Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

  1. #1
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,725

    Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) - An Olympic official with direct knowledge of the situation says a men's luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia has died after a crash during training.

    The official tells The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili's death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger's family hadn't been notified yet.

    Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled near the finish Friday, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Apparently there are some pretty graphic pictures of this one out there. I, for one, am not particularly interested in seeing what someone looks like after they've flown into a steel beam at 90 mph, though.

  4. #3
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,328

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Yes there is. They just showed it on the 6pm news here and it was horrific. Really glad my daughter wasn't looking up at the time. He must've been doing over 60 mph right into a steel pole. *shudders*

    ~edit~ 80+ mph, just said it on NBC opening ceremony show. Sometimes I don't think they even think. They even slowed it down. The first time I saw it was at full speed. Nasty, nasty, nasty.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 02-12-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    330

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Yes there is. They just showed it on the 6pm news here and it was horrific. Really glad my daughter wasn't looking up at the time. He must've been doing over 60 mph right into a steel pole. *shudders*

    ~edit~ 80+ mph, just said it on NBC opening ceremony show. Sometimes I don't think they even think. They even slowed it down. The first time I saw it was at full speed. Nasty, nasty, nasty.
    Well they did warn the audience that it may not be suitable to some viewers
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

    2013 record:
    GABP: 1-1 Wrigley: 2-0

  6. #5
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,328

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by OSUredsFAN View Post
    Well they did warn the audience that it may not be suitable to some viewers
    Oh, I missed that. That's somewhat better. Still not sure they should've shown it at all though.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  7. #6
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Criminal.

  8. #7
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,795

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    I can remember meeting Chuck Yeager about five years ago, when Yeager was 80 years old. He told the group of us a story about how he had recently made a run in either a bobsled or luge (I forget which), adding that the next day during a competition he saw someone beheaded in a crash. I never checked out Yeager's story, but what made an impression on me was how "matter-of-fact" he seemed to be about the event. It may take that kind of personality to make a successful fighter pilot and test pilot.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  9. #8
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,812

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I can remember meeting Chuck Yeager about five years ago, when Yeager was 80 years old. He told the group of us a story about how he had recently made a run in either a bobsled or luge (I forget which), adding that the next day during a competition he saw someone beheaded in a crash. I never checked out Yeager's story, but what made an impression on me was how "matter-of-fact" he seemed to be about the event. It may take that kind of personality to make a successful fighter pilot and test pilot.
    Probably not true. It's been a couple decades since a luger died (several decades since on died in the Olympics), but I don't know about boblsed.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  10. #9
    Just The Big Picture macro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    6,150

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Would it have been too much trouble to enclose the track with netting or pad the steal beams with foam?

    Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

  11. #10
    Member Red Heeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Would it have been too much trouble to enclose the track with netting or pad the steal beams with foam?
    That was my first thought as well. After thinking about it for a bit, there isn't enough padding in the world to make hitting a steel beam at 90 mph less than lethal. Higher banking on the turns would be the only thing that might have prevented the tragedy. Once he left the track, at that speed, anything he hit would have likely been fatal.

  12. #11
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,432

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    He had a helmet and very light padding. I haven't been paying much attention to the incident, but initially, I heard a lot of people blame it on human error. Really? How do you know blame the course? I read that, relatively, the course was much faster than the other ones. I hope everyone moves on from this quickly with the event having as little affect on everyone involved as possible, but it's clear to me that this will need to have a change on future luging events.

  13. #12
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,161

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    He had a helmet and very light padding. I haven't been paying much attention to the incident, but initially, I heard a lot of people blame it on human error. Really? How do you know blame the course? I read that, relatively, the course was much faster than the other ones. I hope everyone moves on from this quickly with the event having as little affect on everyone involved as possible, but it's clear to me that this will need to have a change on future luging events.
    I consider myself a pretty advanced skiier. I can ski pretty much anything, anywhere. Although I don't venture over to the cliffs, don't really want to chance it jumping off rocks. Once a year we venture out to the Vail area to ski and we usually ski a couple of days at Beaver Creek. If you don't know, Beaver Creek host a mens world cup downhill run. I have skiied the run a handful of times after it is deemed ready for the general public. Even at that point it is very icy and if you don't pay complete attention to the hill your likely to end up on you butt. This is just skiing at your own pace, not bombing it down the hill like Olympians.

    I have also skiied the 2002 slalom course at Deer Valley. Spent the majority of the steeper hill sliding down on my back. Talked to a ski patrol guy at the bottom and he said the ice it down ever more for the competition.

    I guess my point is that these guys aren't your average athletes. These guys are the best of the best. They shouldn't be on the course if they aren't qualified. They also know the risk that is involved in these sports. If they are scared or fearful they shouldn't be on the hill/course. They Olympics have set standards so there are no more Eddie the Eagle scenes. It is a sad scene, but after hearing what the Gerogian luger said to his father makes me question whether or not he should have been on the course in the first place.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,173

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    I think its saying something when even among the elite athletes this course had a reputation. Apparantly the competitors had taken to naming that turn the 50/50 turn.
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  15. #14
    Just The Big Picture macro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    6,150

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    That was my first thought as well. After thinking about it for a bit, there isn't enough padding in the world to make hitting a steel beam at 90 mph less than lethal. Higher banking on the turns would be the only thing that might have prevented the tragedy. Once he left the track, at that speed, anything he hit would have likely been fatal.
    Good points. I can't disagree.

    In that case, why couldn't they just enclose the whole thing like a tube at a water park? Make the top half clear so they'd still be visible. It seems like common sense to me, but I admittedly know nothing at all about this sport.

    Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

  16. #15
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,161

    Re: Sad News: Luger Dies in Winter Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Good points. I can't disagree.

    In that case, why couldn't they just enclose the whole thing like a tube at a water park? Make the top half clear so they'd still be visible. It seems like common sense to me, but I admittedly know nothing at all about this sport.
    Frost. It really is impractical to enclose the track when you consider the excess heat that the track would maintain. Then you have the temperature of the ice and freezing that. If they enclosed the track I am pretty sure the clear top would be full of frost and have very little viability.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25