Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    So, when is game 3 of the best 2 out of 3 series?
    Double Elimination!!
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Damn, wouldn't you love to see them play a full series.
    Absolutely. I could watch these two teams play every night.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    The NHL is crazy if they bypass the Olympics. What a way to get folks back interested into your sport.
    Makes you wonder if MLB made the right decision not to take a break during the Olympics in order to keep baseball in the summer games. With all the NHL players in the games, this tournament has been two weeks of free advertising for the NHL as the announcers have been good about filling us in on who these players play for as their day job. If MLB really wants to grow the game globally, maybe they need to take the Olympics more seriously.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Makes you wonder if MLB made the right decision not to take a break during the Olympics in order to keep baseball in the summer games. With all the NHL players in the games, this tournament has been two weeks of free advertising for the NHL as the announcers have been good about filling us in on who these players play for as their day job. If MLB really wants to grow the game globally, maybe they need to take the Olympics more seriously.
    Moot point since there will be no baseball in the 2012 Olympics.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I know. My understanding was that one of the main reasons the IOC decided to dump baseball was because MLB wasn't going to work out some kind of deal to allow its best players to compete in the Olympics.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Isn't that why they created the WBC?

I know. My understanding was that one of the main reasons the IOC decided to dump baseball was because MLB wasn't going to work out some kind of deal to allow its best players to compete in the Olympics.
    For MLB to accommodate the Summer Olympics would mean that one of two things has to occur:

1. Shorten the season by 2.5 weeks and lose part of the prime July/August gate. Teams won't give up that revenue.

2. Delay the season by 2.5 weeks and turn the World Series into a Thanksgiving tradition every four years.

Fact is, it's easier to accommodate the second option when it is an indoor sport and climate isn't in play. (I'm saying this assuming that's what the NHL does. I don't really know.)
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

This would be so great to get the NHL back, unfortunately, if a casual fan wants to become an NHL fan, they have to watch Versus or NBC on Saturdays. NHL got screwed when they lost the ESPN deal
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

What a great hockey match. Not at all sad to see Canada win. Way to go neighbor!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    That brings up another thing, Women's hockey is likely to get the boot in 2018 because the IOC is not happy that other countries (Europe) haven't been competitive in it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

2. Delay the season by 2.5 weeks and turn the World Series into a Thanksgiving tradition every four years.
    Aren't we almost to that point already though? the WBC is not a replacement IMO, considering when it happens it's Spring Training with different team names.
    Go Gators!

Most MLB teams barely tolerate letting their best pitchers throw one measly inning in the All Star Game during the season.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Nice beaver!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

That still doesn't change the majority of people's biggest beef with the WBC -- potential for injuries. Have your players half-way through and adjusted to the MLB regular season and than throw them into a playoff-like atmosphere Olympics with starting pitchers taking relief roles, short-day rest, etc.. People on hear complained when Aaron Harang was brought upon short-rest to pitch the 12th inning of a game when there was nobody left. If there was an Olympics, short-day rest would be commonplace.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    For MLB to accommodate the Summer Olympics would mean that one of two things has to occur:

1. Shorten the season by 2.5 weeks and lose part of the prime July/August gate. Teams won't give up that revenue.

Fact is, it's easier to accommodate the second option when it is an indoor sport and climate isn't in play. (I'm saying this assuming that's what the NHL does. I don't really know.)
    They should be talking about shortening the season anyway, but I think it would probably be wiser to start the season early than push it later. If MLB wants to expand baseball globally, they have to get baseball taken seriously on the global stage.

Turn Off Ads?