Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

I have watched a lot of the mens curling on USA the last couple days. They are now 0-4 and should easily be 3-1. They flat out choked 3 times in a row. It's actually been painful to watch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Womens Curling Skipper just missed 2 chances for points. USA behind 2-0 going into the 3rd End.

Earlier, I watched the US beat up on Norway in Ice Hockey - 6-1 was the final.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Earlier, I watched the US beat up on Norway in Ice Hockey - 6-1 was the final.
    Slopy game for the US though. Norway had several good chances that they didn't capitalize on. Also the US scored 3 goals in the last 4 minutes of the game. Wasn't as bad as the score looked.

Watching women's curling, which is quite compelling. The Danish team looks kind of punk rock in their skirts. I'm just amazed at the skill and strategy these ladies have to use in getting these rocks down the ice.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Wow, the US women just really messed up their last rock in that end for curling. Failed to get it far enough and gave up 3 points to the Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I have watched a lot of the mens curling on USA the last couple days. They are now 0-4 and should easily be 3-1. They flat out choked 3 times in a row. It's actually been painful to watch.
    It's amazing how close some of these teams are in ability. It's hard to make mistakes and get away with it.

Wow, the US women just really messed up their last rock in that end for curling. Failed to get it far enough and gave up 3 points to the Danish.
    Doesn't look good for our ladies here...down 2 with 3 stones left

US Men win Gold in a huge upset in Men's Figure Skating.

Awesome! First time we beat the Russians in that sport in 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    US Men win Gold in a huge upset in Men's Figure Skating.

Awesome! First time we beat the Russians in that sport in 22 years.
    Apparently people are pretty upset that the American won gold. They said he did not skate a gold medal performance. Can't comment on it because I was watching the back of my eye lids at the time.

The other thing that bugs me, at least with the men, is all this focus on their outfits. I've heard more about Johnny Weir's outfits than I've heard about most of the other sports at the games. If skaters want non-figure skaters to take the sport seriously, they need to get rid of all the silly ice capades costumes and just wear a national team uniform so that people can focus on their skating. It's the Olympics, not a fashion show.
    Dave Letterman said why do they all look like Edward Scissorhands?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Apparently people are pretty upset that the American won gold. They said he did not skate a gold medal performance. Can't comment on it because I was watching the back of my eye lids at the time.
    I can't wait until they make Ballroom Dancing an Olympic Sport.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    It's the technical skill vs. the artist argument that's been going on in figure skating for years. Personally, I thought Plushenko was sloppy in his jumps, his spins weren't as good, and his footwork wasn't as hard as Evan's so I agreed with the result although I'm shocked the judges actually did it. I thought they'd give Plushenko huge tech marks for the quad which would seal it for him but they actually looked at the whole programs last night. It seems like this judging panel appreciated the transitions, spins, and artistic style a lot more than four years ago (probably why Jeremy Abbott ended up moving up to ninth place overall even though he had two big errors in his long program) and Plushenko didn't pay as much attention to those details in his program. Evan isn't even my favorite skater (I prefer the Japanese men and Johnny and Jeremy are two of my fave US guys) but I agree with the result and I'm very happy for him.

BTW-Elvis Stoiko is a tool. I know not many of you will even know who that is but I just read his review at Yahoo Sports of the event last night and he just sounds like sour grapes. IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT THE JUMPS. I would much rather watch a complete program with slightly easier jumps (it's not like Evan didn't do anything hard last night) than a technically challenging program with crappy spins, no transitions, and easy footwork. Whatever dude. :thumbdown
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Thanks Heather. That article on Yahoo is what I read and I have a limited understanding of ice skating.

As for curling I find it fun to watch but frustrating at the same time. The sport just looks easy. It was frustrating watching the American miss shots thinking, come on guys its can't be that difficult. I don't mean to take anything away from the curlers, I imagine it takes a great deal of touch to make the shots they do, but if I see another American slide a stone too far my head may explode.

i don't care one iota about figure skating... but the other skating with the hitting was pretty awesome last night, two OT games and an upset of Russia, now that's an Olympic moment... and without the guitar solos in the background that are equaled in stank only by the ones that are placed in any episode of 90210

Turn Off Ads?