Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will have a better career as a STARTING pitcher?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aroldis Chapman

54 43.90%
  • Mike Leake

62 50.41%
  • Zach Stewart

7 5.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which "Top Pitching Prospect" will have the better career?

Which "Top Pitching Prospect" will have the better career?

And who will reach the bigs (as a SP) first?
    Last edited by Benihana; 02-09-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    thorn

Re: Which "Top Pitching Prospect" will have the better career?

I took Leake, seems like someone that has a better chance to stay healthy and could develope into a Maddox type pitcher (Control vs. Power) and have a longer career. I think Chapman could have better seasons, just not a long career, IMO.

Hey, I love whining about losing Stewart as much as the next guy, but he's gone. Why not have Wood in the poll instead?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Hey, I love whining about losing Stewart as much as the next guy, but he's gone. Why not have Wood in the poll instead?
    While I like Travis Wood, I think it is pretty clear that Wood's upside is not as high as these three.

I would vote both Leake and Chapman ahead of Stewart. If the results corroborate that, people will have to ask themselves if they're happy (in hindsight) with the way things worked out. Assuming Rolen can stay healthy for at least 100 games in these next couple years- and that's a big assumption- I can now say that I am (and I hated the trade at the time.)

Would I have made that trade? No way. Am I now relatively pleased with how it shook out? I think so.

Of course, we can revisit this two years from now, and there might be an entirely different picture.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I went with Leake. He has the lowest upside of the three, but he is far and away the safest too. He can already throw multiple pitches for strikes (so can Stewart). He has shown he can throw 140 innings in a season (neither of the other two have).

I'll go Chapman, Leake, and Stewart in that order. And I think very highly of Stewart, I just think Chapman and Leake will be better. I see Chapman as a bondafide number one starter and Leake as a very solid number two starter. Stewart also has the upside of a number two starter, or he could be a dominant back-end bullpen arm, it all depends on where he's needed.

Chapman, Stewart, Leake is the order of how I think they will turn out if they all were to reach their ceilings. But I am the type who goes with the odds and I think Leake has the best odds to have a good solid career.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Chapman has the best stuff and is youngest (something we overlook in its importance). He's also going to pitch for an apparently decent squad for at least the next five years. Because of his contract, even if he stinks, he'll be given every shot to produce. None of this mentions that he's left-handed, and, despite doug's insistence that it means nothing, lefties with plus stuff are rarer and therefore more likely to be struggled against. (And lefties with his stuff are rare indeed-- I can think of none in the majors with his reported FB.)

Leake has a high floor and is likely to be at least decent, but he's small and small pitchers can flame out quickly.

Stewart has had a good minor league season.

Chapman, Stewart, Leake, Wood in that order.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think Stewart will reach the majors first, and I think Leake will have the best career.

Leake. I agree with the view that he has the lowest ceiling, but the highest probability of a long career.

From what I have read about him, Leake seems like a level headed, student of the game who finds ways to win.

1. Leake
    2. Chapman
    3. Wood

Don't think Stewart will see much time as a starter. I think what puts Leake over the top is his athleticism. Chapman is a wild card but has the best pure stuff. Wood I think could be an end of the rotation starter or a change of pace starter.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I went with Leake. He has the lowest upside of the three, but he is far and away the safest too. He can already throw multiple pitches for strikes (so can Stewart). He has shown he can throw 140 innings in a season (neither of the other two have).
    Agreed as I went with Leake also.

Leake...for the reasons Doug mentioned. He's the surest bet of the bunch, even if his ceiling is the lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think Stewart will reach the majors first, and I think Leake will have the best career.
    I agree with that assessment, and voted for Stewart as well. Rumors have it that Toronto is looking to deal some young pitching which could open the door for Stewie to slide in.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?