouse presence as someone who has "been there, done that" on the big stage.
    6. Damon should still be hungry to produce since he is nearing some significant career milestones with the bat.

I've seen all the arguments Damon vs. Dye vs. Gomes vs. youth already in system. They've addressed shortstop issue. Could Damon be a final piece that puts the Reds over the top and into real playoff contention? If it's a 1 year contract for reasonable money, I'd say go for it.
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kurkjian makes a case for Damon being a fit on the Reds

Im all for it.

-Matt

Damon would be wasted on the Reds because he can't win anything with them.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

When I read that article I was shocked that Tim didnt comment that Damon and Arroyo would be reunited from their BoSox days. Doesnt every article on ESPN have to be skewed to either the Yanks and the Sox?

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    Damon would be wasted on the Reds because he can't win anything with them.
    I think the Reds are closer than you obviously think they are. It wouldn't take a lot to make them contenders. Damon would be a huge step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    I think the Reds are closer than you obviously think they are. It wouldn't take a lot to make them contenders. Damon would be a huge step in the right direction.
    I highly disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Im all for it.

-Matt
    Me too
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

He could have an Aurillia effect on this team, consistently churning out singles and doubles all year. I like the idea.

I highly disagree!
    Then, you're clearly overestimating the rest of the division. If the Reds can avoid injuries to key players, with Bailey and Cueto continuing to improve, then why not? Toss in Harang turning it around after two down seasons and Arroyo having a repeat of the last two seasons, and you have four very solid guys in the rotation. Not to mention, a few very good wild cards for the 5th spot; Chapman, Leake, Mahoney, et al. We have pretty decent middle relief and a proven closer. Perhaps Volquez can contribute down the stretch as well. I like where the Reds sit currently.

The Reds will have a big hitting infield at all four spots, and a pretty solid D at those positions as well. We've got a little depth at catcher, and a few more wild cards in the outfield. A Damon acquisition would nix 1/3 of the wild card quotient in the outfield, leaving Stubbs & Bruce as the remaining guys that would need to have decent seasons at the plate. Bruce probably more so, in particular. Defensively, between the latter two, what's not to like?

Are the other Central teams really that strong from an objective standpoint, or do we simply expect to lose every year?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm lukewarm about Damon. If they sign, that's great. If they don't, I won't lose sleep about it.

I just don't think he is what is going to make a difference in this team.

I highly disagree!
    Are you a reds fan? If so, why do so many Reds fans have such a loser mentality. Things have changed. Quit living in the past. Don't you see any difference this year at all? If your not a Reds fan, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm lukewarm about Damon. If they sign, that's great. If they don't, I won't lose sleep about it.

I just don't think he is what is going to make a difference in this team.
    Perhaps not. However, I'd consider Damon in left an improvement over Gomes or all else that's in house, currently. I think Jocketty has done a great job at slowly improving most positions overall. Damon, one might argue, is a slight upgrade (I'd guess, moderate). Nonetheless, he's proven, does several things very well, and gives the Reds a better shot at the division or wild card in 2010.

Damon would be worth a flier, but nothing too expensive. I would love to see Juan Francisco kill it in ST and win the position, but that is just a dream I'm afraid.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think Dickerson will out produce Johnny Damon in 2010 if the Reds would have signed Damon and given him a chance
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I think Dickerson will out produce Johnny Damon in 2010 if the Reds would have signed Damon and given him a chance
    Really?

I disagree with that, Dickerson is still unproven and you dont know what you are going to get, the only liability with Damon is his arm, his bat more than makes up for that, and yes he is a proven leadoff man. Dickerson can spell him sometimes, but I will take the proven commodity and the clubhouse positive and the leadoff bat, and the so called protection in the lineup for other players.
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Turn Off Ads?