Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

If Canada had a point man on the power play who played half the game that Raffy played then they could have walked with the win. Cudos to the USA who took advantage of their speed, didn't let Canada pound them and rode the hotter goalie to the win, despite Canada having a deeper talent pool. Speaking of the talent pool, Canada needs more grinders, they are deep talent wise but many guys playing in the 3rd or 4th line in grinder situations but playing the type of game that isn't needed then. That's when the USA was able to take the game to the Canadians net at their best.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Re: the post above mine.

Oh those silly Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Bode Miller! That was the first mens alpine event where I had not inadvertently heard of the outcome before seeing it and what a great surprise to see him win GOLD.
    It was great to see that, I hadn't heard anything either and it fun to watch. I wish NBC would have shown more racers, but I was getting nervous seeing racer after racer come down. I was almost certain Svindal was going to push Bode a spot lower after he had done so in his first 2 events.

With all due respect to Apollo Ono, I consider Bode the top male winter athlete. 5 golds in every discipline is almost unheard of. If he medals in the slalom or GS it may be one of the greatest individual olympic performances.

As for the hockey I had no problem with what NBC did. I have MSNBC in HD so it was great to watch. Hockey just doesn't get the ratings that a hodgepodge of sports can get.

Miller played a great game in the goal. I love watching olympic hockey, great players who haven't played together for all that long means we get intense hockey with a lot of goal scoring. The Canadians seemed like they were on the attack for the majority of the game. Sidney Crosby did look a little soft but Rick Nash is a beast.

It was an all star game with hitting. I loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If Canada had a point man on the power play who played half the game that Raffy played then they could have walked with the win. Cudos to the USA who took advantage of their speed, didn't let Canada pound them and rode the hotter goalie to the win, despite Canada having a deeper talent pool. Speaking of the talent pool, Canada needs more grinders, they are deep talent wise but many guys playing in the 3rd or 4th line in grinder situations but playing the type of game that isn't needed then. That's when the USA was able to take the game to the Canadians net at their best.
    Miller saved the US last night. That, and the willingness of the defensemen to drop down and block as many shots as possible.

Edit: And it didn't hurt that Canada had so many SJ Sharks. We all know how they fare in big games.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

They had the ice dancing finals last night and I would like to opine publically that NBCs color commentary was severely lacking. 99% of us marvel at what these skaters can do but have no idea what the difference is in a Gold Metal and a 5th place finish. For example the US team lost out on a metal to the final team, a pair from Russia. I would like to know what the Russians did that was lacking in the American's program. I have no idea. I don't know what these skaters are scored on and there is precious little commentary by the announcers while the skaters are performing. How can I follow a sport where I don't know how to score it? Give me Dick Button any day...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Heather, what you saw is what everyone else saw (who's not a biased Russian). 6 of 9 judges were from Eastern Bloc Countries and they still voted against Plushenko. Plushenko had been giving poor performances for the last year+, but European judges continued to give him high marks making him believe that he could come to Vancouver and have the Gold handed to him. Sorry, Comrade....this ain't 1972 anymore.

Nyet Gold for You!

-----------------------------------------
    Congratulations to Plushenko for winning the Platinum medal (in his mind only).

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...urn=oly,221408
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Plushenko is a tool and slightly delusional.

I'm so proud of Meryl & Charlie for winning the silver medal last night! I've met them several times over the last few years and they're wonderful people. I remember seeing them compete as junior level skaters several years ago at the US National Championships and now they're Olympic medalists. That is SO COOL.

Team USA won a silver medal in one of the team Nordic Combined events today. This Olympics is turning out SO well for Team USA. We're winning medals in events that we've never even been close to medaling in before which is very cool. Go Team USA!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Plushenko is a tool and slightly delusional.
    Slightly?

I'm so proud of Meryl & Charlie for winning the silver medal last night! I've met them several times over the last few years and they're wonderful people. I remember seeing them compete as junior level skaters several years ago at the US National Championships and now they're Olympic medalists. That is SO COOL.
    I didn't see them skate. I turned it on when the Canadians were skating> I was on the phone with the sound off but you could tell they were so in sync and were almost like they were one with each other. The Russians and Belbin & Agusto were great but they weren't in the same league as the Canadians. That was nice that they (deservedly) won since they were so down and out about the hockey loss the night before.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Slightly?
    Ok, maybe a little more than slightly. I was trying to be nice, LOL

The US ladies did a nice job in their short programs last night but the top two were outstanding (Kim and Asada) and deserve to be first and second respectively. Joannie Rochette stole my heart though for skating such a beautiful performance just two days after losing her mother to a heart attack. Wow, that took so much courage and so much strength and I was sobbing right along with her after she hit her final pose. She was outstanding and whether she medals or not, she's a champion in my eyes just for being out there.
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 02-24-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Canada vs Russia at 4:30 PST... I'm PUMPED, this will be the marquee game so far.

NBC is streaming the US v. Switzerland if anyone is interested:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/ass...es+switzerland
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Canada vs Russia at 4:30 PST... I'm PUMPED, this will be the marquee game so far.
    Canadians are whipping the Russians right now 4-1 in the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Canadians are whipping the Russians right now 4-1 in the 1st.
    Well I think the Canadians are awake now. 6-1...make that 6-2 as I type this and the Russians had to pull the goalie.

US won but struggled 2-0 against the Neutrals (last goal was an empty neter with about 10 seconds left)

Turn Off Ads?