Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2010 NFL/Bengals Draft

2010 NFL/Bengals Draft

with a Bengals twist. Who will they target? Who should they target? I think it is paramount to get more offensive weapons to Carson Palmer. I'd like to see two WRs and a TE brought in this offseason, either through veteran acquisitions (Marshall, Boldin, G.Olsen, Breaston, Owens- in that order) or via the draft. As such, I'd like to see them go after any of the following:

First Round

1. Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma
    2. Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma
    3. CJ Spiller RB Clemson
    4. Golden Tate WR Notre Dame
    5. Arrelious Benn WR Illinois
    6. Taylor Mays S USC
    7. Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
    8. Carlos Dunlap DE Florida

Second Round

1. Mardy Gilyard WR/KR Cincy
    2. Brandon LaFell WR LSU
    3. Sergio Kindle DE/OLB Texas
    4. Aaron Hernandez TE Florida
    5. Damian Williams WR USC

Third Round or later

Jordan Shipley WR/KR Texas
    Terrence Cody DT Alabama

Has anyone seen Todd McShay or Mel Kiper's latest mock drafts? Who do they have the Bengals taking? Which of the above players are available at that point?
    Last edited by Benihana; 02-11-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 NFL/Bengals Draft

I like your list, but would add Jake Ballard TE Ohio State to your list of third round and later guys. He is an asset in the running game, and was severely under utilized as a pass catcher at Ohio State. Nice size and good hands.

McShay has the Bengals taking Gresham with Mays, Benn and Tate still available.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I'd take Taylor Mays in the first round if available. I agree with StripeHype that it would be a mistake to take a TE or WR in the first round and expect immediate results.

I like the idea of Ballard in the 4th round or later because you'd have your blocking TE and your Receiving TE(Coffman) when you wanted to got to a 2 TE set.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'd take Taylor Mays in the first round if available. I agree with StripeHype that it would be a mistake to take a TE or WR in the first round and expect immediate results.

I like the idea of Ballard in the 4th round or later because you'd have your blocking TE and your Receiving TE(Coffman) when you wanted to got to a 2 TE set.
    Perhaps that's true. Ideally I'd prefer to trade a first round pick for Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin, both of whom are reportedly available. If the price is too high, sign TO.

Trade one of the 3rd round picks for Greg Olsen, who has fallen out of favor in Chicago with Mike Martz not believing in a pass-catching TE (I'm not a believer that you can count on Chase Coffman- guy couldn't get on the field when the top 2 guys at his position went out for the year in training camp, and the two journeymen brought in were dropping passes that were costing the Bengals games.)

Then you would have a 2nd and 3rd round pick to go after a safety and a slot receiver/kickoff returner like Mardy Gilyard or Jordan Shipley.

Can you imagine a Bengals offseason with the addition of a Larry Asante at safety, a Gilyard or a Shipley as a #3 WR/KR, Greg Olsen as a TE and Marshall, Boldin, or TO complementing Chad as your starting wideout? Wow.

It is very doable. The question is if Mike and Marvin have the creativity or foresight to do it.
    Go BLUE!!!

If I were the Bengals GM, I'd go hard after a pass-catching TE and a deep threat WR in free agency, but both cost cash. A bunch of cash. Then, in the draft, I'd also go with a WR, hoping Dez Bryant drops.

I wouldn't be against drafting an offensive lineman in the 1st or 2nd round depending on what they plan to do with the current offensive linemen.

They need a starter at left guard instead of a rotation and right guard has no starter as Bobbie Williams is a free agent and you will eventually need to replace him even if you do re-sign him for this season.

They could already have a left guard on the roster (Whitworth) depending on if they trust Collins to play left tackle.

I say draft Gresham and Gilyard with the first two picks if both are available. Also sign TO. I think we would have a pretty capable offense with all of the weapons Palmer would have.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Some tweets from Adam Schefter:

Bengals also might give chance to former Jaguars WR Matt Jones, who is deciding between offers from Cincinnati and Tennessee.

Filed to ESPN: Adam "Pacman" Jones worked out for the Bengals in Cincinnati today. HC Marvin Lewis always a big believer in 2nd/3rd chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Trade one of the 3rd round picks for Greg Olsen, who has fallen out of favor in Chicago with Mike Martz not believing in a pass-catching TE (I'm not a believer that you can count on Chase Coffman- guy couldn't get on the field when the top 2 guys at his position went out for the year in training camp, and the two journeymen brought in were dropping passes that were costing the Bengals games.)

To be fair you never know how healthy he was all season. In addition the Bengals always put an emphasis on the first TE being a blocking TE. So in effect the worst thing to happen to Coffman's playing time was Kelly going down.

I'd still be just as happy with Olsen though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Would love to see the Bengals move up and steal Dez Bryant, however I don't think that will happen. I think the Bengals draft really will depend on who is falling come draft day as they might get some value at #21. Last year we got some really good value in the first three rounds. I would put my money on Taylor Mays as the pick, seems like a Zimmer guy.

A sleeper TE to keep an eye on: Andrew Quarless from PSU: He has continually improved since he was a freshman and really matured this last season. Good hands, nice speed, and a good blocker, might go as low as round 5 and as high as round 3. Good value pick.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If I were the Bengals GM, I'd go hard after a pass-catching TE and a deep threat WR in free agency, but both cost cash. A bunch of cash. Then, in the draft, I'd also go with a WR, hoping Dez Bryant drops.
    The Bengals need a traditional TE, block first, pass catch second. I think Gresham fits that mode, but I still wonder how high the Bengals are on Coffman. It became pretty evident that this injury hampered him all season long.

The 3 guys I want the Bengals to target in round 1 are Golden Tate, Bulaga, and Taylor Mays. I think Gillyard will be gone by the time the Bengals pick in round 2, especially if he has a good combine. IMO Tate > Gillyard and fills the same role, returner and WR.

With M.Jones in the fold, IF they can still sign T.O., I would look to do the following:

FIRST ROUND
    J.Gresham (TE) or T.Mays (S)

SECOND ROUND
    E.Thomas (S), L.Asante (S), or A.Hernandez (TE)

THIRD ROUND
    J.Ford (WR/KR) or J.Shipley (WR/KR)
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?