Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A Little Celebration for my Family

A Little Celebration for my Family

I thought I'd share with folks a celebration our family is having. Today is my folks' 60th wedding anniversary. Our immediate family, about 40 of us, are getting together on Sunday for dinner to celebrate with Mom & Dad. On Sunday, there will be an announcement in the Enquirer with a picture of my then 20 year old folks dancing away, looking like a couple of star struck lovers. And Monday will be Mom's 82nd birthday (she celebrated her 22nd birthday on their honeymoon). Eight kids and 22 grandkids later, the story continues, although they're slowing down a bit. Any way, a good day for us to celebrate.

I told my Mom that Dad looked like he thought he was the luckiest guy in the world and she said, "well, he is!". That's my folks.

And in September, my wife's parents will celebrate their 65th anniversary (knock on wood!) - 125 years of marriage between the two couples. Our 28 years thus far pales just a tiny bit.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Little Celebration for my Family

Wonderful story. Congrats to all of you for these milestones!

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

For a Level Playing Field

That is awesome. Always great to hear a feel good story (not enough of them these days IMO).

Good stuff, redsmetz - congrats to all!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Congratulations to your Mom and Dad, as well as your entire family redmetz.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Congratulations to your folks, Redsmetz. A very nice thing to hear.

If my wife and I make it to 60 years, I'll be 94. Hope the Reds win by then.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Terrific news for your family Redsmetz. Congratulations.
    My wife's parents celebrate their 50th anniversary this year, and yesterday my father-in-law had a defibrillator succesfully implanted, so now it looks as if they may get to celebrate that anniversary.
    Roy, you will be 94 if you make it to a 60th anniversary? Man, that would be old. I'll be a mere kid of 91 on my 60th.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Terrific news for your family Redsmetz. Congratulations.
    My wife's parents celebrate their 50th anniversary this year, and yesterday my father-in-law had a defibrillator succesfully implanted, so now it looks as if they may get to celebrate that anniversary.
    Roy, you will be 94 if you make it to a 60th anniversary? Man, that would be old. I'll be a mere kid of 91 on my 60th.
    Actually my dad had a defbrillator put in just before Christmas after he had problems while taking Mom to her cardiologist following her own mild heart attack. Mom called me to come up to the E.R. to be with him and I told him we did want tag team heart problems. My daughter came down from the doc's office with my mom and I asked them which one was Glorious George.

While dad was in the hospital, we took turns staying with Mom. The night I stayed, I pulled out a box with old photos in them. My Mom had her high school senior portrait, a photo in which she is just stunning. Knowing what teenage angst was like, I asked her if she knew she was that beautiful. She chuckled and said "sometimes" and then told me if guys whistled at her, she knew she was probably looking pretty good that day.

In her high school photo album was a picture of her as a junior that had the same smirky smile my niece makes now (and she's the same age at the moment). I asked Mom which grandkid it reminded her of and she said it right away.

Hope your dad's doing well and he sees that 60th too.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Good for your folks, mine are on #53 this year, my wife and I have been together 24 years ourselves (but not married for the total)

My parents made it to 49 years a month before my dad passed away.

I'll be 97 on my 60th anniversary so when you congratulate me, write it in a really big font so I can read it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Congratulations to the newlyweds. Make sure you post that announcement here if it is online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Terrific stuff, congratulations to all.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

That's pretty special.

That's great RedsMetz! Congrats to your parents! My parents had 61 years together before my dad passed away in 2005. Except for two years my dad was in Europe for WWII and a few weekends of attending the UKIT in Lexington they were together every day of those years. If my wife and I make 60 years I will be 88 then.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?