Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CF Drew Stubbs

Re: CF Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dickerson will strike out a little more, walk a little more, play slightly less defense and steal fewer bases. Stubbs has bigger raw power and maybe a tad more current power, which is what really could separate the two in the future. For today though, the two are pretty similar players.
    A Dickerson/Heisey platoon is a better player than Stubbs will ever be.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Where's all of JimBo's 5 tool outfielders when we need 'em? I know, just like Bowden....they're long gone.
    Balentien would have been Bowden's #1 target.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Nobody will be rooting for Drew Stubbs more than me but I honestly believe Chris Dickerson is just as good if not better than Drew Stubbs.

I'll duck and cover now.
    Dickerson is also going to be 28 this season where Stubbs will be 25. We have most likely seen Dickerson's ceiling and have yet to see Stubbs' for various reasons.

Dickerson is a 4th OF type where Stubbs at least has the potential to be better than that.

Dickerson is also going to be 28 this season where Stubbs will be 25. We have most likely seen Dickerson's ceiling and have yet to see Stubbs' for various reasons.

Dickerson is a 4th OF type where Stubbs at least has the potential to be better than that.
    Agree.

Put Dickerson in the LF competition. Stubbs has shown he's worth getting a fulltime shot in CF. I'd give him his 600 ABs this year -- if he falters, move him down in the order. But you have to see what kind of progress he can make with the bat. There's just too much talent there to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't care. I'm still euphoric that Taveras is now longer in the equation.
    I'm glad to see that the Nats have signed Taveras to a minor league deal, because I wouldn't have put it past this organization to have tried the same.
    Though the names of Patterson and Taveras have been expunged from the current roster, a contributing culprit and poor theory or superstition of batting low on base percentage in front of players paid to drive them in has not ended as far as we know, nor has the particular problem of a roster filled with players who do not hit right handed pitching very well.

So we come to the beginnings of a new with a hope in players and a manager being able do what they have not done of recent seasons that have passed. Perhaps baseball luck will be on the fans side in 2010. Center, Left, and right will have to be better than they have been when they step up to the plate.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 02-17-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Centerfield will be Drew Stubbs' job to lose in Goodyear, AZ. I liked watching him play this past season and I like his upside. Look forward to watching him again in 2010.

Keep him in the leadoff spot in the order as well!
    You seem to be a huge Stubbs fan and that is cool. But is there more to it than just you liked watching him play in '09? I hope Stubbs turns into a perennial All-Star for the Reds, but I must say I'm concerned when I look at his overall minor league numbers. I do love that he plays some mean defense though.

Leadoff spot? Yeah, probably given who our manager is (CF and SS almost-always 1-2 in the lineup). But should Stubbs bat leadoff this season? That's debatable. I would prefer to make him earn that spot than just give it to him. I would prefer to see Cabrera lead off, followed by some order of Rolen, Votto, Phillips and Bruce. That would put the LF (Dickerson, Nix, Balentien, Francisco or Heisey) 6th in the lineup, Hernandez 7th and Stubbs 8th.

But Dusty? Yeah, he'll likely concur with you and put Stubbs in the leadoff spot. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I think Drew will struggle a lot this year at the plate, but I would love to be wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Got a chrystal ball or something? You speak with such assurance.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    If Stubbs turns into a guy that hits 20 HR's a year, its very doubtful that platoon is better than Stubbs given his defense being better than both of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If Stubbs turns into a guy that hits 20 HR's a year, its very doubtful that platoon is better than Stubbs given his defense being better than both of those guys.

The way I'd put it is that Stubbs has .800 OPS potential, given his good power. And he is stellar in centerfield.

That's a good combination. I think he is by far the Reds' best centerfield candidate. Dickerson and Heisey are in the left field/reserve outfielder mix IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    the names of Patterson and Taveras have been expunged from the current roster

"Let the names of Taveras and Patterson be stricken from every book, tablet, and score card. Stricken from every pylon and obelisk of Cincinnati. Let their names be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of Red fans for all time."
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    [img]

"Let the names of Taveras and Patterson be stricken from every book, tablet, and score card. Stricken from every pylon and obelisk of Cincinnati. Let their names be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of Red fans for all time."
    No because as it is taught in every HS social studies course, those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. They should build a statue to Taveras and put it outside the Reds offices with a bronzed copy of his contract so that the warning lives on.

Turn Off Ads?