Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CF Drew Stubbs

CF Drew Stubbs

Centerfield will be Drew Stubbs' job to lose in Goodyear, AZ. I liked watching him play this past season and I like his upside. Look forward to watching him again in 2010.

Keep him in the leadoff spot in the order as well!
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: CF Drew Stubbs

I'd rather see Dickerson leadoff and Stubbs hit 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'd rather see Dickerson leadoff and Stubbs hit 9th.
    A la Tony LaRussa? I think Stubbs will be better than Dickerson in all phases. Not hatin' on Dickerson. I like him and I love his heart and hustle. Just my observation.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    A la Tony LaRussa? I think Stubbs will be better than Dickerson in all phases. Not hatin' on Dickerson. I like him and I love his heart and hustle. Just my observation.
    I think it's fine for Stubbs to leadoff once he proves he's a better on base guy. Dickerson is more proven (or less unproven, depending on how you look at it) at being able to get on-base. Only Votto got on more often of any player with >200 PAs in 2009.

This is all purely academic because I'm pretty sure the stone tablet lineups with Stubbs name carved into the leadoff spot have already been ordered.

If the Reds had one of the game's top 5 or 10 best hitting left fielders, then they could platoon Stubbs and Dickerson in CF.
    Last edited by Far East; 02-15-2010 at 03:32 PM.

As it with most baseball statistics, there is more to it than simply OBP. Dickerson is an excellent 2 hitter. Batting LH, with Stubbs a threat to steal on first, forces the defense to hold Stubbs and opens up the right side of the infield for Dickerson. It also gives the opposing pitchers two things to worry about. Dickerson is likely to see more fastballs as a result.

Of course, this presumes that Stubbs is as productive this year as he was last year. If his OBP is low, all bets are off. Still, in mid-Feb, batting Dickerson behind Stubbs looks like a good plan.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    As it with most baseball statistics, there is more to it than simply OBP.
    If his OBP is low, all bets are off.
    I see.

Of course, this presumes that Stubbs is as productive this year as he was last year. If his OBP is low, all bets are off. Still, in mid-Feb, batting Dickerson behind Stubbs looks like a good plan.
    But Stubbs' OBP was low last year...

I agree. As of February Stubbs in CF, Dickerson in LF looks like the way to go.

Of course this OF may end up being juggled several ways this year for many different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    But Stubbs' OBP was low last year...
    That is certainly true of his 180 major league AB's last year. In the minors it has been consistently higher, about the same as Dickerson's in the minors. Stubbs has also been consistent in having a K/BB around 2. It was 3.25 in his major league stint. Stubbs's advancement has been gradual and he has shown an ability to adjust at each level. While this may be no guarantee that he will improve, I think that an argument can be made that he will improve. Let's see how it plays out. We might even have our answer before spring training ends.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Where's all of JimBo's 5 tool outfielders when we need 'em? I know, just like Bowden....they're long gone.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Where's all of JimBo's 5 tool outfielders when we need 'em? I know, just like Bowden....they're long gone.
    Chris Dickerson is still around. He is a Jimbo guy.

Nobody will be rooting for Drew Stubbs more than me but I honestly believe Chris Dickerson is just as good if not better than Drew Stubbs.

I'll duck and cover now.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Nobody will be rooting for Drew Stubbs more than me but I honestly believe Chris Dickerson is just as good if not better than Drew Stubbs.

I'll duck and cover now.
    Dickerson will strike out a little more, walk a little more, play slightly less defense and steal fewer bases. Stubbs has bigger raw power and maybe a tad more current power, which is what really could separate the two in the future. For today though, the two are pretty similar players.

I don't care. I'm still euphoric that Taveras is now longer in the equation.

I'm glad to see that the Nats have signed Taveras to a minor league deal, because I wouldn't have put it past this organization to have tried the same.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-17-2010 at 04:24 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?