Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think the snowboarding has been a very good addition. I like watching the half pipe, (personally I think they should add the skiing half pipe. Those skiers get higher than boarders) and enjoy the snowboarder cross. I really can't wait to see the skiers take to the course.

Its funny I have met a bunch of skiers on the slopes who have switched to snowboarding after injuring their knees a couple of times. Im told its much easier on your knees boarding than it is skiing.
    Agreed- I enjoy it a lot.
    But I'll never give up my boards. The key to keeping your knees is to admit that you're not twenty anymore. That and biking to and from work everyday keep my legs in skiing shape.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The USA womens skipper made a key shot to beat the Russians. The USA Mens Curling Coach benched the skipper making him the alternate. The Former alternate is now the Skipper but throwing Third Rock. Hopefully the Men can win this match.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    The USA womens skipper made a key shot to beat the Russians. The USA Mens Curling Coach benched the skipper making him the alternate. The Former alternate is now the Skipper but throwing Third Rock. Hopefully the Men can win this match.
    Awesome shot by Jason Smith in the 5th. Curled it right onto the button on the last shot to tie up the game. Nice to see a shot go our way.

Finally US mens curling wins one!
    France had to make a perfect shot and couldn't squeze it in.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    It's the technical skill vs. the artist argument that's been going on in figure skating for years. Personally, I thought Plushenko was sloppy in his jumps, his spins weren't as good, and his footwork wasn't as hard as Evan's so I agreed with the result although I'm shocked the judges actually did it. I thought they'd give Plushenko huge tech marks for the quad which would seal it for him but they actually looked at the whole programs last night. It seems like this judging panel appreciated the transitions, spins, and artistic style a lot more than four years ago (probably why Jeremy Abbott ended up moving up to ninth place overall even though he had two big errors in his long program) and Plushenko didn't pay as much attention to those details in his program. Evan isn't even my favorite skater (I prefer the Japanese men and Johnny and Jeremy are two of my fave US guys) but I agree with the result and I'm very happy for him.

BTW-Elvis Stoiko is a tool. I know not many of you will even know who that is but I just read his review at Yahoo Sports of the event last night and he just sounds like sour grapes. IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT THE JUMPS. I would much rather watch a complete program with slightly easier jumps (it's not like Evan didn't do anything hard last night) than a technically challenging program with crappy spins, no transitions, and easy footwork. Whatever dude. :thumbdown
    Heather, what you saw is what everyone else saw (who's not a biased Russian). 6 of 9 judges were from Eastern Bloc Countries and they still voted against Plushenko. Plushenko had been giving poor performances for the last year+, but European judges continued to give him high marks making him believe that he could come to Vancouver and have the Gold handed to him. Sorry, Comrade....this ain't 1972 anymore.

Nyet Gold for You!

-----------------------------------------
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-20-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Watching the men's Super-G tonight, and then some skeleton after that, I wish NBC would give us more. I know they have a limited amount of time in prime-time to show us feature events, but why not show early heats in the sliding events and some of the earlier racers in the alpine events during the day, and save the last heat or the last 5-10 competitors for the prime-time show? It really seems like they don't do those sports justice by just showing 5 or 6 racers, a few of which are the lower ranked Americans who don't have a chance of medaling. I know we've all been enjoying the curling, but MSNBC and CNBC have practically been the curling channels this past week. Why not skip a few games and mix up the daytime broadcast a little?

In the alternative, I'd like them to at least mention the racers who came in between the ones they show, maybe with a short clip of their run and a mention of their time. It's a little disconcerting to see an American make his or her run and take the lead, only to see the next racer go, but their now trying to beat someone else's time, with no mention that anyone has gone in between. If I'm not paying close attention, I'm wondering what happened to the guy who just went? Did I see his time wrong and he didn't take the lead?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

As usual, a figure skating event ends with claims of being robbed and complaints against judging. The only thing I can think of is to ask, "What would Brian Boitano do?"

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Men's Curling now on MSNBC. The USA Skipper is back in but throwing Third Rock and Yesterday's Skipper is back to being the alternate.

The USA Mens Curling Team won in the 11th End. The Womens Team plays at 5pm on CNBC.

The USA womens skipper made a key shot to beat the British in the 11th End.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    As usual, a figure skating event ends with claims of being robbed and complaints against judging. The only thing I can think of is to ask, "What would Brian Boitano do?"

He would say that Evan deserved to win the gold medal the other night which he actually said on both The Today Show and the skating show on Universal Sports yesterday, LOL

People seem to be so negative about these Olympics so far but I'm enjoying the Games. The USA is doing really well, there are a lot of great stories about athletes from other countries, and the events themselves have been pretty exciting too. Yeah, maybe NBC should do a better job showing some of the events full out but overall, it's been very enjoyable and I'm having a great time watching everything. I've even had fun watching the events like biathalon, cross country skiing, and nordic combined...none of which I will ever watch at any other time except during the Olympics, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Man, I can barely watch the short track races; those guys are so close to wiping out the entire time. And I feel bad about this, because I have met some Koreans here in Bloomington who are all really nice people and who all seem like they'd rather lose a limb than do anything dishonest, but I have developed a real dislike for the Korean team.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I am enjoying what I'm seeing so far, but my only complaint is the same one I've had for years. I want to see more actual competition and fewer of the little profile pieces and side stories. Other than that, I really like watching the winter events more than the summer just because I think they're more entertaining to watch.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

So, tonight, I can watch figure skating and curling in HD, but have to watch US/Canada in SD on MSNBC?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    So, tonight, I can watch figure skating and curling in HD, but have to watch US/Canada in SD on MSNBC?
    You would think they would show the hockey game on NBC to get the largest audience possible. But maybe figure skating is a bigger draw than hockey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?