Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Let's kick off the Winter Olympics! The opening ceremonies were very entertaining, but I must say the Olympic Cauldron looks like it was designed by stoners. I wonder how many college kids are going to take photos of each other taking hits off of it.

Sad story about the Georgian Luger posted in the other thread. I thought the tributes during the opening ceremonies were very nice.

Who are Redszoners' favorites in these games? I root for the US first and foremost, but like the Austrians (former home for two years) and the UK team (for my wife's family) if the US doesn't have a favorite.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

I usually root for anyone representing the Stars and Stripes. If I root for anyone else it has to be an underdog or someone from the host country. Host country underdogs are a bonus.

For those who have not seen it, let's review the greatest downhill run of all time. This two minutes did more to endanger adults at ski resorts than anything. For the next two years, I WAS Franz Klammer on every run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVMJKIx34SE
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Bring on the curling!

I like the alpine skiing events. Its insane how difficult those courses are and how fast the skiiers go. Im a Bode Miller fan, probably one of the few.

Today's biggest event the Men's downhill has been postponed. In fact both skiing events for this weekend have now been called off along almost all practices which have already been cancelled. They are going to have a hard time getting the skiing in with the conditions temperatures in the 40s and rain have turned the ski course into slush.

Good sports:
    Olympic Hockey
    Speed Skating
    Downhill/GS/Super G
    Ski Jump
    Bobsled/Luge
    Biathalon/Cross Country Skiing (strangely compelling: I love the frozen spit)
    Annoying Sports:
    Anything with judges
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I watch just about everything (can't handle too much hockey but I do check the medal rounds out) but my heart is always with the figure skating even though the judging tends to suck at times, LOL : The Olympics are such a magical moment for the athletes and I love the human interest stories, seeing the underdogs win which almost always happens in a few of the events, and it's so inspiring to see the athetes shine on such a huge stage. And I need to have a proud mom moment right now because two of my friends who I've known for almost five years now are on the US figure skating team and will compete in the pairs event tomorrow night. Their names are Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig and this is the first time they've ever been on the world stage. They're probably not going to factor into the medals but I'm hoping they have two great performances in the Olympics! From emails and photos that I've seen from them so far, I do know that they're having an awesome time in Vancouver. BTW-I also run their official website so I'm going to toot my own horn by posting the link here. I know you guys won't mind, LOL

Amanda & Mark's official website
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Bring on the curling!
    That's the only thing that remotely interests me about the winter olympics. Otherwise, it's a total snooze-fest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I watch just about everything (can't handle too much hockey but I do check the medal rounds out) but my heart is always with the figure skating even though the judging tends to suck at times, LOL : The Olympics are such a magical moment for the athletes and I love the human interest stories, seeing the underdogs win which almost always happens in a few of the events, and it's so inspiring to see the athetes shine on such a huge stage. And I need to have a proud mom moment right now because two of my friends who I've known for almost five years now are on the US figure skating team and will compete in the pairs event tomorrow night. Their names are Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig and this is the first time they've ever been on the world stage. They're probably not going to factor into the medals but I'm hoping they have two great performances in the Olympics! From emails and photos that I've seen from them so far, I do know that they're having an awesome time in Vancouver. BTW-I also run their official website so I'm going to toot my own horn by posting the link here. I know you guys won't mind, LOL

Amanda & Mark's official website
    Heather great job with the Website. I will have to cheer them on to victory.

I have always wondered whats the training schedule like for an Olympic athlete? For example does a ice skater or snow skier basically practice daily for 4 years? Or is it less not as extreme and they only practice 2-3 times a week for 4 years?? I'm curious because it seems they spend so much time and energy for potentially only a few short opportunities to compete at in the Olympics.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I have always wondered whats the training schedule like for an Olympic athlete? For example does a ice skater or snow skier basically practice daily for 4 years? Or is it less not as extreme and they only practice 2-3 times a week for 4 years?? I'm curious because it seems they spend so much time and energy for potentially only a few short opportunities to compete at in the Olympics.
    I don't know about the other sports but skaters have specific schedules that they do almost every week. Most days they have two or three skating sessions (usually around 45 minutes for each session) and then they do off ice workouts such as strengthening exercises, lifting, or ballet classes at various times during the week too. For my friends at least, in between those sessions they coach at the rink, go to school (Amanda is a student at USF), or do some other types of work as their second (or third!) job. It's expensive to figure skate so most skaters (especially the lower ranked skaters) almost always work or coach to help with their expenses. My friends have both been skating since they were very young and the training increased as they got older and then got more experienced once they became a pairs team. It's quite a journey to get from young skater to Olympian but personally, I think that makes the sweetness of making the team that much better. My friends are sky high in Vancouver and knowing about their long journeys to get to this point makes it sweeter for me to watch them!

The USA all ready has five medals! One gold (Hannah Kearney in mogels), two silvers (Apolo in short track, Spillane in Nordic Combined today which was an AMAZING race), and two bronzes (Shannon Barhke in mogels and JR Celski in short track) and I know the Olympics aren't everyone's cup of tea but they've been pretty great to watch so far. I'm loving it and I can't wait to see the pairs competing tonight. I know I'm going to cry the minute I see my friends on that Olympic ice, LOL (BTW-Thanks for the compliment about the website! )
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Depends on the sport. As annoying as Apollo Ohno is, he supposedly does 4 2-hour intense workouts per day. I don't imagine the curling team does that.

Great finish today during the Nordic combined. I can't imagine cross country skiing that fast, going uphill.
    Stick to your guns.

Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig skated very well.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Depends on the sport. As annoying as Apollo Ohno is, he supposedly does 4 2-hour intense workouts per day..
    He does that every day for 4 years?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?