Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    He does that every day for 4 years?
    4 years? Try every day since he got into the sport. Winter Olympians put in the hours, days, months, and years of training that any other athlete does. They just don't have the money that professional athletes get, so they usually have to work a couple jobs just to support themselves. I know the skiers in the Alpine events compete every winter in a series of races that are covered extensively in Europe, but go largely unnoticed in the US. They have to train year round just to keep up their fitness in order to compete during the season. Some of the top athletes are lucky enough to have endorsement deals that help them out financially, but most have to supplement their income with other jobs.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Don't forget that the Olympics are not the only thing theses guys and girls compete in. They have World/National championships in most of these events every year.
    They compete less than most sports, but the work that goes into their performance is every bit or more grueling than higher profile atheletes.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I AM SO HAPPY TONIGHT FOR MY FRIENDS!!!!! They skated their very best and got a personal best score too! YAY!!!!!!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    Don't forget that the Olympics are not the only thing theses guys and girls compete in. They have World/National championships in most of these events every year.
    They compete less than most sports, but the work that goes into their performance is every bit or more grueling than higher profile atheletes.
    Ok, that makes sense.

I just couldn't imagine training 2-3 times a day for your entire life just for one 2 week event even though it is something as incredibly awesome as the Olympics. If I were to focus that much of my time to something,it would be for a sport that paid big bucks like baseball or basketball.

FWIW My 6 year old daughter has taken up ice skating and she participated in her first show Saturday night. It really is interesting to see the older figure skaters up close and personal because you get a good perspective on how tough it is to do the things they do.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Wheres GAC at, we have to root on the hometown boy Louie in the Mens halfpipe Wednesday night!
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Does anyone know if they are going to show the Men's Downhill? It's the only event that I want to see and instead I'm watching 15k Cross Country. They better show it.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

They're probably going to show it on tape delay in prime time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    They're probably going to show it on tape delay in prime time.
    They better....

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    They better....
    Gonna storm NBC if they don't?
    Go Gators!

I know it lost them a ton of money, but I really liked the way NBC carried the games in 2002 and 2006 with CNBC MSNBC BRAVO and USA carrying all the events live(or close to live) and NBC airing figure skating and medals at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

DOWNHILL!!! The thing that I love about the Winter Games is the Speed. People should never throw their bodies at 90+ mph over snow/ice, but for some reason, they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    That's the only thing that remotely interests me about the winter olympics. Otherwise, it's a total snooze-fest for me.
    That's cool. Have you ever tried it?

It's my winter sport of coice lol.

Its officially winter and its the Olympics. Piles of snow outside and about as winter as it can get. But a fire in the fireplace.

I stayed up till midnight to watch pairs ice skating with wife and daughter. I would never do that under normal circumstances.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Its officially winter and its the Olympics. Piles of snow outside and about as winter as it can get. But a fire in the fireplace.

I stayed up till midnight to watch pairs ice skating with wife and daughter. I would never do that under normal circumstances.
    That's fantastic! What did you think of the competition? I'm curious as an avid skating fan what you, a casual viewer, thought about everything.

My friends skated great again last night and got another personal best score! I am SO PROUD of them for doing so well in their first big competition. Their second to last lift (the one handed one) got the highest element score of ALL the pairs which is a really big deal for them. I wish more pairs had skated clean (bummed for the German team who I adore but didn't have their best performance last night) but overall it was a pretty good competition.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    DOWNHILL!!! The thing that I love about the Winter Games is the Speed. People should never throw their bodies at 90+ mph over snow/ice, but for some reason, they do.
    I haven't watched much of the games but I did see the men's downhill skiing last night. I have skied before, which helped leave me in absolute awe of the skill and speed of the competitors. Simply amazing.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?